"Green" Air Conditioner (DIY)

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
I'm not a tree hugger or ultra-environmentalist but I don't mind saving a buck. I came across this really good idea for creating your own do-it-yourself air conditioner. There are two or three versions of this thing and it can run on standard "grid" electricity; a twelve volt battery; or a small, cheap solar panel. Check it out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3YvF4eVQO0]Homemade AC Air Cooler DIY - Can be Solar Powered! - Home/Auto Air cooler 40F Air! - 12VDC Fan - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg]Homemade Air Conditioner DIY - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Air Cooler! DIY- can be solar powered! - YouTube[/ame]

I used to put a bucket of ice behind the fan when I lived in Iowa. Worked pretty well as long as you were in front of it, lol.

I used to put a bucket of ice behind the fan when I lived in Iowa. Worked pretty well as long as you were in front of it, lol.

I used to do that too. It helped but just a little. I've also had those huge, cumbersome swamp coolers on my roof when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. They worked pretty well unless it got humid then they didn't work at all.

My wife moved to Missouri several months ago and was going to get a window unit (air conditioner) but she's on a fixed income and can hardly make ends meet. Those window units kick the monthly utility bills up significantly. That's what got me searching for a cheap alternative.

I'm going to make a couple of these DIY units and get the cheap solar panels so that she can stay cool and save cash. I will probably make one for myself too.

Last edited:
Cool but......I like my central AC thanks!!!!

Guys like Abe, Mamooth and The Liq probably have theirs hooked up already!!!!! Go......go.....go s0ns!!!:D

Love my central AC and use it throughout the summer. But with this huge progressive push to "go green" I would have thought the tree huggers would trip all over themselves with excitement. Guess not! :lol:

Cool but......I like my central AC thanks!!!!

Guys like Abe, Mamooth and The Liq probably have theirs hooked up already!!!!! Go......go.....go s0ns!!!:D

Love my central AC and use it throughout the summer. But with this huge progressive push to "go green" I would have thought the tree huggers would trip all over themselves with excitement. Guess not! :lol:

LMAO....indeed......that's because their shit isn't about the environment and never has been. Environmentalism is the #1 tool for fucking with the capitalistic system and these cheesedicks in here are well aware of that. Its in any progressive playbook......along with healthcare. Get ahold of the healthcare and the energy and the people are fucked, which basically means the sheep herd broadens........of course, this is utopia for these fuckers.

The proof?

China and India continue to fuck the planet with pollution yet these cheesedicks want America to self dick themselves in the ass with the big one. Its a farce.......beyond stoopid. But its about achieving the agenda and doesn't have dick to do with the environment.

Last edited:
Those solutions, while useful, are hardly GREEN.

Hell they're wildly inefficient if anything.

My green solution imvoles drawing cool air from the basement up through the house and out through the roof vents.

Course you need a full basement to get enough cooled air to make a difference.

But that system can reduce the heat in my house around 10 degress compared to outside heat,

The cost of running this system is a large fan in the attic..in a truly hot month it may cost me $20 to run that fan all month.

There's your GREEN solution.

Geothermal air conditioning

Last edited:

My green solution imvoles drawing cool air from the basement up through the house and out through the roof vents.

But that system can reduce the heat in my house around 10 degress compared to outside heat,

The cost of running this system is a large fan in the attic..in a truly hot month it may cost me $20 to run that fan all month.

I had something similar when I lived in St. Joseph, MO. The property owner installed a huge fan in the window but it pointed outward. There was no basement but that thing really did work at cooling the place down.

But I disagree that the videos don't show some "green" solutions to cooling the air. A piece of ice and a small fan powered by a cheap solar panel is about as green as you can get. I'm going to make one for myself. Not because I give two hoots about the "green" nonsense but because I like saving money. With taxes and inflation on the increase I have to find ways to pay the rising cost of living.

I'm not a tree hugger or ultra-environmentalist but I don't mind saving a buck. I came across this really good idea for creating your own do-it-yourself air conditioner. There are two or three versions of this thing and it can run on standard "grid" electricity; a twelve volt battery; or a small, cheap solar panel. Check it out:

Homemade AC Air Cooler DIY - Can be Solar Powered! - Home/Auto Air cooler 40F Air! - 12VDC Fan - YouTube

Homemade Air Conditioner DIY - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Air Cooler! DIY- can be solar powered! - YouTube

This won`t save you a buck because the fridge that made the ice is consuming more power in the process...and unless your fridge is outside you aren`t making any progress, cooling down your house or apartment.
However there is a simple way to make an AC more efficient. All it takes is little bit of water sprayed over the high pressure side of the radiator.....and watch how the amps drop ( by as much as 30% !) along with the air temperature on the decompression loop. You can buy a "pre cool mist kit" that installs on any AC, but they are simple enough to DIY.

Last edited:

I had something similar when I lived in St. Joseph, MO. The property owner installed a huge fan in the window but it pointed outward. There was no basement but that thing really did work at cooling the place down.

But I disagree that the videos don't show some "green" solutions to cooling the air. A piece of ice and a small fan powered by a cheap solar panel is about as green as you can get. I'm going to make one for myself. Not because I give two hoots about the "green" nonsense but because I like saving money. With taxes and inflation on the increase I have to find ways to pay the rising cost of living.

Once you add in the energy to make the ICE and store it, it's still a wash.. And the solar is only good for about 6 hours a day. Editec didn't need the ice. And if you drill a big hole in the ground and pre-chill the air down there --- Now that makes sense.. Just have to be careful about mold and cleaning in all that extra ducting and fans.

Homemade AC Air Cooler DIY - Can be Solar Powered! - Home/Auto Air cooler 40F Air! - 12VDC Fan - YouTube

Homemade Air Conditioner DIY - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Air Cooler! DIY- can be solar powered! - YouTube

This won`t save you a buck because the fridge that made the ice is consuming more power in the process...and unless your fridge is outside you aren`t making any progress, cooling down your house or apartment.
However there is a simple way to make an AC more efficient. All it takes is little bit of water sprayed over the high pressure side of the radiator.....and watch how the amps drop ( by as much as 30% !) along with the air temperature on the decompression loop. You can buy a "pre cool mist kit" that installs on any AC, but they are simple enough to DIY.

I have a full sized freezer that's set for zero all day every day. If I put 5 one-gallon water jugs in there at the same time they will be frozen in a matter of minutes and the freezer won't have to work hard to get them there. Compare that to having my central air running all day and the difference in cost would be very significant. I know ... I pay the bills every summer. Since I live alone I would simply point my little, DIY ice cooler right at me and save at least 50 to 75 bucks a month.

Now, if I give your idea a try I could still use my AC during the hottest portion of the summer and save that way as well. So ... thanks for the idea.

No way this can be "green"! It uses electricity probably generated by a coal or oil powered plant.

Now, make it a bucket of ice with a real human or caged animal moving the fan - THEN it would be GREEN. :eusa_whistle:

No way this can be "green"! It uses electricity probably generated by a coal or oil powered plant.

Now, make it a bucket of ice with a real human or caged animal moving the fan - THEN it would be GREEN. :eusa_whistle:

Sorta like Soylant Green? It won't be truly green until we burn aborted fetuses. Then and ONLY then will we fully achieve "enlightenment," "higher thought," and ultimate "civilization."

Since I live alone I would simply point my little, DIY ice cooler right at me and save at least 50 to 75 bucks a month.

So you're spot-cooling.

Now, the original form of spot cooling is a cold beverage. Direct, sensible and practical, which is why it's more of a liberal thing. Sadly, most conservatives don't appreciate a proper cold one. They're more into those little frufru umbrella drinks where all the ice gets wasted.

Since I live alone I would simply point my little, DIY ice cooler right at me and save at least 50 to 75 bucks a month.

So you're spot-cooling.

Now, the original form of spot cooling is a cold beverage. Direct, sensible and practical, which is why it's more of a liberal thing. Sadly, most conservatives don't appreciate a proper cold one. They're more into those little frufru umbrella drinks where all the ice gets wasted.

I'm man enough that I can face life without anesthetizing myself. :D

Used to drink everyone under the table but I drank straight tequila -- not wimpy beer.

We never had a/c in the house in which we were raised. But there was a whole house fan in the second floor ceiling. which really helped. Still, I remember horribly hot days and nights. We'd freeze water in those half-gallon wax milk cartons and place them in front of the basement door, then turn on the big exhaust fan.

Forum List

Back