EV's and solar panels

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
I Tried to Power Three Electric Vehicles With Solar Panels
Powering three modern electric vehicles with my home's solar array and an extension cord. Can the sun be your endless fuel pump?

Toward the end of last year, I bought a solar array: 24 LG panels up on my roof paired with Enphase microinverters, transforming sunlight into 7.4 kilowatts of electricity. The company that installed them produced a fancy chart that showed my projected breakeven point, the moment when I'll have saved as much on my electric bill as I spent on the system. Saving on utilities is fine, but I had a more radical purpose in mind.

Modern electric cars are so good that they transformed the way I thought about solar. Those panels could be more than just a straightforward supplement to grid power. They could be a private gas station, a bottomless well of electrons to fuel my trips to the grocery store, to the kids' ballgames, to distant cities. Nobody gets ecstatic about saving ten cents per kilowatt-hour on the electric bill. But paying $0.00 per gallon, permanently, to drive anywhere you want? That would be supremely awesome. You'd want to sign up for that deal—if it exists.
...............................................................................................................................
Over nine days with the Model X, I cover 704.8 miles, using 281.4 kwh. That's a whole lot of driving in a big, luxurious, all-wheel-drive SUV doing 75 mph with the air conditioning on blast—a worst-case scenario for EV energy use. When I take the Model X on an interstate road trip and log 247.5 miles, I burn through 95 kwh of energy. I'd need twice as many solar panels to even get close to producing that much energy from a day of sunlight. Out of necessity, and to simulate the dim winter months when the Model X would outrun my panels' trickle, I supplement solar power with public infrastructure. In town, I use a 240-volt public charger, which gives the Tesla 16 miles of range per hour spent plugged in and charging—my garage's 110-volt three-prong outlet adds range at a rate of only three miles per hour. On I-95, I stopped at a 400-volt Tesla Supercharger station for a fill-up that, at one point, was recharging the battery at a rate of 296 miles of range per hour.

But when I drove the Tesla within my normal routine, the Model X coexisted just fine with my home-brewed power. The solar array plays a long game, punching in for its job day after day, whether you drive or not. On an average month, the panels generate enough energy to power the Tesla for nearly 2,200 miles—far more than I ever drive, even allowing for the occasional road trip. The sun eventually comes out ahead.

I Tried to Power Three Electric Vehicles With Solar Panels

Even with someone else doing the installation, the panels would pay for themselves in three years if the gas goes back up to $4. Maybe five years if the gas remains at $2.50.

Can drive 5,000 miles without a single, solitary solar recharge ... even in the middle of Winter ...

maxresdefault.jpg

But ... different strokes ...

9000 dollars for a four wheel bicycle with batteries. Golf cart batteries are around $130. If you like to travel are you going to be able to recharge in Montana. How about the great smokies? 80 grande for your Tesla, 50 grande for an eco boost used tahoe. 30000 buys 15000 gal of gas. 20 miles a gallon gives you 300,000 miles, 15 miles a gal gives you 225,000, 10 miles a gal gives you 150,000 miles. Assume tires and maintenance same on both vehicles. Gas available everywhere. Chargers, not so much. Not here yet.

9000 dollars for a four wheel bicycle with batteries. Golf cart batteries are around $130. If you like to travel are you going to be able to recharge in Montana. How about the great smokies? 80 grande for your Tesla, 50 grande for an eco boost used tahoe. 30000 buys 15000 gal of gas. 20 miles a gallon gives you 300,000 miles, 15 miles a gal gives you 225,000, 10 miles a gal gives you 150,000 miles. Assume tires and maintenance same on both vehicles. Gas available everywhere. Chargers, not so much. Not here yet.

tesla-superchargers-usa-01.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

© Tesla

From zero to 2,832 in less than 3 years
If Elon Musk has superpowers, they are Thinking Big and Actually Making Stuff Happen. Over the years, countless interesting concepts and computer-generated graphics and mockups of cool ideas have crossed the TreeHugger editorial desks, and we've written about a lot of them, but most never actually saw the light of day. Or if they did, they were only made in small numbers and never really had a big impact.

Musk had a big vision - change the whole transportation industry so that it runs on electricity rather than fossil fuels, and meanwhile, he wanted to also clean up the power grid with SolarCity - and for the past decade he's been executing it step-by-step, making things happen. At first many people were confused about the ultimate goal, thinking that he was just making toys for rich people, but the sports cars were just the best way to bootstrap the next phase of the plan, and the luxury sedan is just the way to bootstrap the next phase of the plan (Model 3) and finance battery Gigafactories and worldwide networks of clean-powered, free-to-use, super-fast-charging stations...

Tesla passes 500 Supercharger Stations milestone (over 2,800 individual Superchargers)

This is from a year ago. And many more have been added since then. Plus many independent business have added their own chargers to get the business of the people driving EV's. And, as the price comes down for the batteries, and the density get greater, more and more people will be buying them.

Maybe these last eight years will be considered the age of the con man. Obama is finally being outed and Elon is not far behind. It's just amazing what true believers claim is progress. 500 supercharger stations, whoop te do. 10 for each state. I think there might be more whooping cranes than charging stations. Elon is a megalomaniac who has suckered thousands with his " vision". Steve Jobs was a visionary who I believe did it without govt largesse. Musk is just a,pure con artist.

Streetwise Professor » Mating Hemophiliacs Seldom Turns Out Well

Forum List

Back