Great Sports Rivalries

Not to be argumentative, but the GREATEST rivalries are in Boxing and Tennis.

Team rivalries are fine and they get their fans riled up, but every team is different, even from year to year.

In boxing and tennis it is pure: one man against another. There is nobody else around to impact the results (except possibly the judges), and, by definition, the best man wins. Usually, it's a situation of two people vying to be recognized as the best in the world.

I'll leave boxing for someone else, but to me the greatest rivalries of my lifetime were:

Evert vs. BJ King

McEnroe vs. Lendl

Graf vs. Navratilova

Sampras vs. Agassi

Djokovich vs. Nadal

I would like to include Serena, but, honestly, there hasn't been anyone who could give her a serious match when she has been healthy.

Michigan vs Ohio State was voted best rivalry in all of sports by ESPN

What else would the Eastern SPorts Network do? I don't have a problem with picking that game as a good rivalry but here out in the Pacific Northwest we don't get much news from around the country or the world. When they stopped listing log rolling and salmon fishing derbys as top sporting events we pretty much tuned ESPN out.

I think that there are several very strong rivalries in all corners and thruout the heartland of the country. Trying to hoist some rivaly as "the best" in the land when in fact it only matters regionally is crapola.

When it comes to promoting big college football rivalries the only thing that makes sense is regional or conference/interconference recognition.

USC/Notre Dame used to be a great rivalry. U of W/Miami was a great rivalry when they were both going head to head for the national title.

Rams and the 49ers really hate each other, it doesn't matter how good or bad either team is, they hate each other.

Last edited:
Has nobody yet mentioned the greatest sports rivalry of all?

yankees/Red Sox

Has nobody yet mentioned the greatest sports rivalry of all?

yankees/Red Sox

As Yankees to another Red Sox player, they really hate each other.

I think Boston has a little more hate on their side.

Forum List

Back