great book on the founders

menewa

Jun 2, 2004
Denton, Texas
I recently finished Gore Vidal's latest release, Inventing a Nation. This work follows the life and times of our first three presidents, Washington, Adams and Jeffersons as well as other big players integral to the founding of America and her enlightened laws such as Hamilton, Franklin and my favorite radical Samuel Adams. This book was released in late 2003 in hardcover edition (might be in paperback now).
Vidal's history of these important figures reads like a novel. The way he ties together events and provides such intetesting aspects of the founders' personalities and lives makes for an enjoyable read.
Somehow, he secures all this into a mere 200-pages. It really leaves the reader longing for more about our nation's inventors. So, in the final chapter, he discusses some of the most detailed and voluminous histories and biographies on the inventors.
Though the great bulk of the book is strictly about the past, Vidal does link some of the troubles faced by the founding fathers to our present state.
Anyone looking for a succinct and concise work on the founders as well as more motivation to study American history, should pick up this work.

I recently read "A Leap in the Dark" by John Ferling, which covers the period of 1750-1800 in American politics. I highly recommend that one.

Gore Vidal... I think I trust him about as much as I trust Noam Chosky.

Gore Vidal:rolleyes: Good book on Founders, :funnyface
No Way. The man can write, but has no sense of history.

Originally posted by menewa
Why don't ya'll trust Vidal to write a history?

European history, possibly. That's where he has spent most of his time. His entry on Lincoln was ****.

Forum List

Back