Graph and Logic Lesson For The Day

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Some political positions are based on indoctrination, and eschew logic, intellect, and experience.
I refer to Left wing positions....
...in this case....gun control

Here is an exercise in logic, based on this visual.

DS-fewer-guns-not-less-crime_700.jpeg

The essay question for today is in two parts:

1. What do the numbers of guns in the hands of citizens, when compared to the number of criminal homicides, prove?

2. Based on your response to #1 above.....what has been proven with respect to Left wing dogma about gun ownership and the second amendment?

Voting 'Present' is not acceptable.

330xkyc.jpg

Less households own guns than ever before. All the OP proves is that those households which do own guns, own a LOT of guns. But there are less people who own them, and that is what matters when it comes to the homicide rate.

When viewing the next graph, remember the Brady Bill was passed in 1993:

2cpoqbs.png

Last edited:
Gun ownership in households has declined from 55% of the population to 30% of the population over the past 40 years.

Now, what were you saying about a "logic lesson"?

Gun ownership in households has declined from 55% of the population to 30% of the population over the past 40 years.

The OP says nothing about households.

It clearly says "New US Firearms"

Clean off your specs.

Now explain why you fear answering the two queries proffered.

Just wonder where they got their stats about the number of households have gun owners.

If someone called me, or I filled out a survey, I wouldn't admit to owning a firearm.

I know. That's my point. You attempted to establish a premise which linked a "quantity" of guns to the homicide rate. You ignored the number of people who own guns, because it doesn't fit your narrative. See my next post.

Dummies use charts and graphs to make a point......but don't give their theory as to why the chart or graph is meaningful.

There are no studies that connect the two data points that you present in any meaningful way. So...the numbers prove absolutely nothing. Got that? They prove nothing.

Try reading up on the issue. Here is a place to begin.

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(15)00072-0/abstract

I know. That's my point. You attempted to establish a premise which linked a "quantity" of guns to the homicide rate. You ignored the number of people who own guns, because it doesn't fit your narrative. See my next post.

No...your attempt was to change the subject....and I caught you.

Seems to be a regular pattern between us, ol' suitcase bomb expert.

OP its not about crime, its not even about guns its about control over others. Gun control freaks are control freaks. This is why no volume of facts and figures sways them. This si why pointing out that criminals will not obey their gun control laws goes in one ear and out the other. Its about control freaks controlling others. The size of vehicle you drive, the food you eat, political correctness, nazi home owners association rules, control.

Dummies use charts and graphs to make a point......but don't give their theory as to why the chart or graph is meaningful.

There are no studies that connect the two data points that you present in any meaningful way. So...the numbers prove absolutely nothing. Got that? They prove nothing.

Speaking of dummies.....
...guess who connects those two points.

"Obama Calls for Tougher Gun Laws After San Bernardino ..."
Obama Calls for Tougher Gun Laws After San Bernardino Shooting

"PRESIDENT OBAMA’S 2015 EXECUTIVE ACTIONS ON GUN CONTROL"
President Obama’s 2015 Executive Actions on Gun Control

1980:

Bob owns 2 guns, Joe owns 2 guns, Bill owns 0 guns, Jennifer owns 0 guns.

Number of guns owned: 4.

Percentage of gun ownership: 50%.

Homicide rate: 6.6 per 100,000

2015:

Bob now owns 6 guns, Joe owns 0 guns, Bill owns 0 guns, Jennifer owns 0 guns.

Number of guns owned: 6 (an increase of 50% since 1980).

Percentage of gun ownership: 25% (a decrease of 25% since 1980).

Homicide rate: 3.6

Now how stupid would you have to be, or just a plain hack, to build a premise that the increase in "gun circulation" is responsible for the drop in the homicide rate, and completely ignore the drop in gun ownership as a factor?

Joe bought more guns, but less people altogether own guns.

Thus concludeth the "logic lesson".

OP its not about crime, its not even about guns its about control over others. Gun control freaks are control freaks. This is why no volume of facts and figures sways them. This si why pointing out that criminals will not obey their gun control laws goes in one ear and out the other. Its about control freaks controlling others. The size of vehicle you drive, the food you eat, political correctness, nazi home owners association rules, control.

Do any gun control freaks own firearms?

1980:

2015:

Now how stupid would you have to be, or just a plain hack, to build a premise that the increase in "gun circulation" is responsible for the drop in the homicide rate, and completely ignore the drop in gun ownership as a factor?

Speaking of dummies.....
...guess who connects those two points.

"Obama Calls for Tougher Gun Laws After San Bernardino ..."
Obama Calls for Tougher Gun Laws After San Bernardino Shooting

"PRESIDENT OBAMA’S 2015 EXECUTIVE ACTIONS ON GUN CONTROL"

President Obama’s 2015 Executive Actions on Gun Control

Off topic.

Please stick to the topic.

1980:

2015:

Q1. What do the numbers of guns in the hands of citizens, when compared to the number of criminal homicides, prove?

A1: They prove the people who own guns own more than they did in the past. However, guns are in the hands of LESS citizens.

Q2: 2. Based on your response to #1 above.....what has been proven with respect to Left wing dogma about gun ownership and the second amendment?

A2: Nothing.

Now a question for you.

1. What do the numbers of LESS citizens owning guns, when compared to the number of criminal homicides, prove?

Some political positions are based on indoctrination, and eschew logic, intellect, and experience.
I refer to Left wing positions....
...in this case....gun control

Here is an exercise in logic, based on this visual.

DS-fewer-guns-not-less-crime_700.jpeg

The essay question for today is in two parts:

1. What do the numbers of guns in the hands of citizens, when compared to the number of criminal homicides, prove?

2. Based on your response to #1 above.....what has been proven with respect to Left wing dogma about gun ownership and the second amendment?

Voting 'Present' is not acceptable.
The answer to 1 is not much. There's a couple of things to note:
1. The y-axis in the two graphs are marked in a different scale. That's a red flag right there for data manipulation.
2. The two graphs seek to prove a correlation between A and B, and yet graph A as a function of time in one graph with B as a function of time in another graph. Again, that's a strong indication of data manipulation. They could have graphed A versus B or graphed A and B parametrically as a function of time.
3. The graphs also choose number of deaths as the variable instead of the murder rate, ignoring the relationship between violent crime and population density. Also a red flag that data has been cherry picked.

I'm thinking later tonight I'll see if I can't pull the data and do a linear regression of A vs B, but just looking at it I'm expecting that result to be just crap.

That said, there' s a fascinating study at Gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. - PubMed - NCBI about gun ownership and firearm related deaths. Worth a read.

Forum List

Back