Graham to introduce bill that would restrict abortions nationwide

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Its good to see the Republicans aren't being hypocritical on the abortion front when arguing its a state's right issue and not Federal. Oh wait:

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Tuesday will make public his plans to introduce a bill in the Senate that would ban abortions nationwide, one that is expected to restrict the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy, according to several antiabortion advocates with knowledge of internal discussions.

Graham will be joined at a noon news conference Tuesday by Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, along with other antiabortion leaders. Representatives for Graham and the Susan B. Anthony group did not immediately respond to questions Tuesday morning.

The name of his bill — which includes the nonmedical phrase “late-term abortions” — drew sharp criticism from abortion rights activists. Used almost exclusively by antiabortion activists, the phrase is generally understood to refer to abortions between or after 21 and 24 weeks of pregnancy.

Its good to see the Republicans aren't being hypocritical on the abortion front when arguing its a state's right issue and not Federal. Oh wait:

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Tuesday will make public his plans to introduce a bill in the Senate that would ban abortions nationwide, one that is expected to restrict the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy, according to several antiabortion advocates with knowledge of internal discussions.

Graham will be joined at a noon news conference Tuesday by Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, along with other antiabortion leaders. Representatives for Graham and the Susan B. Anthony group did not immediately respond to questions Tuesday morning.

The name of his bill — which includes the nonmedical phrase “late-term abortions” — drew sharp criticism from abortion rights activists. Used almost exclusively by antiabortion activists, the phrase is generally understood to refer to abortions between or after 21 and 24 weeks of pregnancy.
Lindsey is a dick, shoring up is base cred only. This goes nowhere.

Its not a ban, its a time limit imposed like many other cvountries especially in Europe. Shouldn't being just like Europe excite you Dimmers?

I don’t understand conservatives and abortion.

Leftists aborting babies are sparing their children from future genital mutilation and hormone therapies. That is if they don’t get mutilated by ineffective and unsafe vaccines.

Does the Congress have the authority to pass legislation that has no basis in the Constitution? The Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, saying just that; it ain't in there, so would such a law have any grounding in law to be enforceable? Our Constitution basically lays out the governmental functions that are federally mandated, with the understanding that if a particular issue isn't specifically stated or obvious in terms of our history and traditions then that issue falls to the states to decide for themselves. Has anyone seen any analysis of the lawfulness of this bill?

Yes, I know this bill probably isn't going anywhere, too many people on the Left don't like it, as well as too many on the Right. That ain't the point, would such a bill withstand the inevitable challenges in Court?

Graham is set to introduce a national ban on abortion today

So much for the claims that states can decide that issue huh?

This is no abortion ban. But I can see how child-killers would get upset regardless.

That bitch will find a way to sabotage whatever advantage Republicans have going into the midterms to avoid the MAGA storm on the horizon. She knows the effect this will have. There is no other reason to talk about this bill that will never make it out of committee. Of course, Dems will also use this to call bullshit on all Republicans who talked about this as a state decision.

The '15 weeks' qualification is a smart way to defuse the issue for the Republicans and so it's smart thinking if true.

Something had to be done and this is the best solution. The extremist religious right will have to swallow it as a partial win for now.

They can still make it 'unqualified' after the election.

NATIONAL BAN idiot

It would impose a 15 week NATION WIDE ban on states who allow abortions after that.

Of course Republicans would NEVER reduce that number if they had the chance...right?

Just like they'd never overturn Roe
how many states had late term abortions peioe to Casey and Roe being overturned?

I didn't either. Thats from the article.
I said it should the Republicans are as full of it as the Democrats in their hypocrisy.
And this will be used in the campaigns when Repubs say its a "state issue."
I agree that it is a state issue. I think anything now on a national level, even if it somehow passed, would always be challenged. So don't get it myself.

Forum List

Back