Governors veto overridden

Government officials allowed to opt of out of performing same sex marriages.

Legal?

North Carolina okays opt-out for officials who oppose same-sex marriage - The Washington Post

When they refuse to do their duty as a civil servant for a same-sex couple they are barred from providing the same services to a different-sex couple for a period of 6 months.

So refuse one same-sex couple and all different-sex couples will have to travel to a different jurisdiction to get a civil marriage license and to have the civil servant perform the civil marriage.

I guess we'll have to see how the public likes having to travel farther to get the same service.

>>>>

Legal?

North Carolina okays opt-out for officials who oppose same-sex marriage - The Washington Post

that's what the supreme court is for. I figure it should do its job. you can't back-door your way out of equal protection.

bigots are amusing.
Nothing equal about forcing subsidies based on personal behavior.

*yawn*

Legal?

that's what the supreme court is for. I figure it should do its job. you can't back-door your way out of equal protection.

bigots are amusing.
Nothing equal about forcing subsidies based on personal behavior.

*yawn*
Another defeated democrat non-rebuttal.

Legal?

Not legal

Officers of the states are subject to the Constitution, its case law, the rule of law, and the decisions of Federal courts.

“No state legislator or executive or judicial officer can war against the Constitution without violating his solemn oath to support it.” (Cooper v. Aaron)

There is no 'opting out' of performing one's official duties as required by the Constitution, save that of resigning one's position allowing someone else to obey the rule of law.

The law will be challenged, and the courts will decide.

That's how we do it. As long as someone is available to perform marriages at the site, I have no problem with it.

Forum List

Back