Governor McDonnel and wife found guilty on multiple counts

McDonnel and his wife should not see jail time. These laws are pretty confusing and all over the place.

If he were in office? He should be removed. Now? He probably should be hit with fines.

Nothing here rises to a sentence of 30 years. That's ridiculous.

What amazes me in stories like this is the fine line between legal lobbying, and illegally accepting gifts for political favors. Either both should be legal, or both should be illegal.

Bingo. The revolving door of politicians and bureaucrats into companies they regulate and favor with corporate welfare is far more egregious than accepting some trinkets and loans.

Like Eric Cantor?

I haven't heard much conservative outcry over his new gig.

What amazes me in stories like this is the fine line between legal lobbying, and illegally accepting gifts for political favors. Either both should be legal, or both should be illegal.

Bingo. The revolving door of politicians and bureaucrats into companies they regulate and favor with corporate welfare is far more egregious than accepting some trinkets and loans.

Like Eric Cantor?

I don't see any specification of political party in my post, bub.

McDonnel and his wife should not see jail time. These laws are pretty confusing and all over the place.

If he were in office? He should be removed. Now? He probably should be hit with fines.

Maybe so. But no more ridiculous than getting 30 years for a vial of crack cocaine, or a life sentence because your petty crime is your third strike.

Like Eric Cantor?

There's one in mine. Care to address it?

• You complain about the revolving door
  • I give you an example
  • Instead of condemning the example, you want to criticize me for mentioning it

Yup - you're a Right-Winger!
4i6Ckte.gif

Like Eric Cantor?

There's one in mine. Care to address it?

• You complain about the revolving door
  • I give you an example
  • Instead of condemning the example, you want to criticize me for mentioning it

Yup - you're a Right-Winger!
4i6Ckte.gif

You're the one trying to make this a party issue, so that makes you the hack.

The real issue isthat we have self-perpetuating cronyist government system. You'd rather have your panties in a GLEEFUL twist over McDonnel's rather cheapskate bribery ($200K), while ignoring the Trillions of money our government plunders.

Sadly, at some point, fines are not much of a deterrent. There are just too many people in positions of power who, when push comes to shove, are willing to take the chance at taking bribes and betraying the public interest if paying fines is the worst that can or will happen to them. Unfortunately, losing their freedom is the kind of warning shot across the bow of all politicians that will get their attention and make them think twice before agreeing to sell their office for profit.

Sadly, at some point, fines are not much of a deterrent. There are just too many people in positions of power who, when push comes to shove, are willing to take the chance at taking bribes and betraying the public interest if paying fines is the worst that can or will happen to them. Unfortunately, losing their freedom is the kind of warning shot across the bow of all politicians' bows that will get their attention and make them think twice before agreeing to sell their office for profit.

Politics pretty much almost requires that you do this stuff.

It's ridiculous. You MUST get donors if you are not independently wealthy.

There were no state laws against what McDonnel did..however there were some Federal Laws.

Either way? When you have a situation where your position requires that you gladhand and smooze, either remove that requirement or amend election financing laws such that politicians don't need to be in fund raiser mode all the time.

Does this dampen his presidential aspirations?

lol

The hypocrite told reporters that his trust was in the lord.

His worst sin was in getting caught. Even though he threw his wife to the wolves, as far as most RWs are concerned, he's still a "good christian" and in good standing with the party.

Mittens has surely taken him off his speed dial but betcha Pat Robertson would still hire him.

If he were Dem, he would be drummed out of the corp.

Repub? Not so bad.

WRONG.. If he were a DEM, just like your drunk DA in Texas , you Zombies would circle the wagons.. It's how you thugs roll.

Sadly, at some point, fines are not much of a deterrent. There are just too many people in positions of power who, when push comes to shove, are willing to take the chance at taking bribes and betraying the public interest if paying fines is the worst that can or will happen to them. Unfortunately, losing their freedom is the kind of warning shot across the bow of all politicians' bows that will get their attention and make them think twice before agreeing to sell their office for profit.

There were no state laws against what McDonnel did..however there were some Federal Laws.

Either way? When you have a situation where your position requires that you gladhand and smooze, either remove that requirement or amend election financing laws such that politicians don't need to be in fund raiser mode all the time.

The gift of a Rolex watch wasn't meant to fund McDonnell's campaign.

I just saw an interview McDonnell did with Pat Roberts, whose Christian University he attended. McDonnell couldn't say enough about his Christian values and those that the country was founded on. Of course this was before he was accused and convicted of all sorts of UnChristian things.
Then when accused he left his wife and blamed it all on her.

The gift of a Rolex watch wasn't meant to fund McDonnell's campaign.

It's a part of the game, man.

Forum List

Back