Government Shutdown Looms: House Rejects Short-Term Budget Bill

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

I hope they threaten a shut down every single time the government attempts to spend even 1 more penny. Until we get the Deficit under control, and deal with the GOA report that found 300 Billion in wasteful, Redundant Federal Spending.

If we just keep passing budgets with our dealing with the GOA report, were knowingly Funding those Wasteful and Redundant Programs year again, when we should be dealing with them before we waste another damn cent on them.

Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

Hell this sounds like an excellent jobs plan!!! Shut the F-ing federal government down. SHUT IT OR CUT IT!!!!!!!

But if the federal government is shut down who will harass non-unionized businesses and enforce economy stifling EPA regulations?

Welcome to Tea Bagger America.......threaten a new Govt shutdown or default every month

I hope they threaten a shut down every single time the government attempts to spend even 1 more penny.

I hope so too. It worked out so well for Newt, I'm sure Americans, having become more engaged in politics, will simply love the multiple threats of gov't shutdowns that the GOTea have offered in lieu of any feasible plan to fix the economy and put people back to work. I mean, it's not like they ran on jobs in 2010....right? :lol::lol::lol: Good luck in 2012.

Welcome to Tea Bagger America.......threaten a new Govt shutdown or default every month

You really are a joke. This has NOTHING to do with the Tea Party.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOMsugKkfk]Obama Vote's Against Raising Debt Ceiling in 2006 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZ39Zet97Q]"O" the Debt Ceiling - YouTube[/ame]

I hope they threaten a shut down every single time the government attempts to spend even 1 more penny.

I hope so too. It worked out so well for Newt, I'm sure Americans, having become more engaged in politics, will simply love the multiple threats of gov't shutdowns that the GOTea have offered in lieu of any feasible plan to fix the economy and put people back to work. I mean, it's not like they ran on jobs in 2010....right? :lol::lol::lol: Good luck in 2012.

Don't look now, Jose but the Republicans are the only ones in Washington putting forth a good faith effort to pass legislation that would improve the unemployment situation. They've got bills sitting on Harry Reid's desk right now collecting dust while people like you complain that they haven't offered any plans.

Hopefully in congress a mans name can be spelled correctly....

I bet Shelia Jackson was always tardy to first grade grammar.

Bug eyed racist bitch...

Don't look now, Jose but the Republicans are the only ones in Washington putting forth a good faith effort to pass legislation that would improve the unemployment situation. They've got bills sitting on Harry Reid's desk right now collecting dust while people like you complain that they haven't offered any plans.

Offering far-right dream legislation is not the answer. Perhaps you and the GOP forgot; but you only control one house of congress. The Dems have the Senate and the WH. That means the GOP, in order to be a successful partner in governing, will have to compromise, not say "take it or leave it".

Offering far-right dream legislation is not the answer. Perhaps you and the GOP forgot; but you only control one house of congress. The Dems have the Senate and the WH. That means the GOP, in order to be a successful partner in governing, will have to compromise, not say "take it or leave it".

Sorry bub, that isn't how it works. THE People are telling the Republicans, NO MORE COMPROMISING with this bunch of idiots. IF the Obama and his comrades in arms wish to retain their jobs, they might want to think about compromising with the REPUBLICANS. But I hope they don't, so we can see them ALL GONE in 2012...say bye bye

It's the only way to get Democrats to even talk about making cuts.

If not for the Tea Party we would still be talking about how much more we are going to spend, instead of fighting over how much to cut.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOMsugKkfk]Obama Vote's Against Raising Debt Ceiling in 2006 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZ39Zet97Q]"O" the Debt Ceiling - YouTube[/ame]

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country
Looks to me that the economics of the situation were pretty simple when those two bloviating gasbags were arguing against raising the debt ceiling. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back