Government Shutdown Looms: House Rejects Short-Term Budget Bill

Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

TruthNeverMatters is going to be very unhappy when she reads this. She claims the GOP votes in lock-step on everything.

Welcome to Tea Bagger America.......threaten a new Govt shutdown or default every month

You really are a joke. This has NOTHING to do with the Tea Party.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOMsugKkfk]Obama Vote's Against Raising Debt Ceiling in 2006 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZ39Zet97Q]"O" the Debt Ceiling - YouTube[/ame]

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country

Yeah yeah, don't PUT any BLAME on your GOVERMENT. ESPECIALLY your hero Obama and his comrades in arms...we know you all got a new scapegoat because your ELECTED masters said so. but it won't matter much longer. Once Obama is gone we can get this country and the ecomony BACK ON TRACK.

Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

yeah I guess that is one way of SPINNING IT..my gawd you're a HACK.
with nearly all Democrats in opposing
So the Democrats don't give a SHIT ABOUT YOU folks, got it.

Last edited:
I hope so too. It worked out so well for Newt, I'm sure Americans, having become more engaged in politics, will simply love the multiple threats of gov't shutdowns that the GOTea have offered in lieu of any feasible plan to fix the economy and put people back to work. I mean, it's not like they ran on jobs in 2010....right? :lol::lol::lol: Good luck in 2012.

Don't look now, Jose but the Republicans are the only ones in Washington putting forth a good faith effort to pass legislation that would improve the unemployment situation. They've got bills sitting on Harry Reid's desk right now collecting dust while people like you complain that they haven't offered any plans.

Offering far-right dream legislation is not the answer. Perhaps you and the GOP forgot; but you only control one house of congress. The Dems have the Senate and the WH. That means the GOP, in order to be a successful partner in governing, will have to compromise, not say "take it or leave it".

Naturally, you've read each of the bills referenced... right?

Don't look now, Jose but the Republicans are the only ones in Washington putting forth a good faith effort to pass legislation that would improve the unemployment situation. They've got bills sitting on Harry Reid's desk right now collecting dust while people like you complain that they haven't offered any plans.

Offering far-right dream legislation is not the answer. Perhaps you and the GOP forgot; but you only control one house of congress. The Dems have the Senate and the WH. That means the GOP, in order to be a successful partner in governing, will have to compromise, not say "take it or leave it".

Sorry bub, that isn't how it works. THE People are telling the Republicans, NO MORE COMPROMISING with this bunch of idiots. IF the Obama and his comrades in arms wish to retain their jobs, they might want to think about compromising with the REPUBLICANS. But I hope they don't, so we can see them ALL GONE in 2012...say bye bye

Uhh no. That's not what the people are saying. Try getting your "news" from someplace other than The Blaze and you just might have a clue. I'd say Dems have been doing all of the compromising. After all, according to Boehner, he got "98% of what he wanted" in the debt ceiling deal.

yeah I guess that is one way of SPINNING IT..my gawd you're a HACK.
with nearly all Democrats in opposing
So the Democrats don't give a SHIT ABOUT YOU folks, got it.

Good god you're a reading comprehensionless twit. Democrats and 48 Republicans are objecting to the cuts to fuel-efficiency loan program. The bill was defeated. Hence the charge that Boehner can't lead. Understand now? Good. Run along now. Time for bed.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tea Bagger America.......threaten a new Govt shutdown or default every month

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country

Is this all the left has left? Childish name calling and avoiding any responsibility, despite having control over Congress for four years--majorities in both the house and senate--two of those years with Obama in the Oval Office.

How many pieces of legislation did the Democrat-controlled Congress pass and Obama sign?

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
Credit CARD Act of 2009
Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009
Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act :lol::lol::lol:
Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010
Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act

Countless pieces of legislation that we are now seeing the results of.

Is that all you have left?

Sorry bub, that isn't how it works. THE People are telling the Republicans, NO MORE COMPROMISING with this bunch of idiots. IF the Obama and his comrades in arms wish to retain their jobs, they might want to think about compromising with the REPUBLICANS. But I hope they don't, so we can see them ALL GONE in 2012...say bye bye

Uhh no. That's not what the people are saying. Try getting your "news" from someplace other than The Blaze and you just might have a clue. I'd say Dems have been doing all of the compromising. After all, according to Boehner, he got "98% of what he wanted" in the debt ceiling deal.

Why did Boehner get "98%" of what he wanted? Is it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that he was the only one with actual legislation? Was it that he was the only one, not the Democrats or the president, that actually had a plan that could be voted on?

Yes, the Democrats compromised so much during the two years that they held majorities in both houses of congress and had their guy controlling the Executive, or have you just forgotten that the Democrats held control of 2 out of the 3 branches of government before the American voters replaced Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in the House. But I'm sure you believe that the Koch Brothers stole those congressional elections, or they didn't mean anything.

Yeah, let's see if the people really are cool with the Teabaggers in the GOP playing political games with disaster relief funds. The games they played with raising the debt limit left them in such good shape in the polls, after all...

:lol:

This also showed (again) how they can be a big embarassment to the GOP leadership. This bill embodied the Eric Cantor no-disaster-funds-without-spending-offsets concept and it got shot right the fuck down.

I see the Republican fantasy land circle jerk bill dies at the hands of the house.

good news.

You really are a joke. This has NOTHING to do with the Tea Party.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOMsugKkfk]Obama Vote's Against Raising Debt Ceiling in 2006 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mZ39Zet97Q]"O" the Debt Ceiling - YouTube[/ame]

Hint: If you keep crying wolf, when the wolf really comes, no one will listen to you. Stop blaming every fucking detail on the TEA Parties. You're making yourself look really stupid.

I hope they threaten a shut down every single time the government attempts to spend even 1 more penny.

I hope so too. It worked out so well for Newt, I'm sure Americans, having become more engaged in politics, will simply love the multiple threats of gov't shutdowns that the GOTea have offered in lieu of any feasible plan to fix the economy and put people back to work. I mean, it's not like they ran on jobs in 2010....right? :lol::lol::lol: Good luck in 2012.

You realize all Democrats voted against the spending bill too, right?

Passing a CR every few months just allows out of control spending and business as usual. The reason that the senate and executive branch are milling about on the budget is that having a budget brings accountability and restraint.

Closing the Smithsonian and Fort Hunt park for a week or so won't hurt much. The measures in place to keep essential government services running means there will be no real "shutdown." Scare tactics such as "seniors won't be paid their monthly checks, etc" are for the uninformed. The main constitutional requirement for congress is to pass the budget. I've heard two senators in the past few days, one dem and one repub, say that they cannot believe how the senate justs sits around and does nothing. It is time to pass the budget and take care of the other business of the country.

Forum List

Back