Government Shutdown Looms: House Rejects Short-Term Budget Bill

Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

yeah I guess that is one way of SPINNING IT..my gawd you're a HACK.
with nearly all Democrats in opposing
So the Democrats don't give a SHIT ABOUT YOU folks, got it.

Good god you're a reading comprehensionless twit. Democrats and 48 Republicans are objecting to the cuts to fuel-efficiency loan program. The bill was defeated. Hence the charge that Boehner can't lead. Understand now? Good. Run along now. Time for bed.

Oh I can READ just fine..and your spin is still JUST THAT...SPIN

Looks like Boehner is having a little trouble leading. Some GOP reps aren't too keen on paying for disaster relief funds through cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

Tieing emergency funding to tax cuts is a shortsighted and anti-American thing to do.

A tip of my hat to the Republicans and Democrats who voted against that cynical selfish and idiotic bill.

The GOP ought to be ashamed of itself, but the GOP is long past the time when it was capable of being shamed for doing shameful things.

WASHINGTON -- The House on Wednesday failed to pass a continuing resolution to keep the federal government funded past next week, a major defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was banking on having the votes to pass a package that tied emergency disaster aid to spending cuts.

The bill went down in a vote of 195 to 230. Forty-eight Republicans sided with nearly all Democrats in opposing the resolution aimed at keeping the government funded past Sept. 30, when current funding runs out, and through Nov. 18.

Two factions of Republicans had major problems with the bill as they headed into the vote: Conservative lawmakers wanted more spending cuts, and GOP lawmakers affected by recent disasters were uneasy with the bill's provision that tied $1.5 billion in emergency disaster aid to cuts to a fuel-efficiency loan program.

Tieing emergency funding to tax cuts is a shortsighted and anti-American thing to do.

A tip of my hat to the Republicans and Democrats who voted against that cynical selfish and idiotic bill.

The GOP ought to be ashamed of itself, but the GOP is long past the time when it was capable of being shamed for doing shameful things.

Tax cuts? The Democrats opposed it because it cut out funding for A LOAN PROGRAM.

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country

Hint: If you keep crying wolf, when the wolf really comes, no one will listen to you. Stop blaming every fucking detail on the TEA Parties. You're making yourself look really stupid.

Far from it...

Why is it that every time we give Republicans control in Congress all we get are Government shutdowns or threats of Government shutdowns? Didn't they learn from Gingrich?

Congress is supposed to accomplish things through compromise to meet at a middle ground. All Republicans seem to have is "Do things my way or I will shut down Government"

It has everything to do with the Tea Baggers......they have created a situation where they prefer to see America in the toilet than do anything to protect our economy. Their simplistic economics are destroying the country

Hint: If you keep crying wolf, when the wolf really comes, no one will listen to you. Stop blaming every fucking detail on the TEA Parties. You're making yourself look really stupid.

Far from it...

Why is it that every time we give Republicans control in Congress all we get are Government shutdowns or threats of Government shutdowns? Didn't they learn from Gingrich?

Congress is supposed to accomplish things through compromise to meet at a middle ground. All Republicans seem to have is "Do things my way or I will shut down Government"

You realize all Democrats voted for the shut down, right?

Offering far-right dream legislation is not the answer. Perhaps you and the GOP forgot; but you only control one house of congress. The Dems have the Senate and the WH. That means the GOP, in order to be a successful partner in governing, will have to compromise, not say "take it or leave it".

Sorry bub, that isn't how it works. THE People are telling the Republicans, NO MORE COMPROMISING with this bunch of idiots. IF the Obama and his comrades in arms wish to retain their jobs, they might want to think about compromising with the REPUBLICANS. But I hope they don't, so we can see them ALL GONE in 2012...say bye bye

Uhh no. That's not what the people are saying. Try getting your "news" from someplace other than The Blaze and you just might have a clue. I'd say Dems have been doing all of the compromising. After all, according to Boehner, he got "98% of what he wanted" in the debt ceiling deal.

You are absolutely full of shit.

Before the first negotiation commenced democrats were already caught on conference call to name any cut extreme.

BUT YOU ARE A GOOD APOLOGIST.

Shut the whole govt down for 1 month, that would balance the buget :lol:

I'm not really serious but I wouldn't be upset if that happened, I don't need the govt for anything other than national defense at this point in my life.

Sorry bub, that isn't how it works. THE People are telling the Republicans, NO MORE COMPROMISING with this bunch of idiots. IF the Obama and his comrades in arms wish to retain their jobs, they might want to think about compromising with the REPUBLICANS. But I hope they don't, so we can see them ALL GONE in 2012...say bye bye

Uhh no. That's not what the people are saying. Try getting your "news" from someplace other than The Blaze and you just might have a clue. I'd say Dems have been doing all of the compromising. After all, according to Boehner, he got "98% of what he wanted" in the debt ceiling deal.

Why did Boehner get "98%" of what he wanted? Is it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that he was the only one with actual legislation? Was it that he was the only one, not the Democrats or the president, that actually had a plan that could be voted on?

Yes, the Democrats compromised so much during the two years that they held majorities in both houses of congress and had their guy controlling the Executive, or have you just forgotten that the Democrats held control of 2 out of the 3 branches of government before the American voters replaced Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in the House. But I'm sure you believe that the Koch Brothers stole those congressional elections, or they didn't mean anything.

You seem to forget that almost every single piece of legislation passed in the Senate needed 60 votes.

That's never really happened before.

Far from it...

The Tea Bagging House needs to stop the bullshit of creating poison pill legislation with threats of a government shutdown if they don't get their way

The poison pill of slash spending to pay for disaster relief was one of the most irresponsible in history

Last edited:
Far from it...

The Tea Bagging House needs to stop the bullshit of creating poison pill legislation with threats of a government shutdown if they don't get their way

The poison pill of slash spending to pay for disaster relief was one of the most irresponsible in history

The current disaster relief needs are all in states that went for Obama - and two of the most liberal states in the union.

of course Republicans want to hold up the relief!:eusa_angel::lol:

The current disaster relief needs are all in states that went for Obama - and two of the most liberal states in the union.

You realize all Democrats voted against the bill, right? If Democrats had supported it, it would have passed.
But dont let facts get in the way. You never have before.

You realize all Democrats voted against the bill, right? If Democrats had supported it, it would have passed.

you should tell that to my Democratic rep, who voted for the bill. But don't let that fact get in the way of your rant.

But most folks voted against it because it's a transparent attempt by Republicans to shove other cuts down throats.

Last edited:
Far from it...

I'll take the red pill please

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6qG4yn-Ps]Matrix - The pill - YouTube[/ame]

you should tell that to my Democratic rep, who voted for the bill. But don't let that fact get in the way of your rant.

But most folks voted against it because it's a transparent attempt by Republicans to shove other cuts down throats.

I'm not ranting, jerk off. The bill didnt pass because Democrats voted against it. So dont blame the GOP.

This is true......but it doesn't fit into the talking points mantra.

I'm not ranting, jerk off. The bill didnt pass because Democrats voted against it. So dont blame the GOP.

The bill didn't pass because it held flood victims ransom to additional GOP spending cuts. One of the most callous pieces of legislation in recent memory. Even rational republicans (yes there are a few left) wanted no part of that turkey

The bill didn't pass because it held flood victims ransom to additional GOP spending cuts. One of the most callous pieces of legislation in recent memory. Even rational republicans (yes there are a few left) wanted no part of that turkey

And we wonder what happened to fiscal restraint. It's all "for the children."

And we wonder what happened to fiscal restraint. It's all "for the children."

Damn, why can't more Republicans talk like you? Please write to your hero Rick Perry and tell him to say what you just said here. It might clash a little with his complaining about not getting FEMA funds for his state's wildfires, but hey...

I hope they threaten a shut down every single time the government attempts to spend even 1 more penny.

I hope so too. It worked out so well for Newt, I'm sure Americans, having become more engaged in politics, will simply love the multiple threats of gov't shutdowns that the GOTea have offered in lieu of any feasible plan to fix the economy and put people back to work. I mean, it's not like they ran on jobs in 2010....right? :lol::lol::lol: Good luck in 2012.

You realize all Democrats voted against the spending bill too, right?

As they should have. That's not my point. This looming gov't shutdown is the result of the GOP trying to cut funding to an important, job-creating program in order to pay for disaster relief. GOP leaders letting the gov't shutdown over disaster relief does not look good. It shows a lack of compassion. And the fact that they couldn't even get 48 of their own to support it shows that Boehner and Cantor are terrible leaders.

Forum List

Back