Government pays $10 million for $50 light bulb

I want you to imagine an automobile tire that lasts 50 years and costs 50 times as much as a normal tire.

What is wrong with this picture?

First, the average automobile is not going to be around for 50 years.

Second, the average person is not going to make a huge upfront expenditure. Sure, it would save them money over a fifteen year period, but no one operates that way. They don't have that kind of coin to drop in one chunk. But they do have a dollar here and there to spend when they need to.

Perhaps this $50 light bulb would be a big hit with the government for use in its buildings. Uncle Sam can throw a lot of money around and doesn't care if the bulb will outlast the building.

I will probably be buying the home I will spend my retirement, and the rest of my life this summer. As the existing bulbs burn out, they will be replaced with LEDs. The idea of never having to change that bulb again is very attractive, as are the energy savings.

And as the technology progresses, the bulbs will get better and cheaper. And you poor rednecks are going to look so backwards hoarding your early 20th century tech.
So YOU choose to buy them as any consumer. Bully for YOU.

WHY is the government mandating it is more the question.
who said the government is mandating LED's? the mandated CFL to help lower energy demand. the article talks about subsidizing them to entire people to make the change.

nice fail

The government held a contest to build an affordable green light bulb. I know some people who make pretty good money, but I don't know anyone who thinks $50 for a light bulb is affordable.

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.
The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag - The Washington Post

The Biggest Joke of this whole thing is that they are trying to pass these new Bulbs off as "Green".

I am sorry, Sure they use less Energy, But when you dispose of them they are a Bio Hazard, and the manufacturing Process for them is much Dirtier than Traditional Bulbs.

Not to mention the Fuckers cost 10 times as much and DO NOT last anywhere near as long as the Package Claims. Period.

When we moved into our Current Home we went with New Bulbs through Out, and with in 2 years all of them had been replaced, when some of the Packages claimed "10 Years of Normal Use"

I guess to them 10 years of Normal use is turning it on once a Month.

Last edited:
Why would anyone pay $50 when they could buy a GE General Purpose/ceiling Fan White 2.5-watt LED bulb for $9. :wtf: Why did the government waste $10 million to make an affordable bulb that would cost consumers 5.5 times more. :wtf:

It's the government, why wouldn't they waste money?

1000 Bucks says a little research will uncover Massive Donations to Obama from the Companies that make these "Green Bulbs" and more than a couple Close personal Friends of his that "just happen to be in the Business"

I will probably be buying the home I will spend my retirement, and the rest of my life this summer. As the existing bulbs burn out, they will be replaced with LEDs. The idea of never having to change that bulb again is very attractive, as are the energy savings.

And as the technology progresses, the bulbs will get better and cheaper. And you poor rednecks are going to look so backwards hoarding your early 20th century tech.

who said the government is mandating LED's? the mandated CFL to help lower energy demand. the article talks about subsidizing them to entire people to make the change.

nice fail

so we are down to subsidizing light bulbs now?

The Horse and buggy didn't go away because of a Government mandate.

The automobile manufactured by the free market/inventors made it happen by natural course.

NO Government involvement.

Learn it, Live it, KNOW it.

icon14.gif

Repeated...and NO the gubmint did NOT subsidize the early auto industry.

American ingenuity, know-how made a new market...on it's own.

nice fail

The theoretical $22 price of the bulb that was supposed to win the contest included a $10 rebate from utilities.

nice fail

The theoretical $22 price of the bulb that was supposed to win the contest included a $10 rebate from utilities.

What's the purpose of the device if it cannot hold it's own without subsidies?

It's the government, it doesn't have to make sense.

If it made sense they wouldn't have given Phillips the money for something that they make in China for half the price.

The government held a contest to build an affordable green light bulb. I know some people who make pretty good money, but I don't know anyone who thinks $50 for a light bulb is affordable.

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.
The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag - The Washington Post
Remember, folks, this is the same government the left insists can efficiently manage your health care and lower costs.

It's the government, it doesn't have to make sense.

If it made sense they wouldn't have given Phillips the money for something that they make in China for half the price.

They just had to piss away taxpayer money because they hold the keys to the treasury.

Did anyone tell Congress and the President that just because they hold office isn't license to spend away the future generations of the country into slavery?

nice fail
No FAIL of it. They have no business pissing away money like this.

Forum List

Back