Government pays $10 million for $50 light bulb

LED light bulbs are rated to last 25,000 - 50,000 hours compared to 1,000 - 2,000 for a typical incandescent. factoring in labor to change the bulb 25 times over the lifespan as well as the decrease in the amount of energy used. this is a no-brainer. if it takes a guy 2 minutes to get the ladder, climb up and change a bulb at $20 an hour (just as an easy round number, which btw is $40k annually), the labor comes out to roughly $0.66 each change. for 25 changes that $16.67 in labor. lets say that bulbs cost $3 each. thats another $75 in materials. so total, its now cost $91.67 to use an incandescent over an LED. (this all without calculating in the energy consumption factor)

a CFL is 6,000 - 15,000 hours which is roughly 1/4 - 1/3rd the life of an LED. same example labor is the same, $0.66 but now you need to change it 4 times. CFLs cost about $6 which is $24 in material and another $16 in labor or about $40. now youre getting into a closer range, but considering that LED still uses a fraction of the amount of power, over the lifespan of that LED bulb, you more than make your money back.

its simple math.

LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Energy-Efficient Lighting: LED & CFL bulb information, including where to buy | Eartheasy.com

How Long Did You Say That Bulb Would Last? - NYTimes.com

LED bulbs also put off little to no heat, meaning that your electricity bill due to cooling needs will be reduced as well.

And then there is that other thing that is annoying.... the quality and color of the light is different.
same thing they said about CFL's originally which turned out to be unnoticeable.

Then you don't know light. It is a huge difference in light. It is a blue harsh light and not appealing at all.

Lets see...i have 8 light bulbs in the living room alone..... I wont be changing them our for $50 bulbs anytime soon.
LED light bulbs are rated to last 25,000 - 50,000 hours compared to 1,000 - 2,000 for a typical incandescent. factoring in labor to change the bulb 25 times over the lifespan as well as the decrease in the amount of energy used. this is a no-brainer. if it takes a guy 2 minutes to get the ladder, climb up and change a bulb at $20 an hour (just as an easy round number, which btw is $40k annually), the labor comes out to roughly $0.66 each change. for 25 changes that $16.67 in labor. lets say that bulbs cost $3 each. thats another $75 in materials. so total, its now cost $91.67 to use an incandescent over an LED. (this all without calculating in the energy consumption factor)

I want you to imagine an automobile tire that lasts 50 years and costs 50 times as much as a normal tire.

What is wrong with this picture?

First, the average automobile is not going to be around for 50 years.

Second, the average person is not going to make a huge upfront expenditure. Sure, it would save them money over a fifteen year period, but no one operates that way. They don't have that kind of coin to drop in one chunk. But they do have a dollar here and there to spend when they need to.

Perhaps this $50 light bulb would be a big hit with the government for use in its buildings. Uncle Sam can throw a lot of money around and doesn't care if the bulb will outlast the building.
50,000 hours is 5.7 years (25,000 hours is 2.85 years) is your left the bulb on constantly. if you used them 12 hours a day thats 11.4 years (5.7 years). at 6 hours a day (more realistic) 22.8 years (11.4). think about if you never had to change a light bulb in your house for 20 years or even 10 and had your electricity bill drop by 20%. would it be worth it then?

And then there is that other thing that is annoying.... the quality and color of the light is different.
same thing they said about CFL's originally which turned out to be unnoticeable.

Then you don't know light. It is a huge difference in light. It is a blue harsh light and not appealing at all.
then your using the wrong color temperature.

ColorTemperature.jpg

all cfls

Color and Mood : ENERGY STAR

Lets see...i have 8 light bulbs in the living room alone..... I wont be changing them our for $50 bulbs anytime soon.

I want you to imagine an automobile tire that lasts 50 years and costs 50 times as much as a normal tire.

Second, the average person is not going to make a huge upfront expenditure. Sure, it would save them money over a fifteen year period, but no one operates that way. They don't have that kind of coin to drop in one chunk. But they do have a dollar here and there to spend when they need to.

Perhaps this $50 light bulb would be a big hit with the government for use in its buildings. Uncle Sam can throw a lot of money around and doesn't care if the bulb will outlast the building.

funny you mention that. I have told this story before but will cut it down and simply say, in the gov. bldg where in I work, we have the very large $30 a pop large CFL's.

There are approx 24 of them in the main stairwells. they burn out at a rate of once every 8 -12 montsh,....they are not turned off an on, they are on all the time. the voltage is correct, BUT to get a uber green rating, they put them in.

After 3 years and a bona fide laborious meeting after meeting and study taking up gobs of time, the fac. dir. finally had to acknowledge it and we are back on Incans.

Oh and we also had to replace the waterless urinals, the canisters we used for the no water BS? They didn't cut it, so how much to open up walls , install plumbing after the fact? Tons of cash, 450K ...... and the bldg is less than 5 years old, they could have done that at a 10th of the cost when the place was going up, but we would not have gotten the star award etc etc ........:lol:....your tax dollars at work.

50,000 hours is 5.7 years (25,000 hours is 2.85 years) is your left the bulb on constantly. if you used them 12 hours a day thats 11.4 years (5.7 years). at 6 hours a day (more realistic) 22.8 years (11.4). think about if you never had to change a light bulb in your house for 20 years or even 10 and had your electricity bill drop by 20%. would it be worth it then?

Who lives in the same house for 20 years, dipstick? Most people move every 4-5 years.

Who lives in the same house for 20 years, dipstick? Most people move every 4-5 years.
Unless they own the land outright...or choose to move and use the property as rental income...but then they'd be called by the left as "evil land barons...":eusa_whistle:

a CFL is 6,000 - 15,000 hours which is roughly 1/4 - 1/3rd the life of an LED. same example labor is the same, $0.66 but now you need to change it 4 times. CFLs cost about $6 which is $24 in material and another $16 in labor or about $40. now youre getting into a closer range, but considering that LED still uses a fraction of the amount of power, over the lifespan of that LED bulb, you more than make your money back.

its simple math.

LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Energy-Efficient Lighting: LED & CFL bulb information, including where to buy | Eartheasy.com

How Long Did You Say That Bulb Would Last? - NYTimes.com

LED bulbs also put off little to no heat, meaning that your electricity bill due to cooling needs will be reduced as well.

Not if you get migraines.

I've gone out and puchased a plethora of incadescents that will last me at least the next 10 years.

Good. It is always laughable to see fruitcakes pay more for less.:badgrin:
I got them at a hugely reduced price...but then most sane Americans go for bargans for quality goods...unlike Statist assholes like you that love to foist gubmint induced hysteria on the rest of us.

*Jackass*

I'm set for a long time...is the Government gonna come after me when they outlaw incadecents?:eusa_whistle:

I will probably be buying the home I will spend my retirement, and the rest of my life this summer. As the existing bulbs burn out, they will be replaced with LEDs. The idea of never having to change that bulb again is very attractive, as are the energy savings.

And as the technology progresses, the bulbs will get better and cheaper. And you poor rednecks are going to look so backwards hoarding your early 20th century tech.

I will probably be buying the home I will spend my retirement, and the rest of my life this summer. As the existing bulbs burn out, they will be replaced with LEDs. The idea of never having to change that bulb again is very attractive, as are the energy savings.

And as the technology progresses, the bulbs will get better and cheaper. And you poor rednecks are going to look so backwards hoarding your early 20th century tech.
So YOU choose to buy them as any consumer. Bully for YOU.

WHY is the government mandating it is more the question.

I've gone out and puchased a plethora of incadescents that will last me at least the next 10 years.

Good. It is always laughable to see fruitcakes pay more for less.:badgrin:

The way i see it is i pay for what i like and want. Not what i am told to like and want.

The Horse and buggy didn't go away because of a Government mandate.

The automobile manufactured by the free market/inventors made it happen by natural course.

NO Government involvement.

Learn it, Live it, KNOW it.

icon14.gif

Forum List

Back