Government Overthrow

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by screenmagic13, Aug 21, 2012.

1. screenmagic13

screenmagic13 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The only violent overthrow of a government in US History was the 1898 Race Riot in Wilmington, NC. So why has this History been buried to the point where almost no one has heard of it?

I've been part of a group of young filmmakers that has worked tirelessly to put this event on film over the last 4 years. We face constant "warnings" and resistance from revisionist historians, and other self-proclaimed "Heritage Groups" (you can probably guess some of them). Why is this? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Also, feel free to take a look at our efforts so far (called "The Red Cape" on Kickstarter), feedback is warmly appreciated as we try gain support for this important project.

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    When blacks get policies and officials to go their way under threat of rioting, what do you call that?

3. screenmagic13

screenmagic13 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree that wouldn't be the most civil way to handle things - its sort of like threatening to go on strike when work conditions are bad, but I guess sometimes its the only option. That's not what happened in 1898, however. Wilmington was very progressive in giving blacks civil liberty, and the riot was a white revolt against progress that was being made by black citizens.

My question isn't "why did the riot happen", but rather, "Why has it been conspicuously left out of History books?"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    it certainly has not been left out of all history books or you would not know about it. Was it really a major event in US history?

Methinks you have an agenda.

5. NeoTemplar

NeoTemplar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    because it doesn't fit the political agenda if you actually do some thorough research you'll find many things on both sides that have been purposely left out of the history books such as the fact that black american slavery was created by a black man who wanted to own his black slaves and the fact that prior to that people of every race were made slaves.

6. screenmagic13

screenmagic13 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    History books are not firsthand accounts - they are compiled by "interpreters" of historical documents. This was indeed a major civil rights event, and the only coup de ‘etat in our history. Only in 2006 was an official study and report released about the event (it can be accessed online). Otherwise, the history has been suppressed.

My only "agenda" is to preserve information about our the history of our race relations, even when its uncomfortable. You can't find progress by pretending the past didn't happen.

7. screenmagic13

screenmagic13 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You may be onto something. The victors of battle write the history, right?

8. NeoTemplar

NeoTemplar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yes history is written by the victors who are obviously not going to portray themselves as the bad guys, its bad for business unfortunately the battle is not always easily seen or even believed, the majority of people around the world don't care about such things so the victor can easily pull the proverbial wool over our eyes.

9. screenmagic13

screenmagic13 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So unfortunate. To bury our history, even if embarrassing, stunts our progress.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Wilmington is the government?

You really should get out more.