Got this update on my phone this morning...

"Dow is set to plunge nearly 500 points as China announces new tariffs today".

Thank you President Trump...glad I am still more than a decade away from retirement, though that may not be enough time to undo the damage this moron will do.

I sold nearly everything I had end of January when Agent Orange started yammering about this stupidity.

Would have lost at least ten grand if I hadn't.

Sad :(

If you sold everything at the end of January 2018, then you must have done quite well based on market performance during Trump's first year.

Just sayin'.

Yes, what I called my "Trump Stocks" (energy, construction, etc) before his tax cuts and deregulation were good investments. That is no longer the case.

And here we go again. Short term moves in the stock market as political ammo.

A 3,000 point dump since the end of January is hardly what can be defined as "short term".

Looks more like a trend with a madman in the Oval.
Yes, three months is short term, in investing. So is six. And twelve.

I can't help that you don't know that.

Sorry - not if one is less than 6 years away from retirement.

And here we go again. Short term moves in the stock market as political ammo.

A 3,000 point dump since the end of January is hardly what can be defined as "short term".

Looks more like a trend with a madman in the Oval.
Yes, three months is short term, in investing. So is six. And twelve.

I can't help that you don't know that.

Sorry - not if one is less than 6 years away from retirement.
That depends on the person, their needs, their risk tolerance and their allocations.

And if they're heavy in the market six years from retirement, it's their own fault.

Basic stuff.

So, what sort of impact has talks of a trade war had on the market?
Uncertainty is negative in the short term, especially when the market is as highly valued as it is. Ultimately the market is driven by the same old thing: Earnings.

Of course, anyone paying attention (and who is honest) realizes that this is most likely Trump's and China's very public version of economic negotiation. So, obviously, there's a long way to go and no one knows what will happen.

The consolidation has held since late November. Anyone who wants to point at one or two reasons, especially political reasons, for short term swings is ignorant of how markets work.

You're a moving target, how convenient.
You asked, I answered.

I know how you'd like to keep this nice and simple, but it isn't. This is the way it actually works.

Markets are a moving target.

Regardless, I'd never try to convince someone like you of anything.

You agreed with the statement that it was only a coincidence that the market dropped around the same time as this trade war builds and then when asked further about it you change your story.

Nobody said it was simple or other factors don't come into play, you're letting your own version of bias get in the way again.
Then blame Trump for everything bad, and give Obama credit for everything good.

When did I do that? Oh yeah, I didn't. But to you assigning some amount of blame to Trump for starting this stupid trade war is beyond the pale, right? Even though you finally did just that yourself.

Your right wing counterparts/mirror images will do the exact opposite, of course.

There you go Mac, you and that horseshoe you carry around your neck, you are completely unable to have a conversation without your tired old 'bothsiderism' argument. Why did you initially leave Trump out of the equation about the recent slide in the stock market?

Since this is my profession, I can't just play politics. I have to take it seriously.

Well, it appears your own biased political views are getting in the way.

"Dow is set to plunge nearly 500 points as China announces new tariffs today".

Thank you President Trump...glad I am still more than a decade away from retirement, though that may not be enough time to undo the damage this moron will do.

I sold nearly everything I had end of January when Agent Orange started yammering about this stupidity.

Would have lost at least ten grand if I hadn't.

Sad :(

If you sold everything at the end of January 2018, then you must have done quite well based on market performance during Trump's first year.

Just sayin'.

Yes, what I called my "Trump Stocks" (energy, construction, etc) before his tax cuts and deregulation were good investments. That is no longer the case.

That depends upon your time horizon. We're in a trading range and the big money loves volatility.

Uncertainty is negative in the short term, especially when the market is as highly valued as it is. Ultimately the market is driven by the same old thing: Earnings.

Of course, anyone paying attention (and who is honest) realizes that this is most likely Trump's and China's very public version of economic negotiation. So, obviously, there's a long way to go and no one knows what will happen.

The consolidation has held since late November. Anyone who wants to point at one or two reasons, especially political reasons, for short term swings is ignorant of how markets work.

You asked, I answered.

I know how you'd like to keep this nice and simple, but it isn't. This is the way it actually works.

You agreed with the statement that it was only a coincidence that the market dropped around the same time as this trade war builds and then when asked further about it you change your story.

Nobody said it was simple or other factors don't come into play, you're letting your own version of bias get in the way again.

When did I do that? Oh yeah, I didn't. But to you assigning some amount of blame to Trump for starting this stupid trade war is beyond the pale, right? Even though you finally did just that yourself.

Your right wing counterparts/mirror images will do the exact opposite, of course.

There you go Mac, you and that horseshoe you carry around your neck, you are completely unable to have a conversation without your tired old 'bothsiderism' argument. Why did you initially leave Trump out of the equation about the recent slide in the stock market?

Since this is my profession, I can't just play politics. I have to take it seriously.

Just being honest and pointing out facts.

And I don't let my left-leaning politics get in the way of my profession.

If you don't like that, too bad.

You asked, I answered.

My only point is that Trump has had an impact on the market recently with his trade war bullshit. If said trade war continues then I think the market will suffer some more. Tell me Mac, what did my left-leaning politics get wrong?

You asked, I answered.

My only point is that Trump has had an impact on the market recently with his trade war bullshit. If said trade war continues then I think the market will suffer some more. Tell me Mac, what did my left-leaning politics get wrong?
You originally commented on my post, which was a comment on the OP. You may want to read that.

You started this tedious conversation, I didn't ask for your opinion or your input.

I do know your politics, which is why I don't take you seriously.

Again: If you don't like that, too bad.

You originally commented on my post, which was a comment on the OP. You may want to read that.

You started this tedious conversation, I didn't ask for your opinion or your input.

So, basically you can't find any fault with what I posted, you sure took a detour stating the obvious.

So, basically you can't find any fault with what I posted, you sure took a detour stating the obvious.
Well, I don't know, because I'm not paying much attention.

I think you should run with whatever you'd like and I'll be happy to sign off on it.

I think you should run with whatever you'd like and I'll be happy to sign off on it.

Mac, then just don't reply to my posts to begin with rather than later on when you can't answer a simple question. I'm just happy I could help you state that the Trump trade war has had an ill effect on the stock market, That's all I was saying.

Mac, then just don't reply to my posts to begin with rather than later on when you can't answer a simple question. I'm just happy I could help you state that the Trump trade war has had an ill effect on the stock market, That's all I was saying.
Sounds good, thanks.

Chuckling....

Sometimes I always seem to exit the market the day after a notable drop....but always before the bigger ones that inevitably follow. So I leave a little money on the table. A little. What we're seeing is entirely normal. Fake news is screaming the country will go liberal in November so the smart money is bailing out. The only confidence factor that needs be considered is the Great Gullibility Factor. The one that was so certain, because Fake News Media all agreed that Hillary was a shoo-in.

So, for my part, I got entirely out of the market yesterday and do not see myself getting back in until we reach Obamaesque Dow figures around 9,500.

I'd rather a steady incline like under Obama did, than erratic.
Sorry, Trump isn't a crook like Obama.
He's not gonna bribe the fed chairman into lowering interest rates and he's not gonna use Quantitative Easing to artificially prop up the markets.
Bribe the fed chair into lowering interest rates?

What planet are you from anyway?
Reality
Yeah..... Nope.

Forum List

Back