Got a Big Promotion at Work

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Upon my return from Europe where I was working on a project for my company, I got promoted into a management position this past Monday. I got a ten percent salary increase, plus I'm now part of a much better bonus structure.

I'm not saying this to brag; I'm pointing out that hard work pays off. When I first started working full time when I was 18 I was making a measly $14,000 a year working for a department store six days a week. My girlfriend (who ultimately became my first wife) and I were barely scraping buy in a shitty apartment in Boston. I hated that fucking job, but I showed up and worked hard everyday. I eventually got promoted into better positions with that company, ultimately changed jobs a couple of times going to other companies, but each time I always got a better deal and did my best work. I saved the bitching and complaining for after work. Eventually, I settled long term with the company I've been with now for several years and now at 36 years old I'm making a six figure salary.

I've seen a lot of entitled attitudes and bellyaching over the years from other people and coworkers complaining about how they deserve this and they should get that and more times than not those people are the ones who do the least and complain the most, but wonder why they never get ahead, and then demand others prop them up. They blame the company for being greedy or the politicians for being heartless, but never view themselves as the problem. I see that attitude more and more out in the world and I find it really disturbing.

Yes, there are shitty employers out there. There are corporations that will take advantage of their employees, but it's up to you to blaze your own path. You're not going to accomplish anything waiting around for someone else to fix your problems. The old adage still applies. Hard work and persistence will pay off.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Nuttin wrong with bitching if the job gets done. The safety Dept has become a big enabler of the lazy in my line of work. Go home children if you think its not safe, meanwhile the adults keep rollin

Upon my return from Europe where I was working on a project for my company, I got promoted into a management position this past Monday. I got a ten percent salary increase, plus I'm now part of a much better bonus structure.

I'm not saying this to brag; I'm pointing out that hard work pays off. When I first started working full time when I was 18 I was making a measly $14,000 a year working for a department store six days a week. My girlfriend (who ultimately became my first wife) and I were barely scraping buy in a shitty apartment in Boston. I hated that fucking job, but I showed up and worked hard everyday. I eventually got promoted into better positions with that company, ultimately changed jobs a couple of times going to other companies, but each time I always got a better deal and did my best work. I saved the bitching and complaining for after work. Eventually, I settled long term with the company I've been with now for several years and now at 36 years old I'm making a six figure salary.

I've seen a lot of entitled attitudes and bellyaching over the years from other people and coworkers complaining about how they deserve this and they should get that and more times than not those people are the ones who do the least and complain the most, but wonder why they never get ahead, and then demand others prop them up. They blame the company for being greedy or the politicians for being heartless, but never view themselves as the problem. I see that attitude more and more out in the world and I find it really disturbing.

Yes, there are shitty employers out there. There are corporations that will take advantage of their employees, but it's up to you to blaze your own path. You're not going to accomplish anything waiting around for someone else to fix your problems. The old adage still applies. Hard work and persistence will pay off.
Congrats!

I’ve been given a few unexpected pay increases since Trump was elected. :)

That is the best news I've heard in a long time.

That is the best news I've heard in a long time.

Yeah DTMB better too hedge your bet and work hard than wait for the "Free Shit" Agenda to materialize. I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed FS'er come 2020 and beyond. great post may good luck and success propel you.

Yes, there are shitty employers out there.

And shitty employees....

Good job, Congratulations...keep up the hard work....

Forum List

Back