GOP wants to screw US over Social Security

Why do boomers need “a warning”? They should have seen this coming. After all, they knew this was a problem for decades and did nothing.

Why do we have to pay for Boomer’s failures?
I got the year wrong on my previous post. It was 1983.

Social Security Amendments Act of 1983. Look it up.

The boomers did foot the bill for their own retirement. When I entered the workforce the retirement age was 65. A few years later they bumped it to 67 and increased the FICA tax rates.

The actuaries knew what was coming, and they made the changes to fund the boomers. But the Congress over the years added new benefits and beneficiaries that were not part of SS in 1983, and the trust funds that should have been solvent until 2060 will be insolvent around 2030.

I got the year wrong on my previous post. It was 1983.

Social Security Amendments Act of 1983. Look it up.

The boomers did foot the bill for their own retirement. When I entered the workforce the retirement age was 65. A few years later they bumped it to 67 and increased the FICA tax rates.

The actuaries knew what was coming, and they made the changes to fund the boomers. But the Congress over the years added new benefits and beneficiaries that were not part of SS in 1983, and the trust funds that should have been solvent until 2060 will be insolvent around 2030.
So boomers added new benefits and didn’t want to pay for them.

Makes sense.

So boomers added new benefits and didn’t want to pay for them.

Makes sense.
The boomers were the bulk of the workforce in 1983- they raised the taxes and pushed the retirement age back 2 years for boomers.

Those tax increases ran hundreds of millions in surpluses every year, and built the trust fund to $4 Trillion by 2011.

It was democrats who passed new benefits without paying for them, republicans always fought them and lost.

There is a reason SS is called the "third rail" of politics. George W. Bush and Paul Ryan tried to do some modest reforms 20 years ago, and were crucified by Democrats for the effort.

So the republicans pretty much said "fuck it". Let the dems fix it. Failure to address the problem in the early 2000's just means the changes needed today will be that much more harsh, oh well.

What legislation was this exactly?
Various increases in disability, survivor, and spousal benefits, supplemental security income, there's a bunch of them.

Open borders stresses the system even more, many of these people will be receiving supplemental security income benefits for the rest of their lives.

Various increases in disability, survivor, and spousal benefits, supplemental security income, there's a bunch of them.

Open borders stresses the system even more, many of these people will be receiving supplemental security income benefits for the rest of their lives.
werent survivor benefits and spouse benefits always a part of social security?

SSI was passed in 1972. Proudly signed by Nixon and passed by large bipartisan votes.

Feels like you’re pitching a narrative, not history.

werent survivor benefits and spouse benefits always a part of social security?
Nope
SSI was passed in 1972. Proudly signed by Nixon and passed by large bipartisan votes.
Nope. Passed in 1935 by FDR

edit: Sorry- yes supplemental income was first passed in 1972.

It's been tweaked a few times since. (meaning expanded to more people and increases in benefits)
Feels like you’re pitching a narrative, not history.
Yeah sure, that must be it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nope

Nope. Passed in 1935 by FDR

edit: Sorry- yes supplemental income was first passed in 1972.

It's been tweaked a few times since. (meaning expanded to more people and increases in benefits)

Yeah sure, that must be it... :rolleyes:
I’m asking for a specific piece of legislation that fits your narrative.

Can you provide any examples?

I’m asking for a specific piece of legislation that fits your narrative.

Can you provide any examples?
I already showed you the tax hikes that were done in 1983, I'm not really interested in chasing down amendments to appropriations bills for you.

Truth is, I don't really care anymore. There comes a point where it's just not worth it to try to fix something when you can't have an honest discussion about it.

I'm retired now, I'm done paying into that system. If my benefits get cut in 2030 or whenever, I will just deal with it.

The republicans tried to avert the problem, they were shut down by dems making political points.

Now it's a democrat problem- you guys figure it out.

I don’t think you can. You have a narrative you like. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not.
Like I said, it's a dem problem now. It's not worth my time and effort to try to educate the uneducable.

You can whine about boomers all you want, it doesn't matter to me.

If you guys want to double or triple the FICA rate, I'm fine with that- I don't have to pay those taxes anymore.

Dems don't want to fix the problem- "the GOP is trying to destroy social security" is a core political trope for dems, going on 40years now- it's one that will never change.

So let dems fix the problem on their own.

Forum List

Back