GOP wants to make the poor productive

Wonky Pundit

USMB's Silent Snowden
Apr 30, 2011
Quisitive
Over the last year, I've heard a number of GOP politicians talk about how we need to preserve the middle class and turn the poor into productive citizens. Personally, I think this is an excellent idea. I'm all for it.

And now, Mr. Speaker and other gentlemen, here's what needs to happen in order to achieve this very worthy goal:

• Guarantee ample funding and the most talented educators in public schools at all levels and in all neighborhoods
  • Make tuition at colleges and universities free or greatly subsidized, for those who are academically qualified and who want to pursue an economically useful degree (those who want to major in lesbian Uzbekistani basket weaving can do it on their own dime)
  • Fund a public option for universal health care
  • Regulate markets to prevent scams that discourage widespread investment
  • Rebuild the infrastructure to pave the way for faster economic development
  • Revamp the justice system so that it no longer disproportionately punishes the poor
  • Bring the percentage of incarcerated citizens back in line with the rest of the free world (jails aren't free)

You realize that NONE of the items above is a handout for lazy, irresponsible people, of course. They are simply tools for those willing to make the effort to escape poverty and be successful.

Time to put your money where your mouths are.

Over the last year, I've heard a number of GOP politicians talk about how we need to preserve the middle class and turn the poor into productive citizens. Personally, I think this is an excellent idea. I'm all for it.

And now, Mr. Speaker and other gentlemen, here's what needs to happen in order to achieve this very worthy goal:

• Guarantee ample funding and the most talented educators in public schools at all levels and in all neighborhoods
  • Make tuition at colleges and universities free or greatly subsidized, for those who are academically qualified and who want to pursue an economically useful degree (those who want to major in lesbian Uzbekistani basket weaving can do it on their own dime)
  • Revamp the justice system so that it no longer disproportionately punishes the poor
  • Bring the percentage of incarcerated citizens back in line with the rest of the free world (jails aren't free)

You realize that NONE of the items above is a handout for lazy, irresponsible people, of course. They are simply tools for those willing to make the effort to escape poverty and be successful.

better to eliminate the liberal reforms as follows since your ideas are liberal and stupid and not worth reading. We already spend tons on education and you want to spend more?? Stupid!!!

1) Make unions illegal ( 10 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

2) make minimum wage illegal ( 5 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

3) end business taxation; especially tax incentives to off-shore jobs ( 5 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

4) make inflation illegal ( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

5) make Federal debt illegal( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

6) send illegal workers home(8 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

7) Pass Balanced Budget Amendment to Constitution( 3 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

8) cut pay of government workers in half( 4 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

9) Make health insurance competition legal( 6 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

10) end needless business regulations ( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

11) restrict Federal spending to 15% of GNP( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

12) support unlimited free trade( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

13) reduced unemployment compensation, welfare, food stamps, medicaid.( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

14) privatize education, social security ( 4 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

15) end payroll taxes ( 1 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

Since Democrats always oppose wisdom and common sense the only serious option is to make them illegal as the Constitution intended.

I think the Government should just hire every man women and child so we have zero UE. Give them all free HC, free education if they want it, a free car, a free home and a free 55" flatscreen TV.

Question to the OP, if college was the answer why is the economy compared to that of the great depression when we have more people graduating college than at any other time in the worlds history?

Let me guess, you want to pay for all of your "ideas" by cutting military.... Despite even if you cut 100% of military spending you would still be running a deficit... Meaning you would just be shifting the deficit spending from military to education and welfare.

What sucks is that because you think saying FREE EDUCATION TO ALLLLLLL! makes you smarter than anyone that understands that free education means dumber students for ALLLLLLL! You know, based on history and all that. Or wait, are students getting smarter under our massive education system, becuase you have to pick one, either the education system we are doing on a massive federal scale is awesome or it sucks.

Last edited:
2 posts in and you've both already given the extreme view of each party.

:lmao:

Neither of which had anything to do with the thread topic! :rolleyes:

Sure it does, you gave a retarded un-thought through "idea" that has already failed in the US thousands of times over...

People like you scare me because you hate reality, you won't accept that you are in fact wrong because it makes you feel fuzzy and smart to say free education/healthcare/welfare/food/housing/handjobs. Where does it end and how do you argue the case for an end point on free shit when you made the ultimate case for free shit?

Chances are great you have no idea what I'm saying yet I bet millions do.

I think the Government should just hire every man women and child so we have zero UE. Give them all free HC, free education if they want it, a free care, a free home and a free 55" flatscreen TV.
:eusa_boohoo:
I said "no handouts" and I meant it. Go back and reread the OP...

Question to the OP, if college was the answer why is the economy compared to that of the great depression when we have more people graduating college than at any other time in the worlds history?
Here are the top three reasons:
1) Too many artsy-fartsy college majors
2) Favorable tax treatment to employers that offshore their jobs
3) H1-B visas
The list goes on, but those are the biggies.

Let me guess, you want to pay for all of your "ideas" by cutting military.... Despite even if you cut 100% of military spending you would still be running a deficit... Meaning you would just be shifting the deficit spending from military to education and welfare.
You guessed wrong (although the military could definitely be cut somewhat). Taxes on the 1% have to go up. Period. No screaming, no whining. Supply-side economics is dead.

What sucks is that because you think saying FREE EDUCATION TO ALLLLLLL! makes you smarter than anyone that understands that free education means dumber students for ALLLLLLL! You know, based on history and all that.
And your evidence of this is ... what?

I have a question for the OP... What if I decide to go to college for umm.... my entire life? Never work, just go to school. Do you have some magic line in the sand where being too educated is drawn? Are you only allowed to be so smart in your delusional utopia?

Another question. Say all education is free…. How do things like the buildings, energy, maintenance, landscaping, water, teachers, sports, assistances, people that just work at the buildings and so on get paid? Where does all this “free” money that totals hundreds of billions come from? Who decides the wages, who gets fired and hired and who pays them with what money and how much?

One more question, have you thought this through at all on any level past “Free education!” and “if you don’t support free education your STUPID!!!!”

I think the Government should just hire every man women and child so we have zero UE. Give them all free HC, free education if they want it, a free care, a free home and a free 55" flatscreen TV.
:eusa_boohoo:
I said "no handouts" and I meant it. Go back and reread the OP...

Here are the top three reasons:
1) Too many artsy-fartsy college majors
2) Favorable tax treatment to employers that offshore their jobs
3) H1-B visas
The list goes on, but those are the biggies.

You guessed wrong (although the military could definitely be cut somewhat). Taxes on the 1% have to go up. Period. No screaming, no whining. Supply-side economics is dead.

What sucks is that because you think saying FREE EDUCATION TO ALLLLLLL! makes you smarter than anyone that understands that free education means dumber students for ALLLLLLL! You know, based on history and all that.
And your evidence of this is ... what?

WAIT!!! You want to raise taxes on the 1%... like, more ooooor? I mean is the money gained of raising taxes on the 1% used to pay for the deficit or is it used for more bullshit that will cost tens of billions meaning we will be further in debt?

BTW all your answers are crap... I like the one where you get to dictate what classes are worth investment and what classes arn't... Yeah, in 10-20 years I'll bet YOUR ideas of what classes get subsidized are the only ones getting it, lol....

Grats at putting every college in the US out of business... I wonder how that will affect the economy.

Last edited:
I have a question for the OP... What if I decide to go to college for umm.... my entire life? Never work, just go to school. Do you have some magic line in the sand where being too educated is drawn? Are you only allowed to be so smart in your delusional utopia?
Like I said: you get your degree in an economically useful major. Any other time you want to spend in school, you pay for yourself.

Another question. Say all education is free…. How do things like the buildings, energy, maintenance, landscaping, water, teachers, sports, assistances, people that just work at the buildings and so on get paid? Where does all this “free” money that totals hundreds of billions come from? Who decides the wages, who gets fired and hired and who pays them with what money and how much?
See post #8.

One more question, have you thought this through at all on any level past “Free education!” and “if you don’t support free education your STUPID!!!!”
You should know by now that I have. And it's 'you're STUPID!!!'

4) make inflation illegal ( 2 million new jobs) Democrats oppose

Edward, I do not understand this proposal. Do you want price fixing?

To the topic at hand: I would be for turning unemployment more towards an old Civilian Conservation Corps like system.

You want to raise taxes on the 1%... like, more ooooor? I mean is the money gained of raising taxes on the 1% used to pay for the deficit or is it used for more bullshit that will cost tens of billions meaning we will be further in debt?
Admittedly it has to be used for paying for your bullshit Iraq war, but it also gets used for my bullshit, too: that's how representative government works. Deal with it.

BTW all your answers are crap...
lol, what trenchant criticism.

Grats at putting every college in the US out of business... I wonder how that will affect the economy.
I don't even want to know what orifice you pulled that one out of.

You want to raise taxes on the 1%... like, more ooooor? I mean is the money gained of raising taxes on the 1% used to pay for the deficit or is it used for more bullshit that will cost tens of billions meaning we will be further in debt?
Admittedly it has to be used for paying for your bullshit Iraq war, but it also gets used for my bullshit, too: that's how representative government works. Deal with it.

I'm sorry, careful when you call it my bullshit war, I'm a libertarian and didn't support any of the wars Republicans and Democrats do. You have quite a few wars if you voted for Obama to pay for, like Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Libya, Syria, Egypt and so on... Good luck with that.

Your "ideas" are horrible, they have all been done and are failing on scales the world has never seen and it's happening in multiple countries all at once.

You don't even have a price tag for all your free chit, you havn't even put an ounce of thought into this because lets face it, it's not your money and if it fails you will just demand more, like you're doing in this very thread.

Last edited:

Well tell me, how does a college compete with "free" on classes you see as economically viable? Do privet colleges get to offer all the basket weaving classes that will yield you no money? Or do you give some lame ass waiver where you pay for the super l33t privet school class no matter how much it costs... or seriously, wtf do you do man? You have no thought at all invested here.

• How?
  • Ever here of Scholarships? Pell Grants? College Loans? "Free" tuition for everyone in the state?
  • Why?
  • Already done.
  • Everything? Why?
  • How?
  • Again, how?
Not that I expect actual answers from the Flunky Pundit.

You know what really pisses me off about all this… I’m trying to open a 15k sqft gym atm and it’s a fucking bitch. Then I have some ass dragger saying if you go to school it’s FREEEEEeEeEeE! No thought of investment. Here I have to nail down literally every fucking dollar as to where it goes, what it gets me and what the return on it is and some chitbag gets to just decide, I WANA BE A DOCTOR!!! Then if they fail, no cost no nothing… If they graduation no cost no nothing…. 2 years later then can be like, “Being a doctor is booooooring! And stressssssfulll BBOOOooooo!” And that’s cool, it didn’t cost em anything, they just go back to college for something else!

Everyone else has to think life through, not progressives.

Or wait no, Progressive do have to think life through. It goes like this…

I have an idea!!! We tax people (the 1%, most people feel they have a prrreeettty good chance to not be hit by that tax so they will support it if they don’t get hit!) Then we use that money to pay for my life! Yay!

Forum List

Back