GOP: Minimum Wage too much - China pays $100/month

Obama needs to set the minimum wage at $100,000 and he Pay Czar needs to set a cap of $100,000, so we can all live in a Workers Paradise

Alaska Republican Joe Miller, in an interview with ABC News and Politico, said that minimum wage rates should be left up the states. "There should not be" a federal rule regulating low pay, he said. "That is not within the scope of the powers that are given to the federal government."

First Read - GOP candidates' remarks spur minimum wage debate

This year, with the Republican Party moving sharply to the far-right, the debate has added a third contingent that wants to see the minimum wage shrink, if not be eliminated altogether.

The Washington Monthly

Republicans claim to be the party for working class whites, and in fact a new poll says as much today.

But Tuesday the chairman of the Republican National Committee proved that he may not be as in touch with working class Americans as he would like you to think.

In an interview with MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell, RNC Chairman Michael Steele refused to rule out repealing or lowering the minimum wage. When pressed, the chairman couldn't even cite the rate of pay for the lowest earning Americans

Busted! RNC chair can’t name minimum wage, complains of ‘trap’ | Raw Story

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do Republicans want the US Middle Class to become "China"?

Funny, I took the time to read all those stories, and not one of them mentioned China. What exactly is your point here?

Yet the min wage does not apply to all jobs and here is a list:
The following are examples of employees exempt from both the minimum wage and overtime pay requirements:

Executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and certain skilled computer professionals (as defined in the Department of Labor's regulations) 1
Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments
Employees of certain small newspapers and switchboard operators of small telephone companies
Seamen employed on foreign vessels
Employees engaged in fishing operations
Employees engaged in newspaper delivery
Farm workers employed on small farms (i.e., those that used less than 500 "man‑days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year)
Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm
Employment Law Guide - Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay
As you can see there are several jobs listed that teens can find work in and the min wage law has no effect. The high unemployment rate for young blacks is not derived from the minimum wage but from a variety of reasons, some of which you have mentioned. Yes, part of it has to do with race because no matter what people say, when they are faced with a choice between a white man and a black man they will pick the white man. Not al the time but enough to skew the rates. But that is just one aspect. Being unskilled, being able to read and write and understand problems, being drug free and a clean record all contribute to black teen unemployment. A black teen grows up in a different society than a white teen. (I am generalizing here) The peer pressure is different. More blacks live in urban areas than whites (percentage wise) and the loss of jobs in the urban areas thereby create more unemployment for those who cannot or do not own transportation. The list of reasons goes on and on but the fed min wage has little bearing on black teen unemployment. Except for the politicians who can say anything because it sounds good.

Here I am, a brand new high school graduate, which of those jobs am I qualified for?

Yep, I can definitely get a job as a skilled computer tech, or a teacher, or maybe a executive. Most of those jobs are exempt from minimum wage because they are exempt from the overtime laws, not because they are low skill. Why don't you run along and play with your security blanket, and let the adults discuss things that seem to be way above your comprehension level.

Min. wage is a very racist law, it has hurt the very people it was intended to help such as minorities,teens and the untrained/uneducated.

I don't hear these people saying that the min wage is too high. The only ones I hear are the people who don't have to worry about min wage or the ones paying employees.

Well they aren't and won't, they will get their little raise, less of them will get hired, a few will get laid off and all will be hunky dory until the CoI exceeds that little increase and the cycle continues.

WTF is wrong with letting the states determine minimum wages? Every state has it's own costs of living, sometimes wildly different, let them figure it out.

Seems like a non issue.

No matter how much sense you make there, it doesn't change the fact that you really just don't like poor black people.

So you advocate no minimum wage and people who make $7.25 an hour now will be reduced to $2 an hour or there abouts and become slave labor? All it will do is open up more job opportunities for illegals and immigrant workers because they will be the only ones who wil take them.

Perhaps we need a new servant class?

So you advocate no minimum wage and people who make $7.25 an hour now will be reduced to $2 an hour or there abouts and become slave labor? All it will do is open up more job opportunities for illegals and immigrant workers because they will be the only ones who wil take them.

Your conclusions are based upon what, emotions? feelings? Show some PROOF - FACTS - STUDIES - EVIDENCE. I linked 50 years of studies that show the exact opposite of what you "feel" would happen.

My conclusions are based on what I see and hear is happening around me on the streets, not in some office in a high rise by people who have no sense of reality. They only see numbers, skewed numbers at that. Bad data in, bad data out.

Forum List

Back