GOP members offer amendment to force Congress to participate in public option

Well pray there is a big turn out tomorrow in DC and the Blue Dogs get the message and kill the entire BILL until after 2010.

You'd better hope a whole bunch of folks attending aren't carrying the H1N1 virus. If it spreads through large crowds like that, it will be up to existing private health care facilities to deal with it. A worst case scenario (for Teabaggers Redux) would be their desire for the status quo would be proven not such a viable solution after all.

Don't you think that if this plan is soooooooooooooooooo good for the American public that it would be good enough for the people who are forcing it on us. They wrote it afterall, and they are sure selling it, maybe they should beleive in their own plan enough to sign onto it.

Do you think it's because they know it's a disastor in the making and they don't want themselves and their families under a government controlled health care system.

The best way for them to sell this plan to the American public is sign onto it. They won't!!

They wrote this monstrosity only to take care of all the peon's who voted them in there and that's you. You peon.:lol:

A government controlled health plan? WTF are you talking about? All the government would do is pay the fucking bill as they already do. They would N-O-T run hospitals or hire and fire doctors and nurses.
:cuckoo:

They DO? What of the PRIVATE plans out there for people NOT on Medicare/Medicaid, and those out here working?

YOU need to rethink a bit. They DO NOT pay the entire bill. And it isn't government's MONEY to begin with...this is the fallacy of your statement. The MONEY belongs to the people.

The "government" also subsidizes private insurance companies by way of massive tax deductions in the billions so that they can bring the same type of benefits as Medicaid/Medicare.

Excellent idea Horse. I wonder how long it would take for things to get "fixed" if our elected officials and Govt workers lived in the same world we taxpayers do?????

I sure ain't holdin my breath for it to happen though. After all, they are the ones who voted in all the perks for themselves. Just think, they call corporate CEOs greedy and self serving. Corporate CEO's ain't got nothin on these guys.

The WHOLE premise is? Are Congresscritters Citizens or NOT?

If it is OK for us out here PAYIN' the fuckin'; BILL for this, then CONGRESSCRITTERS should Man-UP (or Woman-UP) as the case may be and OPT for what they are SELLING US.

And this is wrong....HOW Exactly? (In your estimation)? Or do you side with the ELITES that think their shit doesn't stink?
The game is wrong.

What eactly would be so bad about the public option? You keep inferring the Congress would fear being part of the public option? Red herrings are not an appetizer

and you are avoiding the question Dev....would they give up what they have and join us?.......and if not.....Why?

I think some would, just on principle. Some would just for political grandstanding. But most would not give up their own government sponsored insurance. But keep in mind that Congress (government employees) also have several plans to choose from because it isn't ALL "free." There are deductibles and co-pays that vary. It's pretty much the same concept as the public policy "exchanges" proposed to be offered, and we really don't know at this point what those would cover.

Facts people facts. And I'm not going to dig back into this and look it up.

This was introduced into Committee over a month ago,

It came to a vote in committee.

It was voted down by a straight party line. Democrats defeated it in committee.

You didn't truly expect them to allow this to get to the floor did you?

Those are hardly the facts. The health care reform bill is proceeding from start to finish in exactly the same manner as any other bill. It's now in the final conference stage (one bill emerging between the House and Senate versions), and then it will go to the Senate floor for debate.

So right. If its good enough for "We the People" and its so damned great then I would think our elected officials and Govt workers would be the first in line to partake of this marvelous new Govt Entitlment.

Lets get real. The first thing the clowns did was to exempt themselves and Govt workers from this "wonderful" public option. Apparantly its good enough for us taxpayers who provide the money but not good enough for those employed by us. Funny how that works. The clowns and Govt workers all have goldplated bene's and retirement packages provided by the taxpayers. Who would want to give that up to jump on the public option?? Should be required. Wonder how long they would fight for that same public option if they had to use it???
A huge part of the problem is that once they are elected, even as a congressperson, and even for a single two year term, they are ENTITLED for the rest of their lives to health-care benefits and a huge cumulative pension as a reward for their public service. How could we ever expect to get them to give those perks up? Could they change perks earned in the past by earlier people? Or would any new batch of people accept less than those who've gone before? They truly are a class apart from the rest of us. And any public exposure of what they give themselves only spurs a like desire by a large part of the population as justification for equal goodies.

I happen to agree that they should not be entitled to these benefits for life, but I also think that they ARE entitled to more than your basic man on the street because they represent government leadership. Isn't this how it works in the private sector? The boss usually earns more than his secretary, the company will pay for his/her benefit package but not the secretary's, and ah those bonuses.

Excellent idea Horse. I wonder how long it would take for things to get "fixed" if our elected officials and Govt workers lived in the same world we taxpayers do?????

I sure ain't holdin my breath for it to happen though. After all, they are the ones who voted in all the perks for themselves. Just think, they call corporate CEOs greedy and self serving. Corporate CEO's ain't got nothin on these guys.

Well I can't really think of any Congressperson who's a billionnaire, nor any that reap bonus checks paid by the taxpayers in the millions.

It's all well and good to criticize their perks, and even their term limits, but if it makes you feel better, then knock yourself out. But nothing like that will change anytime soon because you'll never get a simple majority of 535 people to reduce their own benefits, and the latter would require a Constitutional amendment.

Thats why I said not to hold your breath.

You should check your facts though. No Billionairs but at least 40 of the 100 US senators are millionaires, some many times over, according to financial disclosure filings submitted last month. Republicans on the list outnumbered Democrats by a narrow margin of 22 to 18. However, Democratic senators hold the top five spots on the list and eight of the top ten, according to an analysis of the forms by CNN.

No they ain't doin bad at all.

Where is jillian and you other liberals on this???? What do you want to bet that they will be for Republicans going on public option but not Democrats....

Your so right Horse. Elitist is the word.These Congressmen and Senators only have to serve one term and they and their spouses are set for life. Oh yes, it is good to be a member of Congress or a Govt worker.

As for we taxpayers who fund the good life for all Govt employees, funny how that worked. They work for us and make out way better than we who supply the money. Talk about upside down.

so go get a govt job....

hey Kman, I'm all for it, but the blowhard knows it will never pass even on the red side of fence, can you say strawman bullshit hits again LOL

Your so right Horse. Elitist is the word.These Congressmen and Senators only have to serve one term and they and their spouses are set for life. Oh yes, it is good to be a member of Congress or a Govt worker.

As for we taxpayers who fund the good life for all Govt employees, funny how that worked. They work for us and make out way better than we who supply the money. Talk about upside down.

so go get a govt job....

Don't worry Harry. The CEO's of the world will still make millions. And just because you lived thru a great depression, doesn't mean we should all have to as well.

so go get a govt job....

Don't worry Harry. The CEO's of the world will still make millions. And just because you lived thru a great depression, doesn't mean we should all have to as well.

you live in Deeeetroit city no? Here's that latest,,, Deeeetroit city is in a great depression..

Where is jillian and you other liberals on this???? What do you want to bet that they will be for Republicans going on public option but not Democrats....

How bout we do this..

Allow them the CHOICE of which policy provides the best option for their families

The same as the current bill does for ALL Americans

Why do you insist on denying people a choice? You don't want Americans to have a choice of a public option and you don't want Congress to have a choice of a private option

GOP members offer amendment to force Congress to participate in public option
By Tony Romm - 11/04/09 01:42 PM ET

Five House Republicans hope to add to Democrats' healthcare reform bill an amendment that would automatically enroll members of Congress in the public option program.

The effort, spearheaded by Reps. John Fleming (La.), Joe Wilson (S.C.), Wally Herger (Calif.), Phil Gingrey (Ga.) and Steve Scalise (La.), would bar lawmakers from participating in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, which they currently use for health insurance. Instead, members would have to rely on the Health Insurance Exchange and the public option plan House Democrats are proposing in their latest healthcare reform effort.

“If Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi [D-Calif.] and her Democratic counterparts truly believe that their government insurance option is the best way forward for healthcare in the United States, then they should be fully supportive of amending the bill to ensure that every single member of Congress, both in the House and Senate, is enrolled in it," explained Rep. Gingrey, who is leading the new campaign.

Sounds sensible to me. Last time I checked? Members of Government were citizens too. If it's good for US, then I'ts good for them too.

Pretty gutsy amendment if you ask me.

Congresswoman Sue Myrick : Press Releases : Myrick Health Care Amendment Fails In Committee
snip,
Myrick Health Care Amendment Fails In Committee
07/31/09

(Washington, D.C.) – The amendment to automatically enroll the President, Vice President and all Members of Congress in the public option created by HR 3200, the America’s Affordable Health Choice Act, failed along a party-line vote last night.

so go get a govt job....

Where the hell have you been?

so go get a govt job....

you got me mixed up with Old Rocks Teabag Boy.....:razz:

you got me mixed up with Old Rocks Teabag Boy.....:razz:

I think he teabagged chris.

thats why i heard Bobo has been gone so long.....Chris gagged and bit Bo's Balls off....they tried to reattach them but couldnt find his Balls....you know what that meant.....:lol:

Forum List

Back