GOP and Christian Conservatives to revise the Bible!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
I just saw this on the news, and decided that I had to find it online and post it here.

You guys ain't gonna fucking believe it......

Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

* Print
* ShareThis

The top-selling Bible in North America will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text.

The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

"We want to reach English speakers across the globe with a Bible that is accurate, accessible and that speaks to its readers in a language they can understand," said Keith Danby, global president and CEO of Biblica, a Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Christian ministry that holds the NIV copyright.

But past attempts to remake the NIV for contemporary audiences in different editions have been plagued by controversies about gender language that have pitted theological conservatives against each other.

The changes did not make all men "people" or remove male references to God, but instead involved dropping gender-specific terms when translators judged that the original text didn't intend it. So in some verses, references to "sons of God" became "children of God," for example.

Supporters say gender-inclusive changes are more accurate and make the Bible more accessible, but critics contend they twist meaning or smack of political correctness.

Acknowledging past missteps, the NIV's overseers are promising that this time, the revision process will be more transparent and that they will actively promote what they describe as a long-held practice of inviting input from scholars and readers.

The NIV was first published in 1978 and more than 300 million NIV Bibles are in print worldwide; its publishers and distributors say the translation accounts for 30 percent of Bibles sold in North America.

The Committee on Bible Translation, an independent group of conservative scholars and translators formed in 1965 to create and revise the NIV, will oversee the new revision.

An effort earlier this decade to create a separate version of the NIV that used more gender-inclusive language in an attempt to reach a younger audience fell flat with groups that felt it crossed the line.
Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Comments, questions, shock?

If they went ahead and used the damned oldest scriptures they have- the dead sea scrolls, and included the shit that they freaking left out in King James' days, then I would be all for it.

I am NOT all for them changing an already inaccurate and incomplete English translation of scripture.

Scripture is scripture- and the only REAL and TRUE scripture left is the stuff in the scrolls...

XOXO
Agnostic for a reason..

They care about "gender" when they have stories like "Noah's Ark"? That stuff is pure fantasy. You have to be incredibly gullible to believe Noah and Samson and Jonah. Come on.

Funny, King James:

Was King James Gay? | The Smirking Chimp

“Those who practice homosexuality should swiftly be put to death by the government. God emphatically condemns the practice of exchanging proper gender characteristics among men and women. God justly calls for the death-penalty for anyone who practices homosexuality.”

Would fundamentalist Christians put King James to death? After all, his subjects joked "Elizabeth was King: now James is Queen."

Anti-gay fundamentalists might not like to hear it but just listen to what King James wrote to George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham: "I naturally so love your person, and adore all your other parts, which are more than ever one man had." James also wrote Villiers that "I desire only to live in the world for your sake."

Before the Privy Council James boldly defended their relationship by saying that he was “neither a god nor an angel, but a man, like any other. Therefore I act like a man and confess to loving those dear to me more than other men. You may be sure that I love the Earl of Buckingham more than anyone else, and more than you who are here assembled. I wish to speak in my own behalf and not to have it thought to be a defect, for Jesus Christ did the same, and therefore I cannot be blamed. Christ had John, and I have George."

-----------------------------------

I love your "parts". Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Christian conservatives were a group created out of the GOP.

Just more proof that Repugnicans are getting stupider every day!

I just saw this on the news, and decided that I had to find it online and post it here.

* Print
* ShareThis

The top-selling Bible in North America will undergo its first revision in 25 years, modernizing the language in some sections and promising to reopen a contentious debate about changing gender terms in the sacred text.

The New International Version, the Bible of choice for conservative evangelicals, will be revised to reflect changes in English usage and advances in Biblical scholarship, it was announced Tuesday. The revision is scheduled to be completed late next year and published in 2011.

"We want to reach English speakers across the globe with a Bible that is accurate, accessible and that speaks to its readers in a language they can understand," said Keith Danby, global president and CEO of Biblica, a Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Christian ministry that holds the NIV copyright.

But past attempts to remake the NIV for contemporary audiences in different editions have been plagued by controversies about gender language that have pitted theological conservatives against each other.

The changes did not make all men "people" or remove male references to God, but instead involved dropping gender-specific terms when translators judged that the original text didn't intend it. So in some verses, references to "sons of God" became "children of God," for example.

Supporters say gender-inclusive changes are more accurate and make the Bible more accessible, but critics contend they twist meaning or smack of political correctness.

Acknowledging past missteps, the NIV's overseers are promising that this time, the revision process will be more transparent and that they will actively promote what they describe as a long-held practice of inviting input from scholars and readers.

The NIV was first published in 1978 and more than 300 million NIV Bibles are in print worldwide; its publishers and distributors say the translation accounts for 30 percent of Bibles sold in North America.

The Committee on Bible Translation, an independent group of conservative scholars and translators formed in 1965 to create and revise the NIV, will oversee the new revision.

An effort earlier this decade to create a separate version of the NIV that used more gender-inclusive language in an attempt to reach a younger audience fell flat with groups that felt it crossed the line.
Best-Selling Bible for Conservative Evangelicals to Undergo Revision - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

I stick with the King James.

Sounds to me like they can make whatever changes they want. Its their version of the Bible. I don't know how many different versions there are but I doubt its big news that revisions are being done to one version of the Bible.

I don't see how the GOP is involved in any way. Just because a majority of these particular Christians may be party members doesn't mean the GOP is responsible for it. Are the democrats repsonsible for all the actions of ACORN?

* Print
* ShareThis

I stick with the King James.

Not the most accurate. If you want a very accurate translation try the Holmann Christian Standard Bible. It's a translation done by very conservative evangelicals who are biblical literalists. They even note where there are differences in manuscripts.

I disagree with fundamentalists, but having been one in the past, I know that nobody would be more careful translating the "inerrant word of God" than them.

* Print
* ShareThis

Biker, do you think it could be springing from this? The conservative bible project from the makers of Conservapedia.

All this does is give more proof that written scripture has been influenced by man. That is not to say there is no truth in scripture, but man has had his influence on the final product, so many things are up for interpretation. Specifically with the Bible, there truly is only one real lesson that cannot be argued, and that is to love thy neighbor as we love ourselves. To me, anything outside of that is open for debate.

In the Librul edition, they're going to do Global Replace and substitute Obama for Jesus

:clap2: Bravo, Bravo...

Your elegant wit is astounding.... How do you do it.

It just comes natural and I've been this way my whole life.

We had a 6th grade reunion (this was a while ago, I had to dodge woolly mammoths to get to class) and one of the classmates pulled out a 6 page letter from back then asking if we would be interested in contributing to get the retiring teacher a gift, the initial request took up all over 4 sentences but I had the first response:

"I'll put in my 2 cents"

and that triggered a "can you top this" from the rest of the class generating pages of hilarious responses.

i have about ten different versions of the bible, all are similar, language is modernized, content and context remain the same. translational difference can and do occure where the word permits more than one usage that could fit the context. no big deal, it happens and will continue to happen. i laugh in the face of anti-christian maggots who think this is some new way to attack christians for their beliefs.

If they went ahead and used the damned oldest scriptures they have- the dead sea scrolls, and included the shit that they freaking left out in King James' days, then I would be all for it.

I am NOT all for them changing an already inaccurate and incomplete English translation of scripture.

Scripture is scripture- and the only REAL and TRUE scripture left is the stuff in the scrolls...

XOXO
Agnostic for a reason..

What about the other 30 or so gospels that the Romans excluded to make the Bible more accessible to the ignorant barbarians??

XOXO
Agnostic for a reason..

What about the other 30 or so gospels that the Romans excluded to make the Bible more accessible to the ignorant barbarians??

Nag Hammadi Library

Works for me

Forum List

Back