Good Times!

Worked as a mailman for a while. That was fun, except for the time I slipped on a black ice covered, vertical drop driveway in February. Woke up who knows how long later with my head glued to the driveway with frozen blood.

Worked as a mailman for a while. That was fun, except for the time I slipped on a black ice covered, vertical drop driveway in February. Woke up who knows how long later with my head glued to the driveway with frozen blood.

That is awful. Thank God you didn't die out there.

For some reason I decided I didn't want to be a mailman forever, so one day I up and quit. I sold everything I owned and bought a one-way ticket to China. Didn't know a soul there and didn't speak one word of the language. Just picked a city by closing my eyes and putting my finger on a map and headed out. That was fun.

For some reason I decided I didn't want to be a mailman forever, so one day I up and quit. I sold everything I owned and bought a one-way ticket to China. Didn't know a soul there and didn't speak one word of the language. Just picked a city by closing my eyes and putting my finger on a map and headed out. That was fun.
So, how were you able to deliver mail in China if you didn't speak the language? :dunno:

Does this mean he owes God? :dunno:

I'd say he should be grateful and thank God. Yes. Is that offensive to you? To thank God for having saved your life? I have thanked God for saving mine before.

Wow. THAT is an interesting story, unkotare. Tell more about that. What happened when you got to China and the city your finger chose?

Does this mean he owes God? :dunno:

I'd say he should be grateful and thank God. Yes. Is that offensive to you? To thank God for having saved your life? I have thanked God for saving mine before.
What makes you think that would be offensive to me?

I've had many brushes with death. Why would I thank God after the fact? :dunno:

So, how were you able to deliver mail in China if you didn't speak the language? :dunno:

He quit his job as a mailman and then moved to China. Good night, Mr. H.!

LOL, no more mail delivery. I just turned up in town and wandered around a bit. Stayed in a hotel exactly one night. Within 24 hours I had a job teaching at a local university. Came with an apartment and everything. Worked there for two years on a "foreign expert" visa. That was fun.

LOL, no more mail delivery. I just turned up in town and wandered around a bit. Stayed in a hotel exactly one night. Within 24 hours I had a job teaching at a local university. Came with an apartment and everything. Worked there for two years on a "foreign expert" visa. That was fun.
Tell more.

I can see selling everything I have and getting a one way ticket to Maui, but...to some foreign place where I don't know the language? Dayum. That beats my stint as a galley cook on a tuna boat dressed as a guy cuz women were not allowed.:lol:

A friend of mine did pretty much the same thing. He'd been teaching ESL over there for the last several years. Finally got burned out.

He quit his job as a mailman and then moved to China. Good night, Mr. H.!
Au contraire, my night is just beginning... :slap:

Tell more.

I can see selling everything I have and getting a one way ticket to Maui, but...to some foreign place where I don't know the language? Dayum. That beats my stint as a galley cook on a tuna boat dressed as a guy cuz women were not allowed.:lol:

I did that in France. Took one of those high school maps where they show what products each area is known for, picked one at random that had both "wine" and "cheese" and headed there with a one-way ticket and a couple hundred bucks spending money. Had no contacts, had never studied French. Ended up staying the rest of that year and half the next, worked on a couple of wine harvests and ended up an au pair boy in Paris.

-- which strikes me as far less dangerous/adventurous than being the only female on a ship in disguise.

Oh, the crew knew I was female. They named me Charlie. I tucked my butt length hair up in a baseball cap when not in a slicker on deck and avoided the captain. He stayed up in the wheel house barking orders so it wasn't hard to be away from him. I cooked for the crew, did mundane things on deck but stayed clear when they were hauling in the tuna. I finally got busted and Capt dropped my ass off at the harbor.
I celebrated my 21st birthday on that boat and the only candle they had for the cake they made for me (the crew) was one big HUGE assed joint. :lol:

Yes. Good times.:)

Forum List

Back