Gonna go see Prometheous in 3D today

Do not see this horrible POS. Yes, it does explain some things that happened before Alien. The rest of it is a statement about how faith and biblical creationism is somehow valid despite finding overwhelming proof none of it happened. They lay the faith and christian religion bullshit on with a cement mixer over the plot. Alien was not about religion. The things that are really interesting about the aliens and how we got here are just briefly mentioned in between bullshit philisophical arguments.

Yes, they do a great job of scenery that you can recognize from the original Alien. For the brief moments this is an alien movie it is actually good. This is not a compliment because it only reminds you this had a decent idea behind it, and could have been a great prequel had they stuck to what made Alien and Aliens really good space horror movies. Most of the movie is not this.

To explain I will use the scenes from the trailer. They discover a number of non-christian civilizations had some similar dealings with giant people and a map that leads to the planet. Nothing was christian. All of the reasons they know what they know comes from non-christian tribal faiths. The movie then goes on to confirm this planet and these giant people existed which means the bible was a load of human created bullshit that never referenced these beings. Then despite all the evidence the so called scientists "want" to believe in jesus so they ignore everything. I am sitting there the whole time thinking these scientists are the worst possible scientists ever.

It may have been OK if they picked a side to stay on instead of trying to be on both, but they didn't. Because of this all the fun of Alien which never involved the deep philisophical ideas of where we came from and what we are doing here was completely lost among a few scenes of nostalgic scenery that somewhat explains the original. Even that explanation was so poorly explained we had to have captain exposition give us the brief explanation of why the aliens were there so we could get back to the god arguments which had nothing at all to do with the reasons any of this was going on. Oh, and the best thing is that after answering most of the questions as to why the nostromo was eventually diverted to this planet, they raised so many more questions. Of course these are questions i have no desitre to see answered if i have to take the bible beating in a second movie.

this movie is to alien what episode one was to star wars. Complete with all the dated arguments of creationism and biblical bullshit we see today that they tried to shove into their fantasy movie to explain things like metachlorians explain jedi. Seriously, all they needed was a crazy future presidential campaign with the first gay president fighting against the evil Mick Parry, Nutt Rimney, and Dick Assjizz. Have i mentioned how much i hate when fantasy films start involving modern arguments for no fucking reason?
Funny... a friend of mine who is a VERY devout christian went to it yesterday and said it was disappointing but never saw any of the Christian overtones you're talking about.

I dunno. Sounds like some hypersensitivity (to hating Christians) interfered to what you saw, but hey. It's your perception.

(...)
oh one questions, tenuous spolier alert -

the alien at the beginning who drinks the serum whatever it was, was he committing suicide? Attempting to get his toxic remains into the water supply ...what?

SPOILER
Was it even the same planet?
When the humans landed, there was no waterfalls, instead a desert planet.
Maybe the serum was something to destroy life on the planet (beginning with the water).

When he drinks that "serum" in the sky is also a ship, or not?

the planet they ( the humans went to) landed on was not the planet he was on at the beginning, I thought that was pretty plain.

If it's not the same planet, then the Alien with the "serum" was on earth.
The "serum" liquefied his body with DNA into the water, probably to create life on earth, but on that planet was already water and green swamps.

(...)
oh one questions, tenuous spolier alert -

the alien at the beginning who drinks the serum whatever it was, was he committing suicide? Attempting to get his toxic remains into the water supply ...what?

SPOILER
Was it even the same planet?
When the humans landed, there was no waterfalls, instead a desert planet.
Maybe the serum was something to destroy life on the planet (beginning with the water).

When he drinks that "serum" in the sky is also a ship, or not?

the planet they ( the humans went to) landed on was not the planet he was on at the beginning, I thought that was pretty plain.

This was possibly the ONLY clear point in the movie: Else why the fuck would the earthings travel for 2+years to get there.

But what I was waiting for was some explaination as to the purpose of the first scene of the movie: Why did the Giant White Skinhead, alone on what I presume was primal Earth, drink the shit that makes their heads explode? WTF?

Also, recall the White Biologist Geek? The one that wore glasses because in Hollywood all scientists wear glasses? Am I suoppsed to believe that in the year 2092 they won't be able to perform LASIK surgery on everyone, but they will be able to build a fucking machine that can be programmed to give yourself an abortion after the third trimester?

If it's not the same planet, then the Alien with the "serum" was on earth.
The "serum" liquefied his body with DNA into the water, probably to create life on earth, but on that planet was already water and green swamps.

WHAT?

A Fucking ADVANCED Alien Civilization could only invent a method on implanting planets with thier DNA by having one of their guys drink a "serum" next to a waterfall, then self destructing while watching his Starship vanish into the atmosphere?

The planet the engineer was on in the beginning was Earth or another earthlike planet. That scene shows us that in order for life to be created, something else must be destroyed, which they actually said later on in the film. That Engineer was "Prometheus". He died to give us life, which is the theme of the movie really. It was all about our intentions. Notice that the event in which the Engineers were running for their lives ( and mostly died ) was "about 2000 years ago"

The references to Christ were heavy handed and boring and bizaare all at the same time. It was all about giving yourself for others. Sacrificing your life for the lives of others. Which is why the Engineer went absolutely INSANE when David asked him to extend the life of Weyland. Here were the children they meant to destroy, finally accepting the invitation and theyre everything the Engineers abhor.

The movie just sucked. To actually "get" what was going on and the symbolism of that movie you would need a masters degree in comparative religion. And even then it was just BAAAD.

The planet the engineer was on in the beginning was Earth or another earthlike planet. That scene shows us that in order for life to be created, something else must be destroyed, which they actually said later on in the film. That Engineer was "Prometheus". He died to give us life, which is the theme of the movie really. It was all about our intentions. Notice that the event in which the Engineers were running for their lives ( and mostly died ) was "about 2000 years ago"

The references to Christ were heavy handed and boring and bizaare all at the same time. It was all about giving yourself for others. Sacrificing your life for the lives of others. Which is why the Engineer went absolutely INSANE when David asked him to extend the life of Weyland. Here were the children they meant to destroy, finally accepting the invitation and theyre everything the Engineers abhor.

The movie just sucked. To actually "get" what was going on and the symbolism of that movie you would need a masters degree in comparative religion. And even then it was just BAAAD.

that seems to fit thx.

the movie was convoluted, I think they cut the shit out of it to get it to 2 hours. *shrugs*

which leads me to wonder, how do we get to alien, in that there is another craft, an engineer in his cockpit seat and his chest had exploded on LV 426 in the original....

Sad to hear so many Debbie Downers. The story was slow but in all honesty the first one was even slower. I think too many people went in with preconceived ideas of what they were about to see.

As to the religious crap. I'm not a believer and simply don't care. You all act as if Hollywood shoves religion like they do the gay agenda. Get over it.....or yourselves.

that seems to fit thx.

the movie was convoluted, I think they cut the shit out of it to get it to 2 hours. *shrugs*

which leads me to wonder, how do we get to alien, in that there is another craft, an engineer in his cockpit seat and his chest had exploded on LV 426 in the original....

He likely is still in the seat and was already infected.

that seems to fit thx.

but that planet they landed on where the story took place was not LV-426 it was if memory serves LV 323 or 326, or something close...

that seems to fit thx.

but that planet they landed on where the story took place was not LV-426 it was if memory serves LV 323 or 326, or something close...

Ahh, I didn't catch that. There were other ships though so maybe other creator's?

It's on movies2k.com now so I may watch it again to fill in the blanks.

Haven't been to a theater in a very long time outside of the drive in with the kids and friends. But Ive been a Ridley Scott fan since his early days so im gonna splurge.

UNLESS someone in here has seen it and says its not worth 30 bucks....

I saw it, but not in 3D.

Standing alone without Alien, it was a very entertaining movie. It would be worth going to see, but it didn't really beat the original Alien movie as far as its punch. But. then, how could any movie. Alien was a trendsetter.

Sad to hear so many Debbie Downers. The story was slow but in all honesty the first one was even slower. I think too many people went in with preconceived ideas of what they were about to see.

As to the religious crap. I'm not a believer and simply don't care. You all act as if Hollywood shoves religion like they do the gay agenda. Get over it.....or yourselves.

What story?

Seriously lets talk...

BIG SPOILERS ALERT !!!! SKIP THIS POST IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE AND STILL WANT TO. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Ok now that THATS out of the way.

I could care less about the religious aspects of the movie. Those themes were such a punch to the face they were only insulting in that Ridley felt he needed to blugeon us with such things to get a half hearted point across.

Its the story itself thats BAD. Wheres the character development? Where the story arc? There isnt one. The characetrs behaved in ways that they shouldnt have.

Lets go to the "surgery scene" Liz has just been informed by David that shes pregnant with a very "special" child. She wants it out. He refuses and even drugs her to get her into stasis to take back to Earth.

She escapes and goes to the surgery pod. Gets the damed thing out of her and the NEXT THING that happens is she finds Weyland along with David ( and others ) Now does she freak out on David? Nope. She looks at Weyland and says," Youve been here the whole time? "

No, Hey fuck you David for leaving that monster inside me. Not even so much as a tongue sticking out in his general direction. She IGNORES him and focuses on the old guy.

Shes just watched the man she loves be burned alive, and pulled an alien creature out of herself that he apparently impregnated her with and she sits there calmly and says," Oh youve been here the whole time" Cmon!

Or how about the death of Vickers? This is a bitch who thinks shes smart enough to run Weyland after dear old dad kicks the bucket BUT isnt smart enough to run SIDEWAYS????
Seriously, set aside all the Alien movies and look at this movie as a stand alone...and its utter crap. It REQUIRES that you have knowledge of the other movies, it blungeons us with half explained religious themes but NEVER actually gets to the point.

Big thumbs down for a crappy movie.

And now Im really apprehensive about the Blade Runner sequel he wants to do next.

ETA: Oh and the planet Prometheus takes place on is NOT the planet the Nostromo landed on. So we still dont know the story of that particular "Space Jockey"

Last edited:

What story?

Seriously lets talk...

BIG SPOILERS ALERT !!!! SKIP THIS POST IF YOUIR HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE AND STILL WANT TO. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Ok now that THATS out of the way.

I could care less about the religious aspects of the movie. Those themes were such a punch to the face they were only insulting in that Ridley felt he needed to blugeon us with such things to get a half hearted point across.

Its the story itself thats BAD. Wheres the character development? Where the story arc? There isnt one. The characetrs behaved in ways that they shouldnt have.

Lets go to the "surgery scene" Liz has just been informed by David that shes pregnant with a very "special" child. She wants it out. He refuses and even drugs her to get her into stasis to take back to Earth.

She escapes and goes to the surgery pod. Gets the damed thing out of her and the NEXT THING that happens is she finds Weyland along with David ( and others ) Now does she freak out on David? Nope. She looks at Weyland and says," Youve been here the whole time? "

No, Hey fuck you David for leaving that monster inside me. Not even so much as a tongue sticking out in his general direction. She IGNORES him and focuses on the old guy.

Shes just watched the man she loves be burned alive, and pulled an alien creature out of herself that he apparently impregnated her with and she sits there calmly and says," Oh youve been here the whole time" Cmon!

Or how about the death of Vickers? This is a bitch who thinks shes smart enough to run Weyland after dear old dad kicks the bucket BUT isnt smart enough to run SIDEWAYS????
Seriously, set aside all the Alien movies and look at this movie as a stand alone...and its utter crap. It REQUIRES that you have knowledge of the other movies, it blungeons us with half explained religious themes but NEVER actually gets to the point.

Big thumbs down for a crappy movie.

And now Im really apprehensive about the Blade Runner sequel he wants to do next.

ETA: Oh and the planet Prometheus takes place on is NOT the planet the Nostromo landed on. So we still dont know the story of that particular "Space Jockey"

Not only that but:

1) Why didn't Scott let the alien explain what they were doing (when David asked him)? Because I don't think the director or script writer thought that far ahead.
2) What was the point of the exploding alien head? It added nothing to the story.
3) Why would the aliens 'start' Earth, then 'reawaken' themsleves to go and destory it (I have my own theory, but none was put forward in the story)
4) It is inferred that the aliens left signs with ancient civilisations to show us' the way'...how did they do this? Were aliens living amongst us, or was it preprogrammed into the DNA of the dude who started it all by the waterfall?
5) If the moon by the plaent was indeed a military base with bio weapons as suggested by Prometheous's captain, why would they direct mere earthlings to find it? No logic. Direct them to a civilisation of the ages, I get that, but a military base in the middle of nowhere? ppfffttt
6) What was the point of David killing Shaw's lover by putting an alien doofer in his martini?

Plenty of other holes/unanswered questions that left a big "WFT?" as I walked out the cinema...

Last edited:
That's a lot of expectations for a sci-fi movie. I just try to relax and enjoy. Now were this a drama or something then yea.

To each their own

Forum List

Back