Goldengate 1970's busted murderer and rapist was a cop..

Eaglewings

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I am bothered by this because I was in this area when he was killing...using his cop license to gain access .

This man could have been your neighbor, creepy.

Genealogy websites helped lead investigators to Golden Gate Killer suspect

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - Investigators in California narrowed in on the Golden State Killer suspect by using the genetic profile of a relative on ancestry websites that solicit DNA samples from users, a Sacramento County prosecutor said on Thursday.

The suspect, identified as former police officer Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested on Tuesday outside the Sacramento-area home where he has lived for at least two decades. He is accused of committing a dozen murders, 45 rapes and scores of home invasions in a crime-spree spanning 10 years and 10 California counties during the 1970s and 1980s.

Genealogy websites helped lead investigators to Golden Gate Killer suspect

All cop licenses make their criminal activities they do,
legally shielded from prosecutions.
As they are not reported for the most parts, and if are,
stupid jurors make it acceptable as part of doing the job.
Well, it's a membership license like the mob. A made man
know. You can do anythang you want. But you can kill cops
without getting approvals.

Last edited:
It is amazing that they caught the asshole using DNA. At least we can say government sometimes does good things. This is one example.

It is amazing that they caught the asshole using DNA. At least we can say government sometimes does good things. This is one example.
Yep, but they also used dna to blame someone else first. I find that disturbing.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the government using Ancestry DNA data to nab criminals. Ancestry is apparently also handing over DNA testing to medical research facilities. Some say all this "ancestry" research is just a hook to get people's DNA on file.
Not sure how I feel about it.

Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I read it yesterday and can’t find it now. But here is a little on how they did match his dna-

How DNA Tests Helped ID Suspected 'Golden State Killer'
Joseph James DeAngelo, who authorities suspect is the so-called Golden State Killer responsible for at least a dozen murders and 50 rapes in the 1970s and 80s, was arrested more than three decades after the last killing with the help of information from an online genealogical site. Investigators haven't disclosed many key elements about why they took this very unusual step to find a suspect.

Here's a look at the case and some of the questions surrounding it:

HOW DID AUTHORITIES IDENTIFY HIM?
The Sacramento County district attorney's office said Thursday DNA from one of the crime scenes was checked against genetic profiles from genealogical websites that collect DNA samples to help people learn about their family backgrounds.

One of the main investigators who helped capture a California serial rapist told the Mercury News that his team used a public DNA matching website.

Lead investigator Paul Holes said one of his team's biggest tools was GEDMatch, a Florida-based website that pools DNA profiles that people upload and share publicly.

Authorities zeroed in on DeAngelo after determining one of his relatives whose genetic information was on the site was a familial match for the DNA from the crime scene.

They then set up surveillance at DeAngelo's home in Citrus Heights, California, just outside Sacramento and collected two "discarded DNA samples" from him. One didn't contain enough DNA but the other tied him to the DNA evidence.

The original article also had this info in it, but included that tidbit I mentioned.

Yep, but they also used dna to blame someone else first. I find that disturbing.
Can you expand on that a bit?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the government using Ancestry DNA data to nab criminals. Ancestry is apparently also handing over DNA testing to medical research facilities. Some say all this "ancestry" research is just a hook to get people's DNA on file.
I know how I feel about it. I will never trust our government with anything. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and extremely dangerous, though in this case, it appears they got it right.

Well maybe they will find the Zodiac killer. This one ( the goldengate guy ) was a cop..he pulled people over I think..

I know how I feel about it. I will never trust our government with anything. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and extremely dangerous, though in this case, it appears they got it right.
I don't trust doctors anymore either... we have to advocate for ourselves

I don't either. Last one I saw was a young female. As she bent over me to do something, she STANK!

Last edited:
I don't either. Last one I saw was a young female. As bent over me to do something, she STANK!
I was so sick for 30 days throwing up all of the doctors missed it ..it wasn't until my eyes went bad and called an ambulance myself..I told this ER doctor that I wasn't leaving until he finds what was wrong..

I was there 3 times ..and Mike I agree about the illegals using our medical free because legally the Er's have to see everyone..every time I was getting IV's in the waiting room next to people sick with colds..this hospital used to be so good until they needed mass sick people..I won't go there anymore..
I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and felt like I was in jail just horrible....

One things for sure now, you'd be crazy to send your DNA to one of these geneology places.
From the additional information provided by depotoo, the government didn't lurk in Ancestry's DNA data files. They went to a PUBLIC forum where people willingly upload their DNA results in hopes of finding relatives. That's a lot different than the cops calling Ancestry and asking them to do a DNA match.

I've seen several TV shows about this guy.
He used to tie them up and pile up dishes on the guy's back. He would tell them if he heard those dishes move while he was raping the woman, he would kill them.
During a town meeting a guy got up and said there was no way he could tie them both up like that.
That guy and his wife were the next victims.

One things for sure now, you'd be crazy to send your DNA to one of these geneology places.
If, ya did not see that one coming you are likely one of those who think it is a good idea to post pictures of your self breaking the law on face book! people do not seem to think about consequences any more!

Forum List

Back