Golden Gate Bridge suicide net

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
The committee overseeing San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge voted this week to install a suicide net to prevent the nearly 30 people a year who take their lives there.

With the high cost of installing the net, ($40 -$50 million )why not just give the money to the suicidal, thus reducing their reasons for wanting to kill themselves? :)

But seriously, who wants to start a pool as to when the first person hangs them self from the net?

Bobby
Idle Wordship-The World We View

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in ages. If people want to kill themselves, they'll find a way. Like a net is going to stop them.

Arnold needs to take that money and deduct it from federal funds he's asking for to run the state.

The committee overseeing San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge voted this week to install a suicide net to prevent the nearly 30 people a year who take their lives there.

With the high cost of installing the net, ($40 -$50 million )why not just give the money to the suicidal, thus reducing their reasons for wanting to kill themselves? :)

But seriously, who wants to start a pool as to when the first person hangs them self from the net?

Bobby

:eusa_hand: This really doesn't surprise me. Since San Francisco is a "safe city" they will hire probably hire illegal aliens to hang it. :eusa_eh:

Every large bridge in the world has this problem. They don't advertise it because it "encourages" more (honestly). One of the few issues where the media has behaved somewhat responsibly. I say somewhat because now and then they just can't resist the drama and publish something that triggers another wave that makes them back off, at least for the time it takes for their memories to fade which is not long enough.
We have about one a every other week in Tampa Bay and I did a study on the subject years ago. The problem they are going to have is not just the initial cost of the net but maintaining it. Their going to find it to be nearly impossible between the elements, birds, debris, etc. to keep them in good repair and the costs to maintain them will be high. They also haven't considered what is going to happen when the nets don't work or they cause a death, such as entanglement? Can they be held responsible? Of course they can and they will.
My bet is that they either it won't get built or if it does it'll be taken down shortly afterward.

Bobby

:lol: You are so going to hell for that remark, Bobby.

If you get there first, save me a window seat, okay?

40 to 50 million for a NET? It'll just end up sitting there til it rots. Those that want to kill themselves will find another way to do it. If teenagers end up using it for kicks, we've just given them a 50 million dollar playground. Either way, it's a useless waste of money.

Bobby

I saw this last night and I think it is ridiculous. If people want to jump, they're going to jump from one place or another. Save your millions for a better use!

i wonder how much the body recovery from the bay costs the city of sf a year? I wonder how much the bridge being shut down or if it is shut down after someone jumps?
anyone from sf with a view on this? people jump off all kinds of structures, its a hard thing to stop.

i wonder how much the body recovery from the bay costs the city of sf a year? I wonder how much the bridge being shut down or if it is shut down after someone jumps?
anyone from sf with a view on this? people jump off all kinds of structures, its a hard thing to stop.

Good questions. Maybe they did a cost/benefit analysis and decided it was worth it. On the face of it, it seemed ridiculous to me, cuz if someone wants to commit suicide they will find a way, but if you think of it actually deterring them from doing it there and choosing to do it elsewhere, not at the expense of the city, then maybe the city will actually save money that way...hmmm

i would think it would be metal netting...but the salt water would wear on it after a few decades..now if you take the cost of body recovery over that many decades etc.
why shouldnt it be looked at from an economic standpoint for the taxpayers?

Forum List

Back