Golden Gate Bridge suicide net

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobbymcgill, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bobbymcgill

bobbymcgill Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The committee overseeing San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge voted this week to install a suicide net to prevent the nearly 30 people a year who take their lives there.

With the high cost of installing the net, ($40 -$50 million )why not just give the money to the suicidal, thus reducing their reasons for wanting to kill themselves? :)

But seriously, who wants to start a pool as to when the first person hangs them self from the net?

Bobby
    Idle Wordship-The World We View

2. plt42

plt42 A Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in ages. If people want to kill themselves, they'll find a way. Like a net is going to stop them.

Arnold needs to take that money and deduct it from federal funds he's asking for to run the state.

3. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    :eusa_hand: This really doesn't surprise me. Since San Francisco is a "safe city" they will hire probably hire illegal aliens to hang it. :eusa_eh:

4. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Every large bridge in the world has this problem. They don't advertise it because it "encourages" more (honestly). One of the few issues where the media has behaved somewhat responsibly. I say somewhat because now and then they just can't resist the drama and publish something that triggers another wave that makes them back off, at least for the time it takes for their memories to fade which is not long enough.
    We have about one a every other week in Tampa Bay and I did a study on the subject years ago. The problem they are going to have is not just the initial cost of the net but maintaining it. Their going to find it to be nearly impossible between the elements, birds, debris, etc. to keep them in good repair and the costs to maintain them will be high. They also haven't considered what is going to happen when the nets don't work or they cause a death, such as entanglement? Can they be held responsible? Of course they can and they will.
    My bet is that they either it won't get built or if it does it'll be taken down shortly afterward.

5. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    It may be your bridge, but it's their life.

Get over it. Do gooders piss off.

6. jla1178

jla1178 Rank Stranger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What'll happen is teenagers will use it for fun, it'll fall into disrepair and be forgotten.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    :lol: You are so going to hell for that remark, Bobby.

If you get there first, save me a window seat, okay?

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    40 to 50 million for a NET? It'll just end up sitting there til it rots. Those that want to kill themselves will find another way to do it. If teenagers end up using it for kicks, we've just given them a 50 million dollar playground. Either way, it's a useless waste of money.

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
  10. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    I saw this last night and I think it is ridiculous. If people want to jump, they're going to jump from one place or another. Save your millions for a better use!