Godfather’s pizza doesn’t cut it

it's not in politics. I put it in general. It's not a reflection on Herman Cain. He left godfathers pizza 14 years ago. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Indeed: Its a reflection of Godfather's Pizza

Why there's a Forum:

Food & Wine - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I wonder what kind of pizza Obama would make?..........:eusa_hand:

Frankly, I doubt its one of his skills...unless the directions were on a teleprompter....then maybe he'd be able.

“In just 14 months, Herman returned Godfather’s to profitability and led his management team to a buyout of the company.”

That's the most important thing to take away from this article.

Is it? He didn't increase market share..he used cheaper ingredients, according to the article.

Is that the way to build a prosperous company?
Wait.....

He really asked that?

???????????

Thousands of companies across the nation are prosperous because they find ways to cut costs, and often that includes sourcing ingredients from companies that can provide the same quality cheaper. Color me shocked! Basic economics are apparently outside the OP's intellectual pay grade.

Is Godfather’s Pizza any good?

That’s the saucy question POLITICO asked a panel of political and culinary experts to chew over now that the company’s former CEO, Herman Cain, is rising in political polls.

Joining us for the great taste test were: Republican strategist Doug Heye (who writes about restaurants for Capitol File magazine); Democratic commentator Karen Finney; and D.C. foodie Nycci Nellis, who runs the website TheListAreYouOnIt.com.

In the blind competition (panelists didn’t know which pizzas they were eating and commenting about until after the contest was over), each participant sampled plain cheese slices from Pizza Hut, zpizza, Ledo Pizza, Papa John’s and, of course, Godfather’s Pizza (the closest one to Washington, for interested parties, can be found two hours away, deep in the heart of Virginia).

Unfortunately for Cain, his former business clearly is not churning out quality pies — the panel unanimously voted Godfather’s Pizza the worst slice of the five.

And their comments were enough to leave a bitter taste in the GOP hopeful’s mouth.

“It’s the most unappetizing,” said Nellis after just one bite. “The cheese is really sour! The crust is like a sponge.”

“That is so bad,” said Finney.

“The crust is trying to be thin crust and thick crust, it can’t make up what it is,” said Heye. “Not good.”

Cain took over the struggling pizza chain in 1986 and remained there until 1995 and touts his leadership of the company on the campaign trail. His website reads, “Energized by overcoming the many obstacles of his job at Burger King, Herman took on the biggest challenge of his career. He accepted the call to become the president and CEO of Godfather’s Pizza,” a company that was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. “In just 14 months, Herman returned Godfather’s to profitability and led his management team to a buyout of the company.”

More at the LINK

You're a dishwasher at Denny's and you blow the head cook behind the dumpster at night. Your opinion is meaningless.

I like Godfathers Pizza, they had one right outside of the gate when I was stationed at Offutt Air Force Base, we used to go there for the Pizza Buffet at lunch, they gave good Military discount too.

And he remained there until 1995.

Check the calendar. It is now 2011. A lot can happen in a company in 16 years.

(FWIW, I sampled a near by Godfather's recently. The OP is right. It is a miracle they are still in business.

You guys must have pretty high standards. I think dominoes and Papa Johns are damn good. Never had Godfather's

Dude.

Seriously.

You need to get out more. :lol:

That is NOT good pizza. That's like saying McDonalds makes a good steak.

I gotta say, though; the first thing I wondered was "was it one of his 'good' restaurants?" Because quality varies from franchise to franchise.

“In just 14 months, Herman returned Godfather’s to profitability and led his management team to a buyout of the company.”

That's the most important thing to take away from this article.
And if you can swallow that crap you will swallow anything, even Godfather's crappy pizza.

But try thinking just a little bit, Godfather's became so profitable that Pillsbury dumped it for a loss of more than half of what they paid for it.

Last edited:

That’s the saucy question POLITICO asked a panel of political and culinary experts to chew over now that the company’s former CEO, Herman Cain, is rising in political polls.

Joining us for the great taste test were: Republican strategist Doug Heye (who writes about restaurants for Capitol File magazine); Democratic commentator Karen Finney; and D.C. foodie Nycci Nellis, who runs the website TheListAreYouOnIt.com.

In the blind competition (panelists didn’t know which pizzas they were eating and commenting about until after the contest was over), each participant sampled plain cheese slices from Pizza Hut, zpizza, Ledo Pizza, Papa John’s and, of course, Godfather’s Pizza (the closest one to Washington, for interested parties, can be found two hours away, deep in the heart of Virginia).

Unfortunately for Cain, his former business clearly is not churning out quality pies — the panel unanimously voted Godfather’s Pizza the worst slice of the five.

And their comments were enough to leave a bitter taste in the GOP hopeful’s mouth.

“It’s the most unappetizing,” said Nellis after just one bite. “The cheese is really sour! The crust is like a sponge.”

“The crust is trying to be thin crust and thick crust, it can’t make up what it is,” said Heye. “Not good.”

Cain took over the struggling pizza chain in 1986 and remained there until 1995 and touts his leadership of the company on the campaign trail. His website reads, “Energized by overcoming the many obstacles of his job at Burger King, Herman took on the biggest challenge of his career. He accepted the call to become the president and CEO of Godfather’s Pizza,” a company that was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. “In just 14 months, Herman returned Godfather’s to profitability and led his management team to a buyout of the company.”

More at the LINK

You're a dishwasher at Denny's and you blow the head cook behind the dumpster at night. Your opinion is meaningless.

Always showing how gay you are..tsk tsk.

It was good when it first came out but not any more. Right down there with Dominoes and Poppa Johns. I like to get our pizza from the local Italian restaurant.

Agreed. I joined the Navy in July of 1982, and for a while, every time that I went back home to Great Falls, my Aunt Laurie and my 2 cousins would take me out to Godfather's Pizza, because it used to be my favorite.

Their quality started to go downhill around 1985 and by 1987, their pizza was crap.

Never went to Godfathers after that.

It was good when it first came out but not any more. Right down there with Dominoes and Poppa Johns. I like to get our pizza from the local Italian restaurant.

Agreed. I joined the Navy in July of 1982, and for a while, every time that I went back home to Great Falls, my Aunt Laurie and my 2 cousins would take me out to Godfather's Pizza, because it used to be my favorite.

Their quality started to go downhill around 1985 and by 1987, their pizza was crap.

I think all the main stream pizza places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns are garbage now, I used to love Papa Johns back in 2000 when I was in High School but I hate it now, its trash.

I think all the main stream pizza places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns are garbage now, I used to love Papa Johns back in 2000 when I was in High School but I hate it now, its trash.

Dude. You need to come to New York..and go to a Mom and Pop's pizza shop. Trust me. You will swear off that crap in a New York minute.

More at the LINK

Always showing how gay you are..tsk tsk.
He tries to compensate with his year-long Halloween Harley-Davidson costume. :lol:

Cain took a large pizza change on life support weeks away from bankruptcy and in 14 months, through his guidance, they were back in the black and never looked back. Under his leadership (like Burger King in PA), he made the chain highly profitable. And he was able to have this success even with an inferior product!!!! This is even amazing proof of how capable he is. The guy is an economic genius!

If Cain was on Top Chef or running for lead chef at a restaurant then this would be a damaging story. However, he is running for President of the largest economy in the world. Running a large business profitably, even with an inferior products, is credentials for the job! Much more than a failed community organizer!

I've never tried it but I have tried Domino's and Pizza Hut. Those are horrible. New York makes great pizza. Better, in some ways, then Italy. Two places in my neighborhood with world class pizza..

Paulie Gee's - A Greenpoint Pizza Joint (347) 987-3747
Forcella - Williamsburg - North Side - Brooklyn, NY
The New York pizza debate begins and ends with the L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th in Bensonhurst.

As for Godfather Pizza, I was half way through the lid of the box before someone suggested I try a slice. Couldn't tell the difference.

I remember Shakey's Pizza....sorta "Goth meets Pepperoni."

And I worked at a Chucky Cheese....always had to measure out the ingredients, but I said FUCK THIS and would put however much I damn well wanted to put on the pie.

I've never tried it but I have tried Domino's and Pizza Hut. Those are horrible. New York makes great pizza. Better, in some ways, then Italy. Two places in my neighborhood with world class pizza..

Paulie Gee's - A Greenpoint Pizza Joint (347) 987-3747
Forcella - Williamsburg - North Side - Brooklyn, NY
The New York pizza debate begins and ends with the L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th in Bensonhurst.

As for Godfather Pizza, I was half way through the lid of the box before someone suggested I try a slice. Couldn't tell the difference.

Been there. The two places I listed hold up against it. Try it. You'll like it. And yeah..cardboard is better then most commercial pizzas.

Cain took a large pizza change on life support weeks away from bankruptcy and in 14 months, through his guidance, they were back in the black and never looked back. Under his leadership (like Burger King in PA), he made the chain highly profitable. And he was able to have this success even with an inferior product!!!! This is even amazing proof of how capable he is. The guy is an economic genius!

If Cain was on Top Chef or running for lead chef at a restaurant then this would be a damaging story. However, he is running for President of the largest economy in the world. Running a large business profitably, even with an inferior products, is credentials for the job! Much more than a failed community organizer!

Never looked back? Yes, they have looked back. He got them profitable by cutting quality. Then people started to notice. Now they are closing restaurants all over the place, and there are only a handful of them left.

Typical Republican. You would love the ship all of our jobs over to China, so they can send back their inferior products.

Idiot.

I hate it for a different reason. Papa John's was in Minneapolis, until Papa John's sued him, despite the fact that our Papa John's had the name first.

Our place has better pizza by a very long shot.

Welcome | Johns Pizza Cafe, Saint Paul Pizza, Pizza in St Paul

Forum List

Back