God Wants Me to Be Rich

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by midcan5, Jul 27, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    I am amazed today in the way culture has turned inward to the self. I think some of it has to do with the way children have been raised in an affluent society. All things become about them. When I talk to conservative (I hardly see any leftist kids today) college kids who were born with a silver spoon, there is no sense in which things could be different. There is also the sense in which if the other has nothing it is 'their' fault. I am wondering when America turned away from its religious values to self centeredness? This piece is just one more example.

by Karl Taro Greenfeld, Portfolio

"Joel Osteen preaches the virtues of prosperity -- for himself as well as his congregation. A look at the man who may well be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the slumping economy."

God Wants Me to Be Rich - WalletPop

Does God really want you to be rich?

>

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Are you familiar with the Puritan concept of "the Elect"?

That smug religious rationalization for "Them what has gets more, and them what hain't, won't" has never left this nation's collective consciousness.

Hell, you can still hear that "elect" philosophy resonating in the jaundiced musings of this board's libertarians and (mostly) angry White Boys who like to imagine that "I made it all on my own without no help from nobody"

What I am suggesting is that American never turned away from its religious core values, because our most cheished religious core value is basically THE apology for exploitive capitalism, and power and control oppression by economic means.

The question really is,

Will America ever turn toward its oft stated in noble words, but seldom manifested in noble actions, core primative Christian values of faith hope and charity?

My answer the above is this...

No, it won't.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  3. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Visualize me rich.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

Okay.

I'm visualizing you as lobster thermador.

Yum! You look delicious.

5. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    An interesting point and one I was aware of. I was raised Catholic when everyone else was pretty much a heathen. (When I see Scalia, Alito, or Roberts I fear for justice.) Jewish people suffer that same grandiose presumption. But in spite of that the key cardinal sins are Gluttony, Greed, and Pride and we were reminded often that these were serious sins. While I don't have that faith today, it seems religion has moved from these beliefs as even the other sects preached similarly. Consider if we exist for 60 or 80 years, and that is if we are lucky, then life here is a mere moment compared to infinity. So my question would still be why is so much required for this short trip? And what happened to religious values?

6. Voltaire

Voltaire Libertarian Party

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm thankful that my parents never took me to church, although I guess since my dad's side was Catholic and my mom's was Baptist, it was a lost cause from the start :lol:.

On the other side of the coin from the Puritans though, consider how many influential people in the colonies considered themselves to be Deistic Christians. I think that is the saddest thing, is that modern Americans tend to see a fundamental divide between religion and the exercise of reason. Modern Christianity seems to draw a lot more from folks like Jonathan Edwards, who saw God as an angry being holding us above the Fire, and furthermore, "God has laid himself under no obligation by any promise to keep any natural man out of hell one moment."

Note that my views are probably a little skewed, because the majority of my experience with religion comes from an ethnographic study I once did on a Pentecostal Church.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    Osteen is a con man.

8. chapstic

chapstic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I lost all religious value when science disproved it.

No wait, god waved his hand then I appeared!

I lied.

9. Eightball

Eightball Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Are you referring to Calvinism.......when mentioning "elect"?

10. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    You do realize that you are contradicting your own position = If he is a con then all those people are being conned?