Gluten free and hating it!

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
Anyone else here have celiacs or other food allergies that have ruined your appreciation of food and tainted your family/social relationships?

Anyone else here have celiacs or other food allergies that have ruined your appreciation of food and tainted your family/social relationships?

No none of us have Celiacs, Gluten intolereances, or allergies to anything you Millennials think is hip now. We also don't think Kale is a food group and paying $10 for a taco from a food truck is stupid.

No none of us have Celiacs, Gluten intolereances, or allergies to anything you Millennials think is hip now. We also don't think Kale is a food group and paying $10 for a taco from a food truck is stupid.
Right its all made up, dude.

Hey mary, look up cauliflower pizza.

Also - it tastes nothing like cauliflower.....fyi

Why would it taint a family relationship? It isn't just gluten, lots of people are taking pot shots at the same big target. Out bodies weren't designed for processed foods or even grains. That's a relatively new addition to man's diet. Most of us can tolerate them but overuse will cause problems.

• Banned
Anyone else here have celiacs or other food allergies that have ruiActualyned your appreciation of food and tainted your family/social relationships?

Actually, I am a boomer well into the golden years. I was diagnosed 4 years ago, and gluten really is a toxin. Just like sugar to a diabetic. Not life threatening, but it ruins your enjoyment of food.

• Banned
Why would it taint a family relationship? It isn't just gluten, lots of people are taking pot shots at the same big target. Out bodies weren't designed for processed foods or even grains. That's a relatively new addition to man's diet. Most of us can tolerate them but overuse will cause problems.
Thanksgiving dinners with family, for instance, were a relative takes hours cooking only to have me pick through it, and it bothers them, like some posters here think this is a made up fraud. I understand that, I can't eat grandma's old recipes loaded with wheat gluten as a binding agent. Pastas, Bread, you name it. Cereals.Anything involving wheat gluten protein. A lot of you people have unexplained stomach problems that I think point to gluten sensitivity, and should have it looked into. It is real as death.

Right its all made up, dude.

Hey mary, look up cauliflower pizza.

Also - it tastes nothing like cauliflower.....fyi
No one said it was made up you Millennial idiot.

Thanksgiving dinners with family, for instance, were a relative takes hours cooking only to have me pick through it, and it bothers them, like some posters here think this is a made up fraud. I understand that, I can't eat grandma's old recipes loaded with wheat gluten as a binding agent. Pastas, Bread, you name it. Cereals.Anything involving wheat gluten protein. A lot of you people have unexplained stomach problems that I think point to gluten sensitivity, and should have it looked into. It is real as death.
I agree. If someone takes my eating choices personally that's their problem, not mine. But then again, I moved away from my dysfunctional family. Way away.

dietary restrictions can be hard on everyone....you just have to go with the flow and be sure not to make your diet the center of it...gluten free is hard and i know how people are expecting you to eat their cooking....do what i do...take a small bit and push it about on the plate....people think your are eating...i hate to say this but ani have great advice on how to fool those into thinking you are eating ....

dietary restrictions can be hard on everyone....you just have to go with the flow and be sure not to make your diet the center of it...gluten free is hard and i know how people are expecting you to eat their cooking....do what i do...take a small bit and push it about on the plate....people think your are eating...i hate to say this but ani have great advice on how to fool those into thinking you are eating ....
I don't get it. Let them shorten their lifespans by getting worked up over it. It's YOUR body. No need to be rude but I'd explain I don't eat xyz. I don't understand why so many people take EVERYTHING personally.

ahh people are feeders by nature...they want to feed ya....it really is a sign of love...but for those with restrictions it can be emotionally overwhelming....like when you are traveling and everyone is hungry and grumpy but you cant stop at burger king....etc and so forth...compromising your health is never the answer

I agree. If someone takes my eating choices personally that's their problem, not mine. But then again, I moved away from my dysfunctional family. Way away.
Actually, last christmas family dinner my nephew created a master chef's deligjhtc
The best meal I have had in recent years was a gluten free London broil with all the fixings last Christmas 2014. With the family, it makes me sad they had to cater to one person, But they did in good cheer and in the spirit of the season.

Got no end of grief during my vegan diet phases from family. Shopping took longer reading labels, socializing dinners were pretty much out, etc. Expect much the same is going to be going on with gluten-free people now. Tried making GF muffins recently. The difference in texture and appearence assured I'll never try those again.

Either the human animal is breaking down all at once (unlikely) or the gluten thing is a made up thing. One year "fat" was the bad thing. Later it became "saturated fat" is bad, "omega fats are good." What's healthy or not changes. What never changes though is what's healthy for one will kill another. So figure out whatever you personally can handle and thrive on and eat it. But don't try and convince everyone your specific body and system's functioning is normal. It isn't. It's highly specific. Longevity is the result of our genes, not our diets.

Got no end of grief during my vegan diet phases from family. Shopping took longer reading labels, socializing dinners were pretty much out, etc. Expect much the same is going to be going on with gluten-free people now. Tried making GF muffins recently. The difference in texture and appearence assured I'll never try those again.

Either the human animal is breaking down all at once (unlikely) or the gluten thing is a made up thing. One year "fat" was the bad thing. Later it became "saturated fat" is bad, "omega fats are good." What's healthy or not changes. What never changes though is what's healthy for one will kill another. So figure out whatever you personally can handle and thrive on and eat it. But don't try and convince everyone your specific body and system's functioning is normal. It isn't. It's highly specific. Longevity is the result of our genes, not our diets.

Well, I don't think it necessarily has to be an either or kind of thing either. I can be a combination of factors too. :) I think what you eat can definitely contribute to your health. We do need to get some essential minerals and vitamins in our diets. If you are not very healthy, chances are you aren't going to live a very long life. The littlest of things might become a huge issue for you.

Add dairy products to that short list along with modern grains.

I've been following a "modified" Paleo regimen. That allows me some dairy, I love cheese, and "ancient" grains, like spelt and amaranth. Paleo leaves out all those heavy, gluten-loaded carbs and you get lots of lean meat and veggies. Helps me keep the weight I've lost.

My aunt says she is allergic to eggs. I can see where some food allergies could lead to problems when it comes to any kind of socializing that has to do with eating. Eggs are in a LOT of different things. Lucky for me, I've never been allergic to anything, and I am grateful for that!

Add dairy products to that short list along with modern grains.
Well, I'm not giving up my cheese or half and half. I don't drink milk though and am not convinced it's something humans need past infancy.

Forum List

Back