Glenn Beck smears Obama's 11-year-old daughter

Glenn Beck smears Obama's 11-year-old daughter | Media Matters for America

Glenn Beck, who repeatedly and angrily tells his alleged persecutors to "leave the families alone," spent a good chunk of his radio program this morning mocking and attacking the intelligence of President Obama's 11-year-old daughter, Malia.

Obama remarked yesterday during his press conference that Malia asked him of the Gulf oil spill: "Did you Plug The Hole Yet, Daddy?" Beck, taking off on this, mockingly affected Malia's voice, asking "Daddy" why he "hates black people so much." Then Beck attacked Malia's intelligence, saying: "That's the level of their education, that they're coming to - they're coming to daddy and saying 'Daddy, did you plug the hole yet?' "

This routine continued for several minutes, as Beck and his co-hosts touched on a variety of topics and laughed the entire time, all of it at the expense of an 11-year-old girl.

Video after the jump. Glenn Beck reaches a new low.

I would gladly pay a fine and serve time, if I had the opportunity to have a face to face with Beck. One slap. One small slap in the face. Not a punch. Not anything scaring or damaging, except to his frail ego. One slap in the face.

I'd consider it a civil protest for the betterment of society as a whole.

:cool:

You're a lot better man than me Dante. I'd end up goading the fucker into hitting me and then I'd put him in the hospital with several broken bones.

Shit, if I work it right, I'd be able to shatter his pelvis. THAT would be FUN!

Who in their right mind picks on an 11 year old to make political points?

Who in their right mind tells the media that his daughter asked about when he's gonna plug the hole? The swipe is at Obama, not his kid. But.... Obama should keep his kids out of politics.

So I am president, and mini echo is worried about the oil spill, and the effects it's having on the environment. She asks me a question, asking me when they are going to fix it, or plug the hole. I shouldn't share that with the world? Because some right wing nut will then make fun of her?

No, you shouldnt make her look stupid in public so you have a political narrative and anyone who is paying attention has every right to call you on it.

Attacking Obama for his use of his daughter, isn't attacking his daughter.

Attacking Obama's Children=Good

Attacking Palin's Children=Bad

Just trying to keep track here.

Are you suggesting that Letterman's joke about Sarah Palin's daughter being raped, is morally equivalent to this?

Yes, clearly they are suggesting that Letterman's joke about Palin's daughter being raped is morrally equivalent to cricitizing Obama for portraying his daughter as an idiot.

I have children and have plenty of empathy.

Unlike you and Obama, I don't use kids as a pawn in politics. Beck in no way criticized Obama's daughter.

Sorry Allie, getting drunk and boning the football team to validate yourself by having kids doesn't qualify as empathy.

You know, of course, that it's against the rules to bring up family...right?

You your children into the conversation. They can be mentioned.

Nice.......syrenn doesn't think that the President should mention their family is concerned about the spill as well.

I've got no problem with him mentioning his family. However, like Glenn, i think it's ridiculous that Obama made up such a ridiculous question for narrative and made his daughter look silly to make a political point.

Glenn Beck, who repeatedly and angrily tells his alleged persecutors to "leave the families alone," spent a good chunk of his radio program this morning mocking and attacking the intelligence of President Obama's 11-year-old daughter, Malia.

Obama remarked yesterday during his press conference that Malia asked him of the Gulf oil spill: "Did you Plug The Hole Yet, Daddy?" Beck, taking off on this, mockingly affected Malia's voice, asking "Daddy" why he "hates black people so much." Then Beck attacked Malia's intelligence, saying: "That's the level of their education, that they're coming to - they're coming to daddy and saying 'Daddy, did you plug the hole yet?' "

This routine continued for several minutes, as Beck and his co-hosts touched on a variety of topics and laughed the entire time, all of it at the expense of an 11-year-old girl.

well
if a liberal or democrat had done this to a republican I would have been outraged!

and it would have been more evidence of just how vile and loathsome ALL liberals and democrats are....

but
since it was glenn beck
who was obviously just having some fun
then I say.....lighten up you god hating America hating liberal scum!

these things are only bad when a liberal or democrat do them....

What are you talking about? :cuckoo:

obama USED his daughter to make a statement about the oil spill. If the man doesn't want his daughters put out there as fair game, no matter their ages, then the man best not be throwing them under the bus.

I feel sorry for the girl. It wasn't fair of her father to use her like that.

If you're going to use that argument, then the same would apply to Palin - she used her children to campaign, and used her daughters pregnancy to bolster her pro-life position.

Children may be "used" by their parents, but that doesnt' give anyone the right to attack them - whether it's Chelsea Clinton, Bristol or Trig Palin, or Malia Obama. They did not have a choice in the matter.

It's interesting to see the partisanship and double standards showing up when it comes to attacking children.

No one attacked her.

Quite the opposite. The President was criticized for poorly characterizing his daugther in his speech in an effort to humanize his lack of action in the oil spill.

Do you honesty believe that his daughters asked him that the way he said it? He made it sound like they were 5. They are preteen/teenagers. Preteens and teenagers don't talk like that.

But rather than actually look at what was said, you guys want to pretend this is some attack on a little girl so you can feign outrage and justify you're own attacks on others and pretend that you are justified in dismissing Beck's message.

Beck doesn't think that the President's daughters are as dumb as the President portrayed them and somehow he is attacking them? Good Grief people!

No syrenn, you're using a bullshit issue to advance hatred of Obama.

Try again ya goth stripper, your bullshit is wearing thin, that's why people can see through it.

How does making commentary that someone doesn't believe that Obama's children are as dumb as he portrays them advancing hatred to Obama?

Seems to be the only hatred here is towards Beck.

::
Attacking Obama's Children=Good

Attacking Palin's Children=Bad

Just trying to keep track here.

Are you suggesting that Letterman's joke about Sarah Palin's daughter being raped, is morally equivalent to this?

Yes, clearly they are suggesting that Letterman's joke about Palin's daughter being raped is morrally equivalent to cricitizing Obama for portraying his daughter as an idiot.

Zandar and Avatar, go find ONE POST of mine where I defended Letterman for his 'joke'

I'll be around here all summer, let me know when you find it.

Glenn Beck Malia | Plug the Hole | Obama Daughter | Mediaite

For years there’s been debate over whether or not mocking a politician’s family (particularly their children) is fair game. For the most part, political opponents and comedians have kept their swipes at the Chelsea Clintons and the Bush Twins of the world to a minimum. This morning though, Glenn Beck clearly stepped over the line when he began insulting and denigrating 11-year old Malia Obama.

Media Matters reported that Beck spent more than four minutes making fun of the now-infamous “Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy?” quote from Obama’s press conference. While most of Beck’s jokes were aimed at the president himself, one line in particular moved the sights to the young girl:

“That’s the level of their education, that they’re coming to – they’re coming to daddy and saying ‘Daddy, did you plug the hole yet?’”

Let’s look at the distinction. While the rest of the segment mocked Obama (Who certainly deserved it. Using your kids as a political ploy is trashy when Palin uses it and it’s definitely trashy when the president does) with lines like “Daddy, I know you didn’t plug the hole yet but did John Podesta? ‘Cause he’s the guy with the real power, daddy. Mommy told me,” the education line is making fun of the Obama daughters specifically. Considering how gung ho Beck’s been recently about protecting politician’s home life, you’d think he’d know better.

Besides, the entire segment is about as obnoxious and unfunny as a skit on a rap album.

UPDATE: A few hours later, Beck has responded to the criticism of his joke and apologized.

- Merged, Modbert.

Zandar and Avatar, go find ONE POST of mine where I defended Letterman for his 'joke'

That would be rather pointless because no one ever said you or anyone else defended it.

That isn't what moral equivalance is about. Words mean something.

That would be rather pointless because no one ever said you or anyone else defended it.

Yes, my morals are the KIDS ARE OFF LIMITS!

No matter WHO you are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qga5eONXU_4]YouTube - Alice Cooper-Schools out[/ame]

He was out of line, he apologized, controversy over.

Well it should be, but I think it's highly unlikely that we have heard the last of it...

Last edited:

I would gladly pay a fine and serve time, if I had the opportunity to have a face to face with Beck. One slap. One small slap in the face. Not a punch. Not anything scaring or damaging, except to his frail ego. One slap in the face.

I'd consider it a civil protest for the betterment of society as a whole.

:cool:

You're a lot better man than me Dante. I'd end up goading the fucker into hitting me and then I'd put him in the hospital with several broken bones.

Shit, if I work it right, I'd be able to shatter his pelvis. THAT would be FUN!

I came very close to slapping a Boston radio guy named Howie Carr. I spooked him with a routine I pulled that had him very leery of my presence. That allowed my revulsion of his hate and bull crap to settle for knowing the guy really is the cowardly bully of a pussy I thought he was.

I think people like Beck are cowards. Only an asshole coward (or a dry drunkard) publicly mocks the children of people they disagree with politically.

Well it should be, but I think highly unlikely that we have heard the last of it...

So he did. Just off the wire a hour ago.

Glenn Beck Apology | Plug the hole | Beck Malia | Mediaite

In discussing how President Obama uses children to shield himself from criticism, I broke my own rule about leaving kids out of political debates. The children of public figures should be left on the sidelines. It was a stupid mistake and I apologize–and as a dad I should have known better.”

Good on Beck for stepping up and admitting he was wrong.

Yes, my morals are the KIDS ARE OFF LIMITS!

No matter WHO you are.

I agree kids are offlimits.

But Glenn wasnt attacking Obama's daughter. He was criticizing her father for portraying her so poorly for political reasons.

This isn't difficult to understand, I know it's an emotional topic, but you have to look at what is actually happening and not condemn people based on emotion.

The evidence we have clearly shows Glenn criticizing the President for protraying his daughter poorly. Glenn, in fact, mentions skepticism that Obama actually expects us to believe this. Because no preteen or teenager would speak that way.

But that doesn't really matter does it? Glenn Beck should be lynched just because he doesn't like Obama.

How many times do I gotta say it....leave the kids alone.

Well it should be, but I think it's highly unlikely that we have heard the last of it...

Kudos for him apologizing, but he didn't attack her.

Though clearly it was far closer to the line than most people have ability to distinguish.

Kudos for him apologizing, but he didn't attack her.

Though clearly it was far closer to the line than most people have ability to distinguish.

Yes he did, did you miss the education swipe?

From the article about the apology:

I stand by my initial analysis that most of Beck’s comments were totally fine as they were only mocking the president and that it was just the “education level” swipe about Obama’s daughters that was offensive. I appreciate that Beck was able to see that and responded as quickly as he did

Forum List

Back