Giving Up on the Dems

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Going it alone: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040928/ts_alt_afp/us_vote_soros

Billionaire George Soros intensifies his anti-Bush campaign

Tue Sep 28, 2:45 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Billionaire financier George Soros announced that he was traveling to dozens of US cities and will be mailing two million brochures to voters, trying to convince them to vote against the re-election of President George W. Bush (news - web sites).

Five weeks ahead of the November 2 US presidential vote, Soros, a Hungarian born US citizen, also announced he was launching an website (www.GeorgeSoros.com) where he promises to answer questions by undecided voters.

He said he was running two-page ads in several US newspapers on Wednesday.

"I am eager to reach Republicans who might vote for Bush out of party loyalty," Soros said at a Washington press conference. "I also intend to reach out to the business community, especially among the traditional conservatives."

According to Soros there are many Republicans "who are quite distressed about the policies of this administration."

Soros said he was willing to spend "between 2 and 3 million (dollars) on this campaign," adding that if he increases the amount he will announce it later.

Republican House of Representative speaker Dennis Hastert recently suggested in a television interview that Soros may be making his billions off illegal-drug related activities. Soros wrote to Hastert demanding an apology.

"There is no way to avoid a smear campaign," said Soros. "It's in full swing. All I can do is get my message out and try to have people listen," he said.

Copyright © 2004 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Agence France Presse.

Copyright 2004 © Yahoo! Inc.

Forum List

Back