Getting healthy when you're really stressed

lizzie

Zen Warrior
Jul 23, 2010
Tx
I haven't posted here in awhile, because I've been emotionally and physically distraught following the loss of my husband almost 5 months ago. Emotional stress takes its toll on a person physically as well. About a month after the loss, I started having some odd symptoms, indicating a major malfunction of some type (numbness and tingling in my legs), and it had been quite some time since I had been to a doctor, because I'm usually relatively fit for my age. My doc ran every lab known to mankind, and the only abnormal was that my vitamin D was low. Apparently, that is quite common in our society, as most of us don't get the sun we need, and if we do go outside often, many of us use sunscreen, which prevents production of vitamin D in the body. I started taking a high dose D supplement, and lying in the sun several times a week, for about 20 minutes at a time. I'm feeling much better these days, both physically and mentally. I was shocked at all the effects that vit D deficiency can cause, some of the effects being mood-related.

Another issue I had was frequent stomach/GI pain and indigestion, and I've never before had that issue either. I started reading around, and read that cabbage juice is supposed to be great for your GI tract, so I bought a juicer, and started juicing cabbage, and I drink about 3 oz twice daily. I've been doing this for about three weeks now, and no more GI upset so far.

Also started taking yoga classes, and my classes are an hour long, three times weekly, plus a weekly tai chi class (which I personally find quite boring, lol). I think this is helping my emotional wellbeing also, in addition to toning me up. A couple of weeks ago, I was getting dressed one morning, and I noticed my belly muscles are tighter than they have been in awhile.

Anyway, for anyone who "knows" me here, this is why I've been gone, and I just wanted to post about stress and health, and some things I'm trying that seem to be working. :)

I haven't posted here in awhile, because I've been emotionally and physically distraught following the loss of my husband almost 5 months ago. Emotional stress takes its toll on a person physically as well. About a month after the loss, I started having some odd symptoms, indicating a major malfunction of some type (numbness and tingling in my legs), and it had been quite some time since I had been to a doctor, because I'm usually relatively fit for my age. My doc ran every lab known to mankind, and the only abnormal was that my vitamin D was low. Apparently, that is quite common in our society, as most of us don't get the sun we need, and if we do go outside often, many of us use sunscreen, which prevents production of vitamin D in the body. I started taking a high dose D supplement, and lying in the sun several times a week, for about 20 minutes at a time. I'm feeling much better these days, both physically and mentally. I was shocked at all the effects that vit D deficiency can cause, some of the effects being mood-related.

Another issue I had was frequent stomach/GI pain and indigestion, and I've never before had that issue either. I started reading around, and read that cabbage juice is supposed to be great for your GI tract, so I bought a juicer, and started juicing cabbage, and I drink about 3 oz twice daily. I've been doing this for about three weeks now, and no more GI upset so far.

Also started taking yoga classes, and my classes are an hour long, three times weekly, plus a weekly tai chi class (which I personally find quite boring, lol). I think this is helping my emotional wellbeing also, in addition to toning me up. A couple of weeks ago, I was getting dressed one morning, and I noticed my belly muscles are tighter than they have been in awhile.

Anyway, for anyone who "knows" me here, this is why I've been gone, and I just wanted to post about stress and health, and some things I'm trying that seem to be working. :)

You are 100% correct on all of the above, and it is good you are working on your life.

First, I am sad for your loss. My wife passed more than twenty years ago, and although I very happily married now, I still think of her daily and sometimes have my moments.

What works for me is following the DEWSS daily: the correct portions of diet, exercise, weight, stress, and sleep. My wife does the same, and when my dad and two sisters and the oldest daughter passed, all in the last four years, we were able to handle the awful weight of it all.

Good to have you back. Hope we all can be supportive and helpful. This is about you and how you handle it.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, Lizzy. That's a terrible thing to go through.

Stress can be very bad for your health - especially the kind that is unalleviated and caused by things you feel you can't do anything about. Stress can increase the levels of cortisol in your body and cortisol not too good of a thing to have long term high levels of.

The yoga is a great stress reliever and I was happy to see you say you enjoy it. I've done Tai Chi for a very long time and I enjoy that more than anything - but either would work well as a stress buster. Would you mind if I mentioned a few other easy and inexpensive things you can do along side of yoga? Massage would be one - it is hard to explain the benefit - easier to tell you to go at least 4 times over a period of 4 weeks and see if you feel different. Another would be a grief group - I have heard people say it can be very comforting to gather with others going through the same thing.

K.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, Lizzy. That's a terrible thing to go through.

Stress can be very bad for your health - especially the kind that is unalleviated and caused by things you feel you can't do anything about. Stress can increase the levels of cortisol in your body and cortisol not too good of a thing to have long term high levels of.

The yoga is a great stress reliever and I was happy to see you say you enjoy it. I've done Tai Chi for a very long time and I enjoy that more than anything - but either would work well as a stress buster. Would you mind if I mentioned a few other easy and inexpensive things you can do along side of yoga? Massage would be one - it is hard to explain the benefit - easier to tell you to go at least 4 times over a period of 4 weeks and see if you feel different. Another would be a grief group - I have heard people say it can be very comforting to gather with others going through the same thing.

K.

I do love the yoga- I find it to be good for my head, and it helps center me. The tai chi is okay- I just find it boring, as I am a dancer from way back in my youth, and the tai is too slow, and the rhythm seems off to me. As for massage, I've considered that, but my local area seems to have a shortage of massage therapists available. Yeah, the cortisol- been there done that. Fortunately, it seems to be in balance right now. I'm sleeping well now, after spending a couple of months not being able to.

The nearest grief support group is almost an hour's drive away, but I'm a part of an online grief support group, with a chatroom which has a small group of regulars, which I have come to know pretty well, and it has been very helpful. I've also got quite a collection of books on the subject, and a couple of them have been particularly helpful. Much of this will just take time, and I realize that, but taking care of a couple of physical issues was critical (imo) in helping with the process.

Good for you, Lizzie!

It sounds like you are being very pro-active. My wishes for your well being and peace. :)

K.

Lizzie, I am personally very happy you are back here with us.

So very sorry for your loss but encouraged and proud that you are being proactive in taking control of the healing process and learning so much about the different ways of recovering from the trauma you have experienced. Most physicians agree that 80% of illness is stress related. Some say 90%.

I live in the Pacific Northwest ( PNW ) and because of the limited exposure to sunshine, have taken vitamin D....1000mg., a day since moving here 13 years ago, and lab tests reveal it is working. Diet and exercise and stress reduction all combined, do make for a healthier and happier life.

Congratulations on your many efforts to help yourself. "Your destiny is ultimately a matter of choice, not chance." (((L)))

Would you mind if I mentioned a few other easy and inexpensive things you can do along side of yoga? Massage would be one - it is hard to explain the benefit - easier to tell you to go at least 4 times over a period of 4 weeks and see if you feel different.
K.

loa, massage is very beneficial to the mind and body, you are right. If performed properly, massage speeds the blood circulation 3 times faster, than a sedentary lifestyle. The only other thing that can do that, is aerobic exercise. Blood carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain and zaps the entire body with all things good for it. Blood rushes toxins and other unhealthful things in the body, that have just been sitting there for a long time usually, out through the lymphatic system and with urination.

A good massage is not only healthful for the mind and body, it makes you feel like a mellow relaxed human-being for 2 or more days. Regular massage, can make a positive difference in a person's well-being.

Aqua Athena said:
A good massage is not only healthful for the mind and body, it makes you feel like a mellow relaxed human-being for 2 or more days. Regular massage, can make a positive difference in a person's well-being.

I couldn't agree more! Not to brush aside all of the physiological effects of massage, but one thing that has ALWAYS fascinated me is the power of touch - what it can do for anyone!

I don't have to be sold on the idea at all!

K.

Forum List

Back