Get Out of Our Way or Pave the Way?

What's your war cry?

• Get out of our way, government!

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Pave the way, government!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something in between or none of the above.

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
i dont think this poll is too out of synch with the US electorate. there's voices of moderation juxtaposed to voices of conservative idealism.

i dont think this poll is too out of synch with the US electorate. there's voices of moderation juxtaposed to voices of conservative idealism.

I was reading Frank Rich (NYT) this morning. His latest says that he doesn't think anybody wants to cut the budget much at all. A lot of folks say so in general terms but when polled or prodded for specifics they can't name much they want to cut. Politicians and electorate included.

My expectation is that if cuts were actually legislated Americans would respond a lot like the Greeks and French are responding to austerity measures.

i have more faith in my compatriots than to get as embarrassing as the french. this observation on actually making the cuts harkens back to mine about realpolitik pragmatism vs campaign idealism. i'm left with the impression that rand paul is either an idiot or a shameless panderer because of that. it may suffice for his supporters that he keep cheerleading throughout the whole session, but i doubt anything effectual will come from such a guy, save for no-votes.

Government is useful for big projects which companies can not afford or will not afford.

Want a transcontinental railroad? Not for 50 years w/o the power of big government.

Want all that Homestead Act stuff? Never w/o the power of big government.

Interstate Highways and their maintenance? Not w/o big government.

Think TWA or Lockheed are going to get you to the moon? Nope.

Next is modern healthcare. The math just doesn't work anylonger.

Now there is plenty of waste. Tax dollars spent on pushing paper takes an American out of the "real" workforce where stuff gets done that betters the country.

Then again a program studying the magnetic properties of paperclips gives money to a doctor of something until he/she does something useful with his life. If you leave that money in the hands of the public they try to redistribute it immediately to China as part of a modern Marshall plan against communism ug.

What a circle.

To wrap up. IMO - For big projects with no immediate payoff you almost certainly will need big government. For everyday stuff you will need government regulations / taxes / loopholes to encourage companies and individuals to work in certain ways. Still doesn't mean the government can't be smart about it though.

Forum List

Back