German is the second most important ethnicity/culture in White America

They did get us to the moon ...

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1978-Anh.024-03%2C_Peenem%C3%BCnde%2C_Dornberger%2C_Olbricht%2C_Brandt%2C_v._Braun.jpg

I'm of Scottish origin. You can thank the Scots for inventing everything but cuisine. Ever seen a Scottish restaurant?

But influence of language, cuisine and overall culture, a tip o' the tam o' shanter goes to the Italians!

Actually I've been in a Scottish restaurant, in Cape Breton.

Other than the cookies it's forgettable. And no I did not try the haggis.

But then it's right next to England. Eating in England means "what you have to do to survive". Either that, or importing somebody's idea from one of your colonies, like curry.

Do you agree after English/British of course? Both ethnically and culturally among White Americans of course.
Why German?

because of large number of people with such ancestry and becaue of cultural influence like beer festivals etc.

20150207_wom911.png
You are probably correct. Much of the modern world we take for granted, was brought into existence by Germany. So really German influence is rather important throughout the developed world, regardless of how many Germanic immigrants/decendents there are in a given country.

Of course a wrinkle here is that "Germany" didn't exist until almost a century after this country did...

i thought we had more Americans of German decent than any other E.U. nationality ....more than even English decent?

It would be extremely difficult to count, since humans mix. Do you count supposedly "pure" German or "pure English" -- and what does that even mean? Even the OP doesn't seem to know the distinctions between English, Scottish and Irish. Or do you count "predominantly" German, English, etc? If you do, do you just ignore the other ingredients? Or do you mix them in as a percentage?

Then there's the additional wrinkle that "English" itself is part Germanic, part Celt, part Nordic and part Frankish. Don't you then have to break down all those if you call yourself "English"? And then you have"Scotch-Irish" [sic], which is also part English, which is in turn.etc etc etc... Then within Irish there's our "Black Irish"....

I don't think most people have a clear idea of their own roots that specifically. I've done extensive genealogy and I couldn't pick definite proportions.

In that gif map I posted the first category that counted was identified as "US Americans", which is clearly not an ethnic group; it indicates that those people (who look to be in the "Scotch-Irish" [sic] region), don't know, don't care, or both. So the entire question is little more than a parlor game.

Do you agree after English/British of course? Both ethnically and culturally among White Americans of course.
Why German?

because of large number of people with such ancestry and becaue of cultural influence like beer festivals etc.

20150207_wom911.png
You are probably correct. Much of the modern world we take for granted, was brought into existence by Germany. So really German influence is rather important throughout the developed world, regardless of how many Germanic immigrants/decendents there are in a given country.

Of course a wrinkle here is that "Germany" didn't exist until almost a century after this country did...
Which constitutes a "wrinkle" how?

Why German?

20150207_wom911.png

Read your second sentence.

Why German?

20150207_wom911.png

Okay... Read it. Still not seeing what you see... Care to elaborate?

i thought we had more Americans of German decent than any other E.U. nationality ....more than even English decent?

It would be extremely difficult to count, since humans mix. Do you count supposedly "pure" German or "pure English" -- and what does that even mean? Even the OP doesn't seem to know the distinctions between English, Scottish and Irish. Or do you count "predominantly" German, English, etc? If you do, do you just ignore the other ingredients? Or do you mix them in as a percentage?

Then there's the additional wrinkle that "English" itself is part Germanic, part Celt, part Nordic and part Frankish. Don't you then have to break down all those if you call yourself "English"? And then you have"Scotch-Irish" [sic], which is also part English, which is in turn.etc etc etc... Then within Irish there's our "Black Irish"....

I don't think most people have a clear idea of their own roots that specifically. I've done extensive genealogy and I couldn't pick definite proportions.

In that gif map I posted the first category that counted was identified as "US Americans", which is clearly not an ethnic group; it indicates that those people (who look to be in the "Scotch-Irish" [sic] region), don't know, don't care, or both. So the entire question is little more than a parlor game.
The survey I saw was just what Americans self identified as....

In the 2014 American Community Survey, German Americans (14.4%), Irish Americans (10.4%), English Americans (7.6%) and Italian Americans (5.4%) were the four largest self-reported European ancestry groups in the United States forming 37.8% of the total population.[6] However, the English-Americans and British-Americans demography is considered a serious under-count as the stock tend to self-report and identify as simply 'Americans' due to the length of time they have inhabited America.[

And they make great cars.

20150207_wom911.png

Okay... Read it. Still not seeing what you see... Care to elaborate?

"Brought into existence by Germany" -- which was brought into existence in 1871. Do you mean to suggest that "much of the modern world we take for granted" didn't exist before at the earliest 1871?

It is off the topic anyway, that being the ethnicity/language/culture, not the political unit.

And they make great cars.

Certainly better than the English.

And they make damn good cookies and cakes. :eusa_dance:

Forum List

Back