Georgia Offered Medicaid With Work Requirement But Few Signed Up

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
Can't really blame them. Smash & grabs earn them more money and you can make your own hours. Why on Earth would these people want to work at a real job? It is a bummer for them though to lose out on their Medicaid when before they could do smash & grabs AND collect Medicaid at the same time. This is so unfair to them.

OIP.xAIZ3i70sEjJ4h9QBd5X7gAAAA

“With such low enrollment numbers [in Georgia], it does feel a bit like that,” said Chris Pope, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. "It’s a mountain of paperwork, and it’s burdensome for people who are in a tough spot."

Make a program that is incredibly hard to sign up and then wonder why people didn't sign up. It was designed that way.

Republicans in Georgia urge patience and note that the state Medicaid agency has been busy reviewing eligibility for millions of people for the first time since the pandemic.

Or it could be because applications were shelved.

“With such low enrollment numbers [in Georgia], it does feel a bit like that,” said Chris Pope, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank. "It’s a mountain of paperwork, and it’s burdensome for people who are in a tough spot."

Make a program that is incredibly hard to sign up and then wonder why people didn't sign up. It was designed that way.
LOL. Yes, working is a terrible hurdle to have to climb.

Can't really blame them. Smash & grabs earn them more money and you can make your own hours. Why on Earth would these people want to work at a real job? It is a bummer for them though to lose out on their Medicaid when before they could do smash & grabs AND collect Medicaid at the same time. This is so unfair to them.

“Georgia Offered Medicaid With Work Requirement But Few Signed Up”

And appropriately so, it’s a policy that’s both reprehensible and wrong; it’s a bad-faith effort to expand Medicaid without expanding Medicaid at all.

What those on the ignorant right fail to understand is that the are a significant number of people who are unable to work – who are incapacitated but haven’t yet been established disabled by SSA or by the state’s disability authority, who are consequently ineligible for Medicaid.

Otherwise, Medicaid should be expanded absent any conditions other than residency and income/asset requirements; every American should have access to affordable healthcare – that conservatives oppose this is also reprehensible and wrong.

“Georgia Offered Medicaid With Work Requirement But Few Signed Up”

And appropriately so, it’s a policy that’s both reprehensible and wrong; it’s a bad-faith effort to expand Medicaid without expanding Medicaid at all.

What those on the ignorant right fail to understand is that the are a significant number of people who are unable to work – who are incapacitated but haven’t yet been established disabled by SSA or by the state’s disability authority, who are consequently ineligible for Medicaid.

Otherwise, Medicaid should be expanded absent any conditions other than residency and income/asset requirements; every American should have access to affordable healthcare – that conservatives oppose this is also reprehensible and wrong.
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

If their spot were really that tough, they'd do what they need to do. Doesn't matter what some commie think tank dude says.

If their spot were really that tough, they'd do what they need to do. Doesn't matter what some commie think tank dude says.

A guess being a conservative think tank is what makes it commie.

Which supports the fact that many are incapable of working due to an incapacity, not that they ‘don’t want to work,’ not because they’re ‘unwilling’ to work to gain Medicaid eligibility.
Bullshit. Very few people are actually disabled. Many people choose not to work because it’s too hard, or they experience a little bit of pain or discomfort because of it. The reality is our society is soft. Really soft, and it happened over just a couple generations. My grandparents would be appalled at how squishy the majority of people are now.

Obesity isn’t a disablity.
A bit of pain or discomfort is a disability.

And before you post some bullshit I’ll just point the how much of an increase in the percentage of people who are “disabled“ not compared to even 50 years ago. Especially young people.

Republicans in Georgia urge patience and note that the state Medicaid agency has been busy reviewing eligibility for millions of people for the first time since the pandemic.

Or it could be because applications were shelved.

Kafka-esque bureaucracy to discourage people from accessing benefits they're entitled to is the GOP's specialty. Who can forget this gem?

Gov. Says Florida's Unemployment System Was Designed To Create 'Pointless Roadblocks'
Amid staggering job losses in March and April, Florida's unemployment system was the slowest in the country to process claims. Residents described nightmarish experiences as they tried to get benefits. By April 20, just 6% of Floridians who had applied for unemployment benefits had received a check.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said that result was by design.

"Having studied how [the unemployment system] was internally constructed, I think the goal was for whoever designed, it was, 'Let's put as many kind of pointless roadblocks along the way, so people just say, oh, the hell with it, I'm not going to do that,' " DeSantis told a Miami CBS affiliate this week.

Florida's online system, known as CONNECT, debuted in October 2013 during the administration of DeSantis' fellow Republican Rick Scott, now a U.S. senator.

I think Medicaid is great for low income workers. My wife herself has been on medicaid before she married me because she made too little money at her job working. My wife always worked when she was receiving medicaid. She also got government assistance raising 6 kids. A lot of people such as my wife worked while under medicaid, it is a great program for low income workers. Now financially my wife and I are much better off and have better paying jobs thanks to Biden, but medicaid is a great program for those who struggle to make ends meets with their low paying jobs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back