George Zimmerman's bloody head

How about - would I fight for my life if some stranger followed me for a time, and then accosted me?

Yes. I would.

Excellent. So would I. But you didn't answer my question. Will you?

I can't. I don't do guns. I follow the rules. Somebody tells me not to follow the man, I don't.

Well, first, I said "weapon" and not gun. But hey, if you're being beat to death and choose not to pick up a nearby weapon to defend yourself, that's your prerogative. You are free to give up and die. Personally, I would make a different choice.

Regarding following anybody, it remains to be determined if Zimmerman followed Martin after being told to stop. Again, I'll let the jury decide.

"Nearby weapon?" Gracious, you're wandering far afield.

Look, you can choose to not have a pocket knife on you at all times. I choose differently. You can even choose to carry a firearm legally, but you've made you choice on that clear. Lots of objects can be weapons. When you're being raped by a 250lb convict, you can choose to stick that pen in your pocket into his eye, or you can wait for the police to arrive. Your choice.

The point is, you've made it clear that you would rather die than fight back. That's fine. I choose differently.

George Zimmerman sorry for Trayvon Martin death as bail set at $150,000 | World news | guardian.co.uk

George Zimmerman, the neighbourhood watch volunteer charged with the murder of Trayvon Martin, unexpectedly took the stand at a bail hearing on Friday and apologised to the teenager's family.

"I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of their son. I did not know how old he was – I thought he was a little bit younger than I am. And I did not know if he was armed or not," Zimmerman said.

So he shot someone when he didn't even know if they were armed?

It was a weird apology. He should have never qualified it.

Look, you can choose to not have a pocket knife on you at all times. I choose differently. You can even choose to carry a firearm legally, but you've made you choice on that clear. Lots of objects can be weapons. When you're being raped by a 250lb convict, you can choose to stick that pen in your pocket into his eye, or you can wait for the police to arrive. Your choice.

The point is, you've made it clear that you would rather die than fight back. That's fine. I choose differently.

Fighting back in a fight you initiated involves proportional force. Using a gun goes far beyond that. And considering that the police arrived almost seconds after Martin had died, it was completely un-necessary.

Fighting back in a fight you initiated involves proportional force. Using a gun goes far beyond that. And considering that the police arrived almost seconds after Martin had died, it was completely un-necessary.

We were talking hypothetically. Initiation of the conflict was not part of the conversation. Again, I'm not commenting on the Zimmerman case.

How about - would I fight for my life if some stranger followed me for a time, and then accosted me?

Yes. I would.

Someone asking a stranger in a gated community who they are and what they are doing is not "accosting" them. What gives you the right to assault someone asking those questions? Fight for your life because someone asks you questions? Are you kidding me! You fight for your life if someone attacks you. Someone asking you a question does not fall under the heading of an "attack".

Last edited:

Yes. I would.

Someone asking a stranger in a gated community who they are and what they are doing is not "accosting" them. What gives you the right to assault someone asking those questions? Fight for your life because someone asks you questions? Are you kidding me! You fight for your life if someone attacks you. Someone asking you a question does not fall under the heading of an "attack".

I'd have told the bastard to fuck off if he started asking me those questions

I already said I'd fight back. I believe that's what Trayvon was doing.

Yes. I would.

I would have walked faster.

Whenever deadly force is used, someone should be held accountable for it.

I do not agree with this statement. For example, there are plenty of cases in which repeat offenders (burglars, rapists, etc) have armed themselves and broken into the home of what they perceive to be a vulnerable single woman. Occasionally, that woman is armed and ends up using deadly force. In such circumstances, I would consider putting that woman on trial or even before a grand jury to be a travesty. Defending one's life with deadly force is not necessarily a bad thing.

Again, I make no comparison here to the Zimmerman case.
When a policeman shoots a suspect there's a coroner's inquiry. No citizen, no matter the circumstances, should get away with taking a life without a clear record and testimony. The "stand your ground" law is a license to kill without consequence. A day in court to tell the story before a judge is NOT an infringement of liberty. It's judicial responsibility.

Yes. I would.

It wasn't a casual encounter. Martin saw Zimmerman who was not an officer of the law, following him. Then after trying to flee from him..Zimmerman confronts him. It was reasonable to believe that Zimmerman meant to do him harm.

Martin was well within his rights to defend himself.

Yes. I would.

It wasn't a casual encounter. Martin saw Zimmerman who was not an officer of the law, following him. Then after trying to flee from him..Zimmerman confronts him. It was reasonable to believe that Zimmerman meant to do him harm.

Trayvon wasn't old enough for a concealed carry license. Too bad. Maybe he would have been able to stand his ground a little more effectively then.

Trayvon wasn't old enough for a concealed carry license. Too bad. Maybe he would have been able to stand his ground a little more effectively then.

IMHO the "Stand your ground" law is reckless and dangerous. This was predicted by the people who opposed it.

It's a disgrace that it had to come to this to recognize the folly of that legislation.

IMHO the "Stand your ground" law is reckless and dangerous. This was predicted by the people who opposed it.

It's a disgrace that it had to come to this to recognize the folly of that legislation.

It's a terrible shame.

Yes. I would.

That pretty much appears to be the tact that Trayvon took. Gee, how'd that work out again?

If someone asked me that, I'd tell them my name and the name of the person I was there visiting. But that's just good 'ole logical me. I got stopped twice by the cops in a fifteen minute stretch in Westchester, NY years back because it was a REALLY nice neighborhood and I was driving my college beater. Did I tell the police to fuck off because they were stereotyping me? No, I told them who I was there visiting and asked for directions because I was lost. If Trayvon Martin had done that the night of the shooting, George Zimmerman probably would have given him a ride to his dad's girlfriend's house. But instead, Trayon reacted like you say YOU would have...an altercation took place and he was shot dead. Sorry, but that's just plain stupid.

Regarding following anybody, it remains to be determined if Zimmerman followed Martin after being told to stop. Again, I'll let the jury decide.

you didn't hear the 911 tapes??

zimmerman was following martin

You didn't hear all the tapes either, but that's not the point. Without choosing sides here, I suspect Zimmerman will state that once he was asked to not follow Martin, and after he responded "Okay", he will claim that he did indeed stop following and returned to his vehicle and that it was Martin that later followed and attacked him. Again, I have no idea what happened but I'd bet that will be the defense's claim.

Forum List

Back