Generation Z

What difference does it make where these young people live? How does it affect the nation negatively?

Imagine if every young person worked full time, saved, didn't buy a house, lived eith a relative , didnt get married until their late 30s or even early 40s
Less debt. More money saved for retirement. Retire in their mid 50s. Where are the negatives here?

Imagine if every young person worked full time, saved, didn't buy a house, lived eith a relative , didnt get married until their late 30s or even early 40s
Less debt. More money saved for retirement. Retire in their mid 50s. Where are the negatives here?
We'd have a lot less kids. Infertility growth is pretty high in late 30's for women.

One-third of Gen Z folks still live with their parents. This is probably the laziest generation ever.

Bad take, and a wrong one.

When I graduated college, I EASILY afforded a very nice, one bedroom apt on a beginning teacher's salary. It wasn't like a college dive apt either, but a nice "profession" one.

My kids are Gen Z and their rent is more than our mortgage by a long shot.

It's not the "kids", it's the housing costs. Both our kids, in their mid-20s, have professional jobs in the fields they graduated in. They do not live at home, but cannot live alone in this economy.

When I graduated college, I EASILY afforded a very nice, one bedroom apt on a beginning teacher's salary. It wasn't like a college dive apt either, but a nice "profession" one.

It's not the "kids", it's the housing costs. Both our kids, in their mid-20s, have professional jobs in the fields they graduated in. They do not live at home, but cannot live alone in this economy.
It really is quite insane.

I feel bad for Gen Z that live in places like Texas, NY, Florida or California. Starting jobs there must have them tripling or quadrupling up. I just can't imagine what the cost of living is like with a minimum wage job or starting out. . .

Then again, I have heard, that some of those places don't require car insurance, so that must help.

My experience was much the same. Most of us back then weren’t saddled with absurdly high student loan debt when we graduated. I worked while in college and easily afforded my usual living expenses, while paying my tuition. Tuition my last semester at a major state university was $800, in 1981. I wrote the check. Young people can‘t do this today.

What has gone up faster than college tuition, except for our ridiculous healthcare costs and the national debt?

For the first time in my entire working career, beginning in 1984... I have given up hiring someone.
You would think a Full Time job starting at $18/hr. in southern Indiana mind you, that would be at least $20/hr equivalence in a city, where you can learn a trade where wages average between $25/hr to $35/hr. And you can take that experience anywhere in the country.
Only applications I get are absolute losers. It is a manufacturing job, Gen Z believes they are too good for manufacturing jobs. Would rather make $12 working part time at Starbucks and living with mommy and daddy

Gen Z believes they are too good for manufacturing jobs.

It is what was beat into their heads all through high school. Anything less than a 4 year school is seen as a failure for most high school kids these days and the administrations and counselor in the schools are the worst ones pushing this shit

Mortgage payments and rent payments are incredibly high.
Most of the newer apartment complexes rent in the area where I live
are around 1700-2,000 a month for a two bedroom. 3 months of rent before you can move in.
Carazy times!
This place exploded with dwelling cost.

It is that way everywhere, and very few places are building what most consider affordable housing for those starting out.

We have had a few new apartment complexes built around my area and they are all set as "luxury urban living" with the rents starting at 2 grand a month.

We use to think millennials were going to be bad. They grew out of their entitlement beliefs fairly quicky. They may not have the work ethics of Generation X, but they are not too bad anymore. In fact, they have improved the work/life balance than my generation (Gen X) completely made out of balance.
Many-many-many Gen Zs have no concept of what a job is. They believe it is going to be a continuation of College - coddled like children.
The idea of actual work, getting up at 5:30 am 5 days a week, on your feet working... is absolutely foreign to them.

which is the same age as Gen Z is right now, why are you attacking them?
Many of them stay with their parents many years after they graduate. You don't think they should be self reliant by then?

Many of them stay with their parents many years after they graduate. You don't think they should be self reliant by then?
Indeed.
My generation (Gen X) - if you were still living with your parents at 21 you would be seriously made fun of by your friends. Even if you were in college. I left for the last time at age 20.
Adding to this is the high number of teenagers who aren't interested in getting a license to drive.
That was unheard of before.

Forum List

Back