Gender Gap

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Jena McGregor: "While the percentage of women in Congress has slightly improved, from 17 to 18 percent, the United States still ranks 60th overall in terms of equality for female political leaders."​

March 13, 2014
women.gif

22 Countries Where The Gender Gap Is Smaller Than In The U.S.

In a year that has brought us national conversations about working women, leaning in and whether or not the patriarchy is in fact "dead," you might expect that all this talk signaled a real improvement for gender equality in the United States.

According to the 2013 Global Gender Gap report released on Oct. 24 by the World Economic Forum, that, unfortunately, is not the case. In fact, there are 22 countries where women have far more parity with their male counterparts than women do in the U.S.
The Global Gender Gap Report ranks 136 countries (which collectively contain over 93 percent of the world's population) based on 14 indicators used to measure the size of a nation's gender gap in four key areas:

Copyright. Link Each "Copy & Paste" to It's Source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each country out of the 136 is assigned a score between 1 (total equality) and 0 (total inequality) for each of the 14 indicators. The scores are then averaged to determine the overall rankings. According to the report's authors, the index scores represent the "percentage of the gap that has been closed between women and men."

Interesting. To play devil's advocate, does everything have to be equal? Should each profession employee equal numbers of men and women? I don't know if that is the case.

Perhaps men are naturally better at job B, and women at job C and the split will always be somewhat skewed. Men and women are built differently, think differently (in many respects), and act differently. I think men and women should always have equal ACCESS to a position if they are qualified, however I don't know if we're going to draw benefit from forcing total equality everywhere.

Each country out of the 136 is assigned a score between 1 (total equality) and 0 (total inequality) for each of the 14 indicators. The scores are then averaged to determine the overall rankings. According to the report's authors, the index scores represent the "percentage of the gap that has been closed between women and men."

Interesting. To play devil's advocate, does everything have to be equal? Should each profession employee equal numbers of men and women? I don't know if that is the case.

Perhaps men are naturally better at job B, and women at job C and the split will always be somewhat skewed. Men and women are built differently, think differently (in many respects), and act differently. I think men and women should always have equal ACCESS to a position if they are qualified, however I don't know if we're going to draw benefit from forcing total equality everywhere.

Some countries have a set # of representatives that have to be women, mostly because their culture is far more patriarchal than those in the west.

And it may be that politics attracts men more than women.

The US has attained almost perfect equality between men and women when it comes to "enrollment in primary, secondary and tertiary educational institutions.", so how do you explain...

"...at 67th, the U.S. ranking for wage equality for similar work is pitifully, embarrassingly low."

bs,

So you think businesses are actively paying woman less across the nation on purpose? Not likely at all. I think it is more likely that even through a slightly higher percentage of woman are in our colleges they're not seeking as well paying degrees as are men. So in area of science, doctors, and areas that have to do with math men are coming out on top with the higher paying jobs.

I wouldn't discourage these men as you seem to want to do as that would have very bad effects on our economy. We know you're a sexist against men.

Last edited:

How about employing the best and forget about quotas. quotas seems to be what star is fighting for.

Stupid!

How about employing the best and forget about quotas. quotas seems to be what star is fighting for.

Stupid!

he is, his goal is a completely equal society. The problem is it cant be achieved and the attempts to do so, do more harm than good. All im saying is give freedom a chance

Stupid!

SMH@U! - You're way off course dude/dudette - are you Malay?

It is true - women working the exact same jobs as men make - on average - less than the men. And yes, women are under-represented (proportionately) than men in congress, governor's mansions, etc ...

So are we supposed to remove obstacles or are we just supposed to feel guilty and vote for Hillary Clinton?

I'm not real sure what the purpose is here.

Stupid!

SMH@U! - You're way off course dude/dudette - are you Malay?

IF BUSINESSES ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST WOMAN. Why the fuck don't the government enforce the laws against that already on the books? Quotas are the promotion of stupidity.

It is true - women working the exact same jobs as men make - on average - less than the men.
That is false. Laws have been in place for some time now. Any woman getting paid less for the same job can sue big time. Women make less on average because of the type of work and hours.

You are wrong. Women are still paid less - on average. And Republicans filibustered a law that would have allowed women more opportunity to sue.

F BUSINESSES ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST WOMAN. Why the fuck don't the government enforce the laws against that already on the books?

Because businesses encourage their folks to be tight-lipped about what they are paid. By the time a woman finds out that she has been underpaid, the statute of limitations has often run out. There was a bill proposed to fix that - Republicans filibustered it.

It is true - women working the exact same jobs as men make - on average - less than the men.
That is false. Laws have been in place for some time now. Any woman getting paid less for the same job can sue big time. Women make less on average because of the type of work and hours.

You are wrong. Women are still paid less - on average. And Republicans filibustered a law that would have allowed women more opportunity to sue.

The only people who would have made $$ on that law were lawyers.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.htmlhttp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.htmlurl]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.html[/url]

The problem is with studies, they are biased. Women make less than men mostly because of child bearing and a host of other choices. They have to take time off, a leave of abscence, therefore they fall behind in experience and earn less. Ive seen studies that show the same qualifications and experience, a gender pay gap is negliable

No, Women Don?t Make Less Money Than Men - The Daily Beast

Last edited:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.htmlhttp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.htmlurl]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.html[/url]

The problem is with studies, they are biased. Women make less than men mostly because of child bearing and a host of other choices. They have to take time off, a leave of abscence, therefore they fall behind in experience and earn less. Ive seen studies that show the same qualifications and experience, a gender pay gap is negliable

No, Women Don?t Make Less Money Than Men - The Daily Beast

"even after controlling for
occupation, industry, hours, work experience, college major, religion,
race/ethnicity, GPA, education, number of children and marital status..."

The Gender Pay Gap Is Alive And Well In All 50 States, Shows Study

The Huffington Post | by Alanna Vagianos
03/14/2014

<snip>

While the pay gap is partially due to factors such as college major and type of job pursued after graduation, there is still a large part that cannot be explained by individual choice. In a 2012 analysis, AAUW found that even after controlling for occupation, industry, hours, work experience, college major, religion, race/ethnicity, GPA, education, number of children and marital status, women are paid only 82 percent of what their male peers are earning just a year after college graduation. Ten years out of college, the gap widens with women earning a mere 69 percent of what men earn.

<snip>

"Ten years out of college, the gap widens
with women earning a mere 69 percent of what men earn."

="http://www.huffingtonpost.com
HuffPo is your source?

"While it remains important to note that geography and local industry have a large influence on differing salaries, there are other major factors that come into play -- namely education level, race/ethnicity and age."

Females are college graduates these days at a higher percent than men so the study is BS.

Race, ethnicity and age? LOL. More women do decide to stay home more and do more with kids, that's a given. But to use that as discrimination of some sort is just mindless.

="http://www.huffingtonpost.com
HuffPo is your source?

"While it remains important to note that geography and local industry have a large influence on differing salaries, there are other major factors that come into play -- namely education level, race/ethnicity and age."

Females are college graduates these days at a higher percent than men so the study is BS.

Race, ethnicity and age? LOL. More women do decide to stay home more and do more with kids, that's a given. But to use that as discrimination of some sort is just mindless.

You're wrong, Huffingtonpost is not the source, AAUW is the source - lookitup.

Did you forget to c&p the qualifier here&#9758;"AAUW analyzed the pay gap by looking at full-time, year-round workers over the age of 15. Beyond comparing salaries of all men to salaries of all women, the report broke down wage imbalances between the sexes along three additional demographics: race/ethnicity, education level and age." to your c&p quote from the OP here&#9758; "While it remains important to note that geography and local industry have a large influence on differing salaries, there are other major factors that come into play -- namely education level, race/ethnicity and age."? and-----and even when AAUW took your extraneous factors into account here&#9758; "even after controlling for occupation, industry, hours, work experience, college major, religion, race/ethnicity, GPA, education, number of children and marital status..." women are still-----still paid less.

You're wrong, Huffingtonpost is not the source, AAUW is the source - lookitup.
Read. I said your source, not the source. I'm not going to track down the source and its' source if you are too lazy to and it was your point. I'll just laugh it off since it's BS anyway. What's the solution, pay women more for less hours or make them stop having babies?

Forum List

Back