Gems from Mittens

Aug 7, 2012
Flip/Flops

Will the real Mitch please stand up?

On being conservative

Mitt Romney desperately needs Tea Party support to win the GOP nomination this year. That's why he insists he's "just as conservative as I was four years ago. Maybe more so." But in 2002, Romney needed independents' support—and what did he say then? "I think people recognize that I'm not a partisan Republican, that I'm someone who is moderate, and that my views are progressive." If you can't trust Mitt Romney to say what he stands for, you can't trust him to stand for you.

On the Payroll Tax Cut Extension… Again

Mitt Romney called President Obama's tax cut extension – worth $1,500 to a typical middle class family – a "temporary little band-aid". Now he's flip flopped and says he's now against ending the payroll tax cut.

• In a debate during his 1994 race against Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy, Romney said, "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Referring to the 1973 Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal in every state, Romney added, "I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, it should be sustained and supported. And I sustain and support that law and support the right of a woman to make that choice."

• In his 2002 campaign for governor, Romney said during a debate, "I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard."

We believe that these two comments -- made in highly public forums and eight years apart -- represent pretty solid evidence that Romney was an abortion-rights supporter during that phase of his political career. (A few other media sources that provide a detailed accounting of the nuances of Romney’s abortion views can be found here and here.)

What about Romney’s views today? Romney wrote a June 18, 2011, op-ed in the conservative National Review that lays out his abortion views in detail.

"I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. I support the reversal of Roe v. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine. Roe was a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench. I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. And as president, I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood, which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services.

Last edited:
  • Banned
From the link in the OP:

On support for Ronald Reagan's policies -- Full Flop. As a Senate candidate in Massachusetts, he distanced himself from Reagan. As a presidential candidate, he's embraced the Gipper

Saying whatever he thinks he needs to get elected.

"I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back." –Mitt Romney, –Mitt Romney, on the American auto industry, despite having written a New York Times op-ed in 2008 titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," in which he said if GM, Ford and Chrysler got a government bailout "you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye"

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." –Mitt Romney (January 2012)

Last edited:
The only argument for a third party that is as good as the Republicans is the Democrats.

Forum List

Back