Geezer Blues

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I need to rent a teenager - NO, not for that. Get your mind out of the gutter! I need a teenager to help me with this shit.

I have a local cable company which provides me with internet access, cable TV, and backdoor phone service (we live in a dead zone, so must use voice over internet). I have something called "Zoom Extreme plus WiFi," for which we pay $110/month. The bottom line for everything is $247, which I find a tough pill to swallow.

We don't have any "premium" channels like HBO or Showtime, which would add to the total, of course.

My son tells me I'm wasting money and I should get "Apple TV" or something comparable. I DON'T HAVE the Golf Channel or the Tennis Channel, both of which I would watch. We watch a few of the normal network programs, including Fox News, and don't want to lose that. I think I have Netflix on a separate subscription, and we watch a lot of their programming. Would also like HBO and Showtime.

What do I have to get to have the network channels, a couple of special sports channels, HBO and Showtime. As for other original programming and old movies, I don't need it. Netflix is good enough.

Then, how do I do it? I have no clue. Will I get a magic plug to insert into the back of my "smart" TV?

Similar situation here. We could go streaming only but we live so far from the "local" broadcasters that an antenna of sufficient height is a pricey item to depend on in hurricane country.

What do I have to get to have the network channels, a couple of special sports channels, HBO and Showtime. As for other original programming and old movies, I don't need it. Netflix is good enough.
YouTube, Hulu, Tubi, and host of other streaming options. Check out the sports packages of each provider. Pay an extra fee for premium channels. For example, I believe YouTube TV is $60 a month and has a lot of sports channels.

I need to rent a teenager - NO, not for that. Get your mind out of the gutter! I need a teenager to help me with this shit.

I have a local cable company which provides me with internet access, cable TV, and backdoor phone service (we live in a dead zone, so must use voice over internet). I have something called "Zoom Extreme plus WiFi," for which we pay $110/month. The bottom line for everything is $247, which I find a tough pill to swallow.

We don't have any "premium" channels like HBO or Showtime, which would add to the total, of course.

My son tells me I'm wasting money and I should get "Apple TV" or something comparable. I DON'T HAVE the Golf Channel or the Tennis Channel, both of which I would watch. We watch a few of the normal network programs, including Fox News, and don't want to lose that. I think I have Netflix on a separate subscription, and we watch a lot of their programming. Would also like HBO and Showtime.

Then, how do I do it? I have no clue. Will I get a magic plug to insert into the back of my "smart" TV?
Youtube

Your smart tv should have wifi capability. That will allow you to connect your TV to the internet you have installed
If you like the convivence of having an on screen guide showing all your channels, the ability to record programs, a remote that is tailored to the service, and all channels accessible by using your remote or channel guide, you might like DirectTV streaming. It is easy to use, a lot like cable. There Entertainment Package has 65 cable channels plus your local channels and it has the Tennis Channel but the Golf Channel is an add on. It cost $69 a month. You can add both HBO and Showtime for about $25 a month. It includes your a receiver and remote that use change channels. So you should be able to get what you want for a bit over a $100. However, it does not include your monthly fee for connecting to the Internet.

DirectTV Streaming is an easy way to cut the cable. It is easy to install and easy to use but probably is not the cheapest way to go. Like cable, you will be buying a package of channels which includes many channels you may never watch.

Last edited:
Similar situation here. We could go streaming only but we live so far from the "local" broadcasters that an antenna of sufficient height is a pricey item to depend on in hurricane country.
If you have Internet and all you are interested in is local channels, there is a device that will pull local channels off the Internet and broadcast them so you can receive them on any TV in your house. It's a one time charge for the device less than $100 and no monthly fee. you of course need internet in your home.

Forum List

Back