GD thieving banks!

I just had a rather disturbing incident over at Wachovia bank.

I had a check for $150 someone wrote me for money they owed me. I stopped by their bank to cash it. The teller informs me there is a $5 charge to cash the check. I said "What? Wait a minute, this check is drawn on your bank." Teller still insist because I don't have an account there that I must pay $5 to cash the check. But wait, "don't you already charge these people to handle their money? And now you want to charge me too?" Teller simply reapts that if I want the check cashed, it's $5.

So I step aside and call the owner of the business that wrote the check. The owner has no idea why they want $5 to cash the check. She tells me to go ahead and cash it, just bring her a reciept and she'll give me the $5.

So, I go back to the teller. She gives me $145 and tells me to have a nice day. "Can I get a reciept please?" She looks bewildered. "A reciept for what?" she ask. "For the $5" I say. After a long conversation with the teller and eventually the branch manager, I get no receipt.

WTF is going on here? It's fucked up enough that you charge me $5 to cash a check that you are already charging someone else to handle. Now, you can't give me a reciept for services provided? Do you see what is going on here? These crooks are taking $5 a pop under the table to cash checks. They aren't recording the transaction as revenue from services provided. How many $5 fees is Wachovia collecting a day? Thousands of dollars? And not reporting it as a transcaction? Are they paying their taxes on this revenue?

Lousy, cheating, lying mother fuckers.

Yes, they are.

They have the legal right to be so, too.

They are, after all, bankers.

Last edited:

I had a check for $150 someone wrote me for money they owed me. I stopped by their bank to cash it. The teller informs me there is a $5 charge to cash the check. I said "What? Wait a minute, this check is drawn on your bank." Teller still insist because I don't have an account there that I must pay $5 to cash the check. But wait, "don't you already charge these people to handle their money? And now you want to charge me too?" Teller simply reapts that if I want the check cashed, it's $5.

So I step aside and call the owner of the business that wrote the check. The owner has no idea why they want $5 to cash the check. She tells me to go ahead and cash it, just bring her a reciept and she'll give me the $5.

So, I go back to the teller. She gives me $145 and tells me to have a nice day. "Can I get a reciept please?" She looks bewildered. "A reciept for what?" she ask. "For the $5" I say. After a long conversation with the teller and eventually the branch manager, I get no receipt.

WTF is going on here? It's fucked up enough that you charge me $5 to cash a check that you are already charging someone else to handle. Now, you can't give me a reciept for services provided? Do you see what is going on here? These crooks are taking $5 a pop under the table to cash checks. They aren't recording the transaction as revenue from services provided. How many $5 fees is Wachovia collecting a day? Thousands of dollars? And not reporting it as a transcaction? Are they paying their taxes on this revenue?

Yes, they are.

They have the legal right to be so, too.

They are, after all, bankers.

I'm not sure it's legal. I'd really like to see this examined a little closer. It appears that they are just skimming $5 off every check and not recording it as a transaction or a fee. If you can't give me a reciept are you making any record of this transaction for what it is? I want to know if it's being done above board. I get the feeling it's a neat little trick they're using and figure no one will question it, considering the demographic it affects.

You should have gone home, got on your computer, pulled up whatever word processing you use, Microsoft Word, etc., and wrote them out a bill for your time standing there at the teller for $5. That bill to them would have been every bit as LEGAL as them charging you for cashing THEIR check.

I've done it.... and they've PAID it. Not Wachovia, but BofA.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

and it happened on your guys watch! ain't you got any pull? tell ya what,, if I were you I would deal only with credit unions,, fuck banks, obamalama own the banks.

You should have called 911.

I gave it serious consideration. I don;t know that it was a direct crime but somone needs to check this out and find out what Wachovia is doing with all these unrecorded $5 fees.

Write a letter to your local newspaper outlining exactly what happened. Then send an e-mail to the main Wachovia site, also outlining what happened, and the fact that you have written a letter to your newspaper. If the paper publishes the letter, send Wachovia a copy. No business likes negative publicity. Least of all, businesses like banks that have seen so much negative publicity in the last year.

You should have gone home, got on your computer, pulled up whatever word processing you use, Microsoft Word, etc., and wrote them out a bill for your time standing there at the teller for $5. That bill to them would have been every bit as LEGAL as them charging you for cashing THEIR check.

I've done it.... and they've PAID it. Not Wachovia, but BofA.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

That's a pretty good idea.

Why didn't you just cash the check at your own bank?

I don't have a bank.

Bad idea.

Banks are like assholes.

Nobody wants much to do with theirs, but they're occassionally necessary anyway.

Here's a tip though...stick with smaller local banks and be nice -- really really really nice -- to the tellers.

They can often help you get around these thieving banking policies, and since they're usually treated like crap by those same banker that are screwing you, they're likely to do so if they know you and like you.

I don't have a bank.

Bad idea.

Banks are like assholes.

Nobody wants much to do with theirs, but they're occassionally necessary anyway.

Here's a tip though...stick with smaller local banks and be nice -- really really really nice -- to the tellers.

They can often help you get around these thieving banking policies, and since they're usually treated like crap by those same banker that are screwing you, they're likely to do so if they know you and like you.

Few people know me and nobody likes me. :lol:

I haven't had a bank account in years. I just don't have enough money that I need to pay anyone to keep track of it for me or protect it. It's just not a service I need.

I don't have a bank.

Bad idea.

Banks are like assholes.

That's good advice. I've always dealt with a small bank and it's true about knowing the tellers(all bank staff actually), it can serve you well.:eusa_whistle:

You should take editec's advice.

I don't have enough money to justify paying someone to manage it for me.

I have two cans of corn in the pantry, do you think I should contract the services of a grain silo?

Ok, don't open any type of account and pay the asinine fees. Stop bitching about it. :rolleyes:

But....but.....the person who wrote that check pays the bank to handle their money and checks for them.

Check - A negotiable instrument drawn against deposited funds, to pay a specified amount of money to a specific person upon demand.

It kind of defies the very definition of a check.

I don't have enough money to justify paying someone to manage it for me.

I have two cans of corn in the pantry, do you think I should contract the services of a grain silo?

Ok, don't open any type of account and pay the asinine fees. Stop bitching about it. :rolleyes:
or he could open an account at a credit union
they dont charge a fee to have the account

Or I could just not accept checks. That is probably the route I will take. If they aren't worth what they say they are, I don't see nay reason to accept them.

this is from the dept of the treasury....the Administrator of National Banks...

Why doesn't a national bank have to cash a check that is drawn on them?

There is no federal law or regulation that requires national banks to cash checks for noncustomers. Most banks have policies that allow check cashing services only for customers who have an account with them in order to protect both themselves and their customers from forgeries.

Once a national bank cashes a check that has been forged by a noncustomer, they may lose money if they cannot collect from the person who cashed the check.

Also, if a national bank agrees to cash a check for a noncustomer, it may legally charge the presenter a fee.

this is from the dept of the treasury....the Administrator of National Banks...

Why doesn't a national bank have to cash a check that is drawn on them?

There is no federal law or regulation that requires national banks to cash checks for noncustomers. Most banks have policies that allow check cashing services only for customers who have an account with them in order to protect both themselves and their customers from forgeries.

Once a national bank cashes a check that has been forged by a noncustomer, they may lose money if they cannot collect from the person who cashed the check.

Also, if a national bank agrees to cash a check for a noncustomer, it may legally charge the presenter a fee.

It does appear that they can do this legally. However, doesn't it somewhat undermine the entire premise of a check? This only solidifies my resolve not to take a check. It isn't worth the paper it's written on and the very bank is not required to give you the money. All checks are, for all legal intents, worthless, it would seem. Is BoA a customer of Wachovia? If not, Wachovia is not bound to honor any checks presented to them by BoA that their customers deposited?

Yeah.....fucking crooks.

Forum List

Back