'Gay' romance appropriate for children?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
**A show geared towards kids highlighting gay romance? This is disgusting and just another show my child will never be watching. I wouldn't want to see this crap on adult shows let alone for the kids.**

A youth-oriented television drama with a growing U.S. following is breaking new ground this year with a major teen character who declares his homosexuality and "falls in love" with a male classmate.

The Canadian drama "Degrassi: The Next Generation" – available to 22 million U.S. households on the Nickelodeon-owned cable channel Noggin – is acclaimed by homosexual-rights groups for boldly going where no program has gone before.

"When a gay teen character is introduced into a mainstream youth-oriented drama with a minimum of fanfare, you can be sure of one thing: You're not talking about U.S. television," commented the American homosexual magazine The Advocate in its Feb. 3 issue.

The show is broadcast in the U.S. on the N, a programming block on the Noggin channel aimed at pre-teens and teens. During the day, however, the same channel caters to programs for toddlers and elementary school children.

In an interview with The Advocate, actors Adamo Ruggiero, 17, and John Bregar, 18, said they believe the characters they play in the DeGrassi series are true-to-life.

Ruggiero's character, Marco, previously "came out of the closet" about his homosexuality, but this season he meets Dylan, played by Bregar, the openly homosexual brother of Marco's friend Paige. By the end of this season, according to head writer Aaron Martin, Marco will have a boyfriend.

"I think, in general, coming out is less shocking [to today's youth], but you don't want to have the ignorance to say that everything is OK, because people are still homophobic," Ruggiero told the magazine.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36734

Ugh, not something I am interest in watching!!!! nor my children!

...How many kids suffer because they are afraid to come out. Adolescence is tulmultuous enough without having to suffer for the way you're born.

Homosexuality is not a perversion, it just is. It is treated as a perversion by those too blinded by their own ignorance or whatever dogma they espouse to accept it as a simple fact of life.

You've made your choice, change the channel and get over it.

There's nothing to get over, I could care less what people do, they want to be Gay, so be it, but I don't have to see it, and your right, change a channel. I just think it's wrong to put this CRAP on TV!

You've made your choice, change the channel and get over it.

Like Hell.

My cable bill just increased by $20 a month. $20 DOLLARS. I currently have Digital cable.. .my bill went from $40 to $60.

Noggin is the only reason I keep digital cable. I have a 3 year old daughter who only watches Noggin. They have great educational programs for toddlers in the morning and afternoon, up until 6 pm. The programs Noggin puts on (for smaller children) are not the normal 'Rugrats' 'Spongebob' type cartoon... they have teaching tools incorporated into most of their programs.

To add a gay teen sitcom on a channel that is flooded with children as young as 1-2 years is completely immoral! I dont care if they put this trash show on at 2 am and it has exactly 4 viewers, you dont put that type of show on a channel geared towards younger children.

I'm completely disgusted with this. I've visited the Noggin website and cant find any reference to this program. Should this be broadcast on the Noggin network, at any time of day, I will remove my digital cable and I've expressed my opinion to both the Noggin Network and my cable providor.

i think there are too many bleeding hearts out there that want to pacify and cater to the homesexual community. like it or not, if you get them on your side when it comes to votes.... do the math.
this is the reason we have gay day, trying to get legal marriages and bennies for them.
its fucking disgusting and why put that shit on a channel for children? are they trying to dement them? trying to plant the seeds of homosexuality is a good thing? again, bullshit. wanna see cable rates drop?
how about we let some of the anti homosexuals we have in congress see there kids watching this crap. see what happens then.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
When is the teen S&M show going into production?:kiss2: :spank3: :whip:

Spaniards & Mexicans? ;)

All kidding aside, S&M IS a perversion in that its participants take pain and humiliation to be pleasurable experiences. Doesn't matter if they're gay or straight.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
The cardinals pronouncement, like all things religious, is a no more than his opinion.

And your announcement that it isn't a perversion is just that, YOUR opinion.

Are we really discussing this? Gay sex to me ( yes my opinion ) is a perversion!!!& to force it down our childrens throats isnt right at all!!!My children will never watch this type of trash(as BS stated I will change the channel) But get over it? Sure sounds funny to me,it is each persons choice to decide if this is right for there children, but one has to wonder why, if ya disagree should ya be told to get over it. As far as S&M goes why is it any different than anything else 2 consenting adults do?See Ya'll get me to think like Ya'll ( as far as what 2 do is there bussiness ) but then ya throw a loop in . I guess I am to believe that as long as it is the liberal way of thinking it is ok?
Jeff

Well my opinion is that gratuitous violence as seen on most, if not all TV channels is inappropriate, subversive and is abhorrent in western televisions. Does that mean that we should ban it? I don't think anyone would agree the violence is an acceptable social trait, so why should we hold one standard higher than the other? Where does the line of free speech and social decency draw itself. At what point to we want to repress valid social issues, whether we agree with them or not?

Children TV viewership is not forced down ones throat. If you do not want you children to see a show, than don't let them. Banning it is an over-reaction to say the least.

As a side note, almost all Canadians of my generation, including myself, have grown up with this show, Degrassi High, or its many generational spinoffs. Out of perhaps any show it portrayed life in a Canadian junior high, high school and generally teenage life it one of the most balanced way i've ever seen. I must say that I find it very interesting for people to comment on a show they've never seen. If it is like when they've addressed drugs, gangs, sex and violence, they've always done it tastefully. To call it gross and obscene would be more than like erroneous.

I'd rather my cousins watch this show than say Power Rangers, Dragon Ball Z or the stoner-hit Spongebob square pants.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Spaniards & Mexicans? ;)

All kidding aside, S&M IS a perversion in that its participants take pain and humiliation to be pleasurable experiences. Doesn't matter if they're gay or straight.
Spaniard & Mexicans haha.
Hey who are we to judge what people do in the privacy of their own home, if it envolves pain and humiliation so be it. I really doubt the forementioned gay teen tv show is actually going to show sexually acts, they could format the same with an S&M theme and not actually show any private acts.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Well my opinion is that gratuitous violence as seen on most, if not all TV channels is inappropriate, subversive and is abhorrent in western televisions. Does that mean that we should ban it? I don't think anyone would agree the violence is an acceptable social trait, so why should we hold one standard higher than the other? Where does the line of free speech and social decency draw itself.

That line gets drawn when our children are involved. We can monitor our infant children, but kids between the ages of 8-14 might flip channels and watch whatever looks interesting to them. I don't want my son accidentally tuning in and seeing a couple of queers kissing.

Forum List

Back