Gay Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns

that's a bummer, but gay rights don't even come close to trumping the economy. In fact military and staying out of the economy are the most important aspects of government. I'm pro gay rights but not at a risk where they can have a country that supports them.

Other than write to him and suggest he reconsider, what exactly can I do about his decision?

You obviously cannot alter his decision. But you can be an advocate for gay rights here and elsewhere. The more the merrier.

:lmao:

What special rights do they need?

I've never understood this argument.

Why would more rights be a bad thing? Gay marriage wouldn't be a "special right" - you'd be allowed to marry a dude too, if you wanted.

Gay people wouldn't have any rights that you don't have.

It's religions that bash gays not republicans. Not all republicans are religious.

I wouldn't be surprised if gays were the ones that hassled him for being republican.

That's my guess. Has a single rightwinger started a thread on this? Especially emphasizing that he was GAY?

Certainly no woman, no black person, no Hispanic person, no pro choice person, no gay person is allowed to be Republican or support a Republican. They will be ruthlessly demonized and criticized and ridiculed and made a poster boy or girl for some derogatory concept.

Nobody is allowed to wander off the liberal plantation with impunity.

More than likely the attack came from anti gay-conservative liberals.

Richard Grenell, Controversial Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns :badgrin:

Richard Grenell, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's controversial choice for national security spokesman, is leaving the campaign less than two weeks after his appointment.

The Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin, who broke the news Tuesday, suggested that the openly gay Grenell, a former George W. Bush administration official, likely resigned because of a "full-court press by anti-gay conservatives." Grenell confirmed his resignation in a statement to Rubin:

I feel for the guy. It's ridiculous that just one aspect of who he is should be perceived as the only important thing about him.

He went out of his way to make that the one important thing about him. He was a vociferous proponent for gay marriage rights. That was his claim to fame.

So when a media article says somone is "openly gay", it is like this:

GAY: Hi, I work for Romney, and did I tell you I was gay?

VOTER: Uh. Okay. So why should I vote for Romney?

GAY: Because I'm gay, that's why! By the way...did I tell you I am gay?

Imagine a newspaper article talking about a political operative who is "openly black." The media is a manipulating partner in all of this, too.

Washington D.C. is as gay as San Francisco. The media and congressional staff in DC are overflowing with gays. They have been accepted there by Right and Left for a long time. This "openly gay" crap is for the consumption of the rubes in Iowa.

Last edited:
I don't think he did, though. Romney brought him on to begin with, the gentleman chose to resign.
The Christian Right was in a uproar from the moment Grenell was appointed. He was excluded from meetings on the subject of his expertise.

Last edited:
Maybe I gave Romney too much credit. Maybe he was pandering when he hired the gentleman, but it boomeranged (thanks to the people he's been kissing up to for months).

It's religions that bash gays not republicans. Not all republicans are religious.

I wouldn't be surprised if gays were the ones that hassled him for being republican.

That's my guess. Has a single rightwinger started a thread on this? Especially emphasizing that he was GAY?

Certainly no woman, no black person, no Hispanic person, no pro choice person, no gay person is allowed to be Republican or support a Republican. They will be ruthlessly demonized and criticized and ridiculed and made a poster boy or girl for some derogatory concept.

Is there a more ridiculous argument?

Is there a more ridiculous argument?

It's actually a good point. Gays have been working for prominent GOP politicians for some time. Everyone, on both sides, just prefers everyone keep their big mouths shut about it. They just have different reasons for why they want it hush-hush.:lol:

Romney's guy broke the unspoken rules.

I don't think he did, though. Romney brought him on to begin with, the gentleman chose to resign.
The Christian Right was in a uproar from the moment Grenell was appointed. He was excluded from meeting on the subject of his expertise.

Oh baloney. I'm Christian and I'm on the right and I have no problem with him being gay. Most of my family, collegues, friends, and associates are Christian, probably the majority are on the right, and none of them have any problem with him being gay.

I do not believe for a minute that one or two radical rightwing groups were able to have enough influence in this to merit the slightest bit of concern from anybody.

But the fact that the Washington Post and almost all other leftwing media and people like you on message boards and whatever other people are speaking for the left immediately highlighted the point that he was GAY. And that the right wouldn't stand for a GAY person. That Romney was weak allowing a GAY person to resign. Yadda yadda.

Would there have been any interest whatsoever in a person leaving the Romney camp if he had not been GAY?

The only significant bunch of people giving this any, most especially intense attention are those on the Left who see people as GAY and not just people.

Richard Grenell, Controversial Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns :badgrin:

Richard Grenell, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's controversial choice for national security spokesman, is leaving the campaign less than two weeks after his appointment.

The Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin, who broke the news Tuesday, suggested that the openly gay Grenell, a former George W. Bush administration official, likely resigned because of a "full-court press by anti-gay conservatives." Grenell confirmed his resignation in a statement to Rubin:

I have decided to resign from the Romney campaign as the Foreign Policy and National Security Spokesman. While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama’s foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign. I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team.
<more>

So what exactly is your point here? That sexual lifestyle should not be a consideration when somebody is hired in a high-level position?

What you leftists don't understand is that there are "foundational" differences between your people and "normal" people (those of us who have moral beliefs, core values, etc.).

The Christian Right was in a uproar from the moment Grenell was appointed. He was excluded from meeting on the subject of his expertise.

Oh baloney. I'm Christian and I'm on the right and I have no problem with him being gay. Most of my family, collegues, friends, and associates are Christian, probably the majority are on the right, and none of them have any problem with him being gay.

I do not believe for a minute that one or two radical rightwing groups were able to have enough influence in this to merit the slightest bit of concern from anybody.

But the fact that the Washington Post and almost all other leftwing media and people like you on message boards and whatever other people are speaking for the left immediately highlighted the point that he was GAY. And that the right wouldn't stand for a GAY person. That Romney was weak allowing a GAY person to resign. Yadda yadda.

Would there have been any interest whatsoever in a person leaving the Romney camp if he had not been GAY?

The only significant bunch of people giving this any, most especially intense attention are those on the Left who see people as GAY and not just people.

So, he's a liar? He resigned, you're saying he lied about why?

The Christian Right was in a uproar from the moment Grenell was appointed. He was excluded from meetings on the subject of his expertise.

well it's good you got the dirt on it all..

you really are pathetic and could give two shits about this guy and his leaving his job..

Forum List

Back