Gas went from 3.61 to 3.99 withing minutes.

No, the deal is I give you the present value. You claim the pound is worth more today, so you would benefit from exchanging at the present value if your statement is true.

You're the one that keeps changing we have you on record for doing that. Not me I have said the same thing over and over.No matter how hard you try what you say is not true.

If you have to double up to equal one what is the greater value?
2 American dollars equal one pound.

Let me ask you this which is heavier a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

That's never been the discussion. The discussion has always been the relative value of the dollar.

No you tried to make it relative value. Not my argument.

You can't get the same value now that you could get in 2008.

I see that you ignored the actual math on the issue. Here it is again: Try and actually address it.

Remember also that your statement was this:
What I am saying is and have said repeatedly what you could get in regards to the value of the dollar exchange rate in 2008 you get less now.

IOW: you get the figures I posted .65 and .75 respectively. The figure you posted is NOT what you get for the dollar. That is what you get for a EURO. So, it is true that you get LESS now for a euro and that you get MORE for the dollar. So, no. The statement I made is not 'true and not true' on my part. It was totally true on my part.

We could do some simple math to show it as well:

I want to buy a chair that cost 100 euro. In 2008 that couch would cost
Base euro cost x exchange rate = total cost in dollars

100 x 1.55 = 155 dollars for the chair

In 2012:
100 x 1.31 = 131 dollars for the chair

So, you get MORE for the same dollar. In reverse, if the chair cost 100 dollars and you purchased it with euro:

100 x .65 = 65 Euro for the chair
100 x .75 = 75 Euro for the chair

Again, this shows that the same dollar amount cost MORE in euro in 2012. In other words, those dollars, are again, worth more as compared to the euro. There is no way to cook the numbers showing that you get more of anything in 2008 over what you are getting in 2012 for your dollar.

That's never been the discussion. The discussion has always been the relative value of the dollar.

No you tried to make it relative value. Not my argument.

You can't get the same value now that you could get in 2008.

I see that you ignored the actual math on the issue. Here it is again: Try and actually address it.

Remember also that your statement was this:
What I am saying is and have said repeatedly what you could get in regards to the value of the dollar exchange rate in 2008 you get less now.

IOW: you get the figures I posted .65 and .75 respectively. The figure you posted is NOT what you get for the dollar. That is what you get for a EURO. So, it is true that you get LESS now for a euro and that you get MORE for the dollar. So, no. The statement I made is not 'true and not true' on my part. It was totally true on my part.

We could do some simple math to show it as well:

I want to buy a chair that cost 100 euro. In 2008 that couch would cost
Base euro cost x exchange rate = total cost in dollars

100 x 1.55 = 155 dollars for the chair

In 2012:
100 x 1.31 = 131 dollars for the chair

So, you get MORE for the same dollar. In reverse, if the chair cost 100 dollars and you purchased it with euro:

100 x .65 = 65 Euro for the chair
100 x .75 = 75 Euro for the chair

Again, this shows that the same dollar amount cost MORE in euro in 2012. In other words, those dollars, are again, worth more as compared to the euro. There is no way to cook the numbers showing that you get more of anything in 2008 over what you are getting in 2012 for your dollar.

ok let's make an exchange I give you 1 pound and you give me the 2008 U.S. Dollar value in return. or would you whether go with the 2012 chart?

No, the deal is I give you the present value. You claim the pound is worth more today, so you would benefit from exchanging at the present value if your statement is true.

I claim the dollar is not worth the same value as it was in 2008. But it's no deal? Why not

Because a pound is worth less today than it was in 2008 (aka, a dollar is worth more). You're wanting me to give you 2 dollars per pound, even though I'd only get 1.50 for them if I exchanged them at current rates. You claim the dollar is worth less today. If that were true, you'd want to pay me to pay you the current rate then be able to somehow exchange it for the 2008 rate.

ok let's make an exchange I give you 1 pound and you give me the 2008 U.S. Dollar value in return. or would you whether go with the 2012 chart?

Why would I do that, the POUND is worth less now then it was then so I am not going to take your pound. NOW, you give me a dollar and I will happily give you pounds in the 2008 exchange rate as the dollar was worth less.

You are claiming the value of the dollar decreased from Mar 2008 to Mar 2012 and then using the value of the pound. Try actually using the value of the dollar instead.

Of course, you could actually examine the math that I gave you proving what I have stated as unequivocally true but for some reason you keep ignoring the proof....

I wonder why?

Why would I do that, the POUND is worth less now then it was then so I am not going to take your pound. NOW, you give me a dollar and I will happily give you pounds in the 2008 exchange rate as the dollar was worth less.

You are claiming the value of the dollar decreased from Mar 2008 to Mar 2012 and then using the value of the pound. Try actually using the value of the dollar instead.

Of course, you could actually examine the math that I gave you proving what I have stated as unequivocally true but for some reason you keep ignoring the proof....

I wonder why?
You would give me 2..50 for 1 pound? We are talking about the 2008 exchange rate not the 2012 exchange rate. which is worth 1.55. Those odds I like.

Because a pound is worth less today than it was in 2008 (aka, a dollar is worth more). You're wanting me to give you 2 dollars per pound, even though I'd only get 1.50 for them if I exchanged them at current rates. You claim the dollar is worth less today. If that were true, you'd want to pay me to pay you the current rate then be able to somehow exchange it for the 2008 rate.

OH but no do you give me more dollars in 2012 at 2008 exchange rate or 2012 exchange rate?

an interesting read

Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, relative value, worth of a dollar, purchase power

To see more clearly how the price of the dollar has changed, it helps to view price changes over a 10 year period. Since 2002, the price of a barrel of oil has increased four-fold, to $107 last Friday from $26 in 2002. To suggest that oil companies had enough power to impose such a price increase, or that speculators are responsible for a quadrupling of the price of oil is, on its face, preposterous. Instead, the price of oil and gasoline are up because the Federal Reserve has driven the value of the dollar down.
The Rising Price Of the Falling Dollar - Forbes

an interesting read

Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, relative value, worth of a dollar, purchase power

To see more clearly how the price of the dollar has changed, it helps to view price changes over a 10 year period. Since 2002, the price of a barrel of oil has increased four-fold, to $107 last Friday from $26 in 2002. To suggest that oil companies had enough power to impose such a price increase, or that speculators are responsible for a quadrupling of the price of oil is, on its face, preposterous. Instead, the price of oil and gasoline are up because the Federal Reserve has driven the value of the dollar down.

Not true. The price of oil has increased because we've hit all the easy supply and demand growth is far outstripped new supply coming online.

an interesting read

Not true. The price of oil has increased because we've hit all the easy supply and demand growth is far outstripped new supply coming online.

OH bullshit the price of oil moves like a wave because of the value of the dollar.

an interesting read

OH bullshit the price of oil moves like a wave because of the value of the dollar.

Oh, so you are now going to abandon the asinine measure that you have been claiming for the last 20 pages? Perhaps you should actually admit that your comparison with the pound was simply incorrect.

Now, if you want to talk about value as compared to other things, you have a point. There is a valid argument for with the direct price of oil or milk or a thousand other things. I would actually agree that the value of the dollar had declined gravely and that the inflation numbers are being cooked in the asinine manner that we calculate them. Unfortunately, your point using the exchange rate was simply incorrect in illustrating this. The price of food I think illustrates this point effectively.

Oh, so you are now going to abandon the asinine measure that you have been claiming for the last 20 pages? Perhaps you should actually admit that your comparison with the pound was simply incorrect.

Now, if you want to talk about value as compared to other things, you have a point. There is a valid argument for with the direct price of oil or milk or a thousand other things. I would actually agree that the value of the dollar had declined gravely and that the inflation numbers are being cooked in the asinine manner that we calculate them. Unfortunately, your point using the exchange rate was simply incorrect in illustrating this. The price of food I think illustrates this point effectively.

I haven't abandon anything if you look back through this this this has always been my argument.

Forum List

Back