Gallup Poll. Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Say the ACA has Personally Hurt Them.

I could have sworn this was a front-loading law where certain taxes were increased starting in 2010 to pay for this. It was things like the medical device tax and other taxes. So yes, the pain from ACA kicked in well before the open enrollment fiasco.

I have no sympathy for those that voted for Obama and are now finding out that their insurance is going up or they are being dropped by their insurance companies. You were told all of this would happen. The Republicans and Conservatives have put the message out for years and it is all coming to fruition.

Unfortunately, elections have consequences.

Indeed. I offer the list from Obama's machine to show fairness. It can be disputed, but we'll see.

-Geaux

ObamaCare Tax: Full List of ObamaCare Taxes

Full List of All Taxes in ObamaCare / All Taxes in the Affordable Care Act

The following list of new ObamaCare taxes collectively raise over $800 billion by 2022. Here is a complete list of new fees and taxes contained within ObamaCare:

ObamaCare Taxes That Most Likely Won't Directly Affect the Average American

• 2.3% Tax on Medical Device Manufacturers 2014

• 10% Tax on Indoor Tanning Services 2014

• Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike

• Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals which fail to comply with the requirements of ObamaCare

• Tax on Brand Name Drugs

• Tax on Health Insurers

• $500,000 Annual Executive Compensation Limit for Health Insurance Executives

• Elimination of tax deduction for employer-provided retirement Rx drug coverage in coordination with Medicare Part D

• Employer Mandate on business with over 50 full-time equivalent employees to provide health insurance to full-time employees. $2000 per employee $3000 if employee uses tax credits to buy insurance on the exchange (marketplace). (pushed back to 2015)

• Medicare Tax on Investment Income 3.8% over $200k/$250k

• Medicare Part A Tax increase of .9% over $200k/$250k

• Employer Reporting of Insurance on W-2 (not a tax)

• Corporate 1099-MISC Information Reporting (repealed)

• Codification of the "economic substance doctrine" (not a tax)

ObamaCare Taxes That (may) Directly Affect the Average American

• 40% Excise Tax "Cadillac" on high-end Premium Health Insurance Plans 2018

• An annual $63 fee levied by ObamaCare on all plans (decreased each year until 2017 when pre-existing conditions are eliminated) to help pay for insurance companies covering the costs of high-risk pools.

• Medicine Cabinet Tax
Over the counter medicines no longer qualified as medical expenses for flexible spending accounts (FSAs), health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), health savings accounts (HSAs), and Archer Medical Saving accounts (MSAs).

• Additional Tax on HSA/MSA Distributions
Health savings account or an Archer medical savings account, penalties for spending money on non-qualified medical expenses. 10% to 20% in the case of a HSA and from 15% to 20% in the case of a MSA.

• Flexible Spending Account Cap 2013
Contributions to FSAs are reduced to $2,500 from $5,000.

• Medical Deduction Threshold tax increase 2013
Threshold to deduct medical expenses as an itemized deduction increases to 10% from 7.5%.

• Individual Mandate (the tax for not purchasing insurance if you can afford it) 2014
Starting in 2014, anyone not buying "qualifying" health insurance must pay an income tax surtax at a rate of 1% or $95 in 2014 to 2.5% in 2016 on profitable income above the tax threshold. The total penalty amount cannot exceed the national average of the annual premiums of a "bronze level" health insurance plan on ObamaCare exchanges.

• Premium Tax Credits for Small Businesses 2014 (not a tax)

• Advanced Premium Tax Credits for Individuals and Families 2014 (not a tax)

• Medical Loss Ratio (MRL): Premium rebates (not a tax)

Last edited:
Most of the people it's going to hurt are in the red states that are refusing to accept the Medicaid expansion.

It is hurting the working middle class, as it was designed to do. They receive little to no subsidies and will pay higher taxes.

My health care costs are going way up. We are making cut backs in other areas to make it work but this is a real burden.

Most of the people it's going to hurt are in the red states that are refusing to accept the Medicaid expansion.

It is hurting the working middle class, as it was designed to do. They receive little to no subsidies and will pay higher taxes.

My health care costs are going way up. We are making cut backs in other areas to make it work but this is a real burden.

The only way it would go up besides regular inflation that happens every year is because you have a Cadillac plan or aren't middle class.

How is it possible that every Obama hater on USMB just happens to be seeing his or her insurance go up?

My advice to all sensible USMB posters - when you read these unconfirmed horror stories from these anonymous sources,

please, remember, it's the internet.

19% of people state they have been personally hurt by the Law.

9% say they have been helped.

19% = 62,700,000 Americans. That is more than all the people who voted for Obama is 2012.

How is any of this good for Obama, the ACA, or Democrats? Please explain your logic.

Nice cherry picking. 69% of americans say it has not changed their coverage what so ever. Also try reading your own link, the "hurt" options are mainly from right wingers that are just trolling the poll.

Do you actually think any right winger would say something positive about the ACA, even if it helped them? Of course not,..

Do you personally know who responded to the poll? Illogical and stupid conclusion based on zero factual data. Post = Fail. :(

I know that Gallup's poll on background checks for gun purchases found that 91% of Americans wanted background checks for ALL gun sales...

...I assume you accept that as indisputable, too...

Nice cherry picking. 69% of americans say it has not changed their coverage what so ever. Also try reading your own link, the "hurt" options are mainly from right wingers that are just trolling the poll.

Do you actually think any right winger would say something positive about the ACA, even if it helped them? Of course not,..

Do you personally know who responded to the poll? Illogical and stupid conclusion based on zero factual data. Post = Fail. :(

I know that Gallup's poll on background checks for gun purchases found that 91% of Americans wanted background checks for ALL gun sales...

I own a shit load of guns. Real big scary guns. No I am not a felon. I don't give a shit about background checks, unless my gun purchase is stored in a Government database without my permission or consent. Check to make sure I am not a criminal is fine. Anything more is an infringement of my Constitutional Rights.

How is it possible that every Obama hater on USMB just happens to be seeing his or her insurance go up?

My advice to all sensible USMB posters - when you read these unconfirmed horror stories from these anonymous sources,

please, remember, it's the internet.

I noticed that as well and I'm sure most don't even have insurance, or don't even have a clue how much they are paying into their employer's plan.

This is how the right wing propaganda machine works but parroting the same lies over and over again, the ignorant sheep eventually believe it.

Measured against the insane apocalyptic numbers that the rightwing propaganda machine, including the inmates here, have been throwing around,

this Gallup number, as unreliable as it is,

at least proves that the Right has been full of shit all along.

and there is no way to drain it out of their systems!

Sorry man. The last analysis I saw said the average middle class American will pay 41% more under Obamacare for insurance than pre-ACA.

Basically, the ACA is a huge new tax on middle class America. And it's funny, but don't Dems say they "stand up for the middle class." :lol:

oh, they do, they always do - only they drop one word in admitting what is their CONSTANT goal - they stand to ROB the middle class - that how it should be read

People vote for things all the time that get overturned in the courts as being unconstitutional. Just because the people want it, doesn't mean they get to have it. That's why we have the Bill of Rights

-Geaux

If one considers this( below) - it will be at least 70% of the Americans being hurt:

ObamaCare Tax: Full List of ObamaCare Taxes

ObamaCare Taxes That Directly Affect the Average American

• 40% Excise Tax "Cadillac" on high-end Premium Health Insurance Plans 2018 ( which will be ANY employer-sponsored PPO plan by that tooime given the skyrocketing costs. heck, it already is)

• An annual $63 fee levied by ObamaCare on all plans (decreased each year until 2017 when pre-existing conditions are eliminated) to help pay for insurance companies covering the costs of high-risk pools.

• Medicine Cabinet Tax
Over the counter medicines no longer qualified as medical expenses for flexible spending accounts (FSAs), health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), health savings accounts (HSAs), and Archer Medical Saving accounts (MSAs).

• Additional Tax on HSA/MSA Distributions
Health savings account or an Archer medical savings account, penalties for spending money on non-qualified medical expenses. 10% to 20% in the case of a HSA and from 15% to 20% in the case of a MSA.

• Flexible Spending Account Cap 2013
Contributions to FSAs are reduced to $2,500 from $5,000.

• Medical Deduction Threshold tax increase 2013
Threshold to deduct medical expenses as an itemized deduction increases to 10% from 7.5%.

• Individual Mandate (the tax for not purchasing insurance if you can afford it) 2014
Starting in 2014, anyone not buying "qualifying" health insurance must pay an income tax surtax at a rate of 1% or $95 in 2014 to 2.5% in 2016 on profitable income above the tax threshold. The total penalty amount cannot exceed the national average of the annual premiums of a "bronze level" health insurance plan on ObamaCare exchanges.

• Premium Tax Credits for Small Businesses 2014 (not a tax)

• Advanced Premium Tax Credits for Individuals and Families 2014 (not a tax)

• Medical Loss Ratio (MRL): Premium rebates (not a tax)

• Medicare Tax on Investment Income 3.8% over $200k/$250k

• Medicare Part A Tax increase of .9% over $200k/$250k

Forum List

Back