Galaxy is CRAMMED with EARTHLIKE WORLDS

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"Fresh data from the Kepler space telescope shows at least a fifth of stars surveyed have Earth-like planets in a "Goldilocks" orbit – a habitable sweet spot that's not too hot or too cold for liquid water – and that's just the stars we can see.

Of the 150,000 stars in our Milky Way galaxy snapped by the NASA probe in the past three years, more than 3,000 planets have been identified. Scientists then focused on the stars similar to our Sun and tried to find planets between one and two times the size of Earth in those stars' Goldilocks orbital zones.

Their findings suggest that 22 per cent of those stars had planets about the size of Earth that could harbor liquid water – a basic building block for life as we know it. The team said the actual total could be much higher given the difficulty involved in finding them. Kepler relies on seeing planets pass directly in front of the target star on the same orbital plane as the telescope."

Galaxy is CRAMMED with EARTHLIKE WORLDS ? plus, possibly ALIENS ? The Register

goldilocks_planets.jpg

keppler_field.jpg

Looks like a new places for vacations...:2up:

Absolutely fascinating, Connery! What a universe! Greater than the mind can fathom! When I think about my God being the One who Spoke this all into existence? I think there is nothing my God cannot do. He is awesome. - Jeri

• Banned
Absolutely fascinating, Connery! What a universe! Greater than the mind can fathom! When I think about my God being the One who Spoke this all into existence? I think there is nothing my God cannot do. He is awesome. - Jeri

I'm fascinated by this and excited about all the possibilities human race can experience.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I would love to travel the galaxy and explore it all. To me that would be the absolute ultimate experience. Out of this world. Literally! - Jeri

Until we figure out faster then light travel or suspended animation they're out of reach unfortunately.
But it sure would be cool to be the first humans to colonize a new planet.
The hunting and fishing would be kick ass!!!

"Fresh data from the Kepler space telescope shows at least a fifth of stars surveyed have Earth-like planets in a "Goldilocks" orbit – a habitable sweet spot that's not too hot or too cold for liquid water – and that's just the stars we can see.

Of the 150,000 stars in our Milky Way galaxy snapped by the NASA probe in the past three years, more than 3,000 planets have been identified. Scientists then focused on the stars similar to our Sun and tried to find planets between one and two times the size of Earth in those stars' Goldilocks orbital zones.

Their findings suggest that 22 per cent of those stars had planets about the size of Earth that could harbor liquid water – a basic building block for life as we know it. The team said the actual total could be much higher given the difficulty involved in finding them. Kepler relies on seeing planets pass directly in front of the target star on the same orbital plane as the telescope."

goldilocks_planets.jpg

keppler_field.jpg

that is pretty cool

one would expect this to be the case

thanks for sharing

• Banned

goldilocks_planets.jpg

keppler_field.jpg

that is pretty cool

thanks for sharing

Such a dreamy escape right now....hopefully the human race will get a chance to actually travel and explore these wonders.

goldilocks_planets.jpg

keppler_field.jpg

that is pretty cool

thanks for sharing

Such a dreamy escape right now....hopefully the human race will get a chance to actually travel and explore these wonders.

I've always thought I was born way to late. To have been amongst the first settlers crossing America would have been very cool.
I guess I can add born to early to the list now that you've made me think about it.
The stars are definitely the next frontier. But there are some serious technological hurdles we'll have to overcome.
If you can freeze female eggs and the mans little guys for extended periods.....?
Putting them together at the end of the journey would be the problem. Talk about your test tube baby.

• Banned
that is pretty cool

thanks for sharing

I've always thought I was born way to late. To have been amongst the first settlers crossing America would have been very cool.

I guess I can add born to early to the list now that you've made me think about it.

The stars are definitely the next frontier. But there are some serious technological hurdles we'll have to overcome.

If you can freeze female eggs and the mans little guys for extended periods.....?

Putting them together at the end of the journey would be the problem. Talk about your test tube baby.

I don't about being born too early or too late being part of this discovery, this part of our new journey, is exciting in and of itself. To help prepare and help pave the way for our children and children's children is a reward that stands alone. To me this is no different than when I prepare breakfast and take my son to school every morning.

Well, let's find our StarGate and get out there!

It's RACIST man.. Racist I tell ya --- to be looking only for "life as we know it"..

As if you wouldn't want methane drinking, silicon stuffed, hermaphoditic lifeforms living in the neighborhood.
(Yep, I already have those neighbors)

The only thing that matters here is how they VOTE and whether they keep their pets off my lawn...

Last edited:
Crammed and we'll have wiped ourselves out before we ever get to one of them. Sucks being on the ass end of the Galaxy when you have the universal speed limit screwing up your day.

I'm fascinated by this and excited about all the possibilities human race can experience.

Well if nature here is any indication..

Obliteration or enslavement by superior beings in not on the list of desirable possibilities for me.

:eusa_shifty:

If they wanted to exterminate us they would have done so by now.

Um..

We are the most advanced species on the planet and we are still discovering new life forms on our "little" blue space ship.

I imagine the reason we still exist is because no more advance species has found us..

Yet.

If they wanted to exterminate us they would have done so by now.

Um..

We are the most advanced species on the planet and we are still discovering new life forms on our "little" blue space ship.

I imagine the reason we still exist is because no more advance species has found us..

Yet.

That -- and we live in "fly-over" country.. The intergalactic Garmin network shows no fuel or food for lightyears around here..

I don't about being born too early or too late being part of this discovery, this part of our new journey, is exciting in and of itself. To help prepare and help pave the way for our children and children's children is a reward that stands alone. To me this is no different than when I prepare breakfast and take my son to school every morning.

To have been among the first settlers crossing America would have been very cool.

i dont know about cool

out here in South Dakota we often wonder what it must have been like

travelling across the prairie in its natural state in a wooden wagon

pulled by your cow

most of your worldly possessions left behind

lucky to make it a couple of miles a day

that is pretty cool

thanks for sharing

As it is the journey to another star system would take so long that humans on the ship would be so inbred they would have forgotten where they were going or why.

To have been among the first settlers crossing America would have been very cool.

i dont know about cool

out here in South Dakota we often wonder what it must have been like

travelling across the prairie in its natural state in a wooden wagon

pulled by your cow

most of your worldly possessions left behind

lucky to make it a couple of miles a day

You wouldnt know anything different. And yeah I've thought about crossing Texas in a wagon and the hardships they must have faced.
A few years ago I took a three day trip from Vegas to Barstow through the desert using the original wagon trails and stopping at the springs the settlers used. You had to carry an extra fifteen gallons of gas to make the trip.
That had to be one hell of a trip in a wagon!

I like the idea of heading west and just taking your pick of land. What an opportunity!!

Forum List

Back