G.I. Joe: The Movie [1987]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
G.I. Joe: The Movie is an action-packed rendition of the iconic 1980s cartoon series about American paramilitary crusaders called 'G.I. Joes' tackling a nefarious super-terrorist organization known as Cobra.

This rather graphic and unusual full-length film adaptation of a cartoon-series presents the story of Cobra agents allying with a mysterious new 'metaphysics faction' including Golobulus and Pythona to plot an immense new biochemical poison related global terrorism scheme for planetary revolution.

Fortunately, the G.I. Joes rally and coordinate their efforts while the Cobras begin to self-implode, betraying their own hierarchies and ousting their 'chancellor of mischief' Cobra Commander so Serpentor, Mindbender, and Golobulus can rule more 'viciously' alongside the ceaselessly-scheming Pythona.

This was one of the first youth-oriented mass-marketed media presenting ideas regarding the modern threat of terrorism in the global landscape. Since the popularity of G.I. Joe (Hasbro/Marvel) media (e.g., comic books, cartoons, toys, and full-length American films), there has been much more media about terrorism-control (e.g., The Purge: Anarchy, The Post, Spy Game, etc., etc.).

So this 'politics-workpaper original' reminds us of the generic value of openly talking about terrorism in times of great human mobilization.

This cartoon-film is both adventurous and spiritually-pensive, and the end-sequence involving 'leviathan' oriented monsters/creatures reminds us that terrorism is always like a diary...

G.I. Joe: The Movie is also a nice Blu-ray experience, and it offers a cartoon-excellence viewing option. I give this ambitious project 4/5 stars, if I afford a calamity-creative 'cartoon-movie' such as Voltron: Fleet of Doom a full 5/5 stars.

eagle.jpg

{re-interpretation dialogue}
====

DUKE: Pythona is going to turn Cobra into a cesspool.
COBRA COMMANDER: She and Serpentor have plans...
DUKE: You've been ousted (if that's possible)!
COBRA COMMANDER: Never underestimate the will of terrorists.
DUKE: Power contradictions will always be the downfall of Cobra.
COBRA COMMANDER: We have our challenges but also our vision.
DUKE: Your 'vision' is one of merciless global domination.
COBRA COMMANDER: Terrorism is a reality of politics, not merely a 'plot.'
DUKE: Without governance-idealism, there's no point to negotiation.
COBRA COMMANDER: That's very 'upbeat,' but we 'scavengers' seek efficiency.
DUKE: Perhaps government can be too bureaucratic, but eco-toxins aren't cures.
COBRA COMMANDER: Pythona/Golobulus want to make Cobra a 'nihilism-station.'
DUKE: I fear the day when terrorism creates 'many heads.'
COBRA COMMANDER: It's a dragon out there, so I propose we help each other...
DUKE: I worry you'll scurry away once danger emerges and threatens Cobra.
COBRA COMMANDER: I'm more 'resourceful' than people imagine.
DUKE: Let's make this 'Cobra-war' symbolic of a general aspiration for sanity!
COBRA COMMANDER: I wonder what will become of the mean Pythona?

====

gijoem1.png

Forum List

Back