The Getaway [1972]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The Getaway is a 1972 American neo-noir crime film directed by Sam Peckinpah. The screenplay, written by Walter Hill, is based on Jim Thompson's 1958 novel The Getaway. The film stars Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw, Ben Johnson, Al Lettieri and Sally Struthers. In the story, imprisoned mastermind robber Carter "Doc" McCoy (McQueen), whose wife Carol (MacGraw) conspires for his release on the condition they rob a bank in Texas. A double-cross follows the crime and the McCoys are forced to flee forMexico with the police and criminals in hot pursuit (source of information: Wikipedia).

This very gritty and gripping crime-romance adventure (which is what I call it rather than a simple 'neo-noir crime film') is much more stark and emotionally 'raw' than say a 'normal' crime-film such as Bonnie and Clyde or The Newton Boys. Plus, it features the very chemical on-screen romance between McQueen and MacGraw, and it introduced modern film audiences to the idea that characters can make or break a story. In earlier eras of films, we really saw the environment or story events 'shape' the feel of the movie experience.

We shouldn't expect anything 'bland' from Peckinpah anyway, a film-maker who gave us the jarring cinematic 'gems' The Wild Bunch (William Holden) and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (James Coburn).

In one very jarring and complicated sequence in The Getaway, we learn that MacGraw's character has made sexual 'contracts' with a ruthless crime-boss so that her beau (McQueen's character) can get a much-needed break, and this 'revelation' deeply sinks into the character of Doc McCoy (McQueen). However, the two lovers 'endure' and resolve to make their bizarre 'adventure' symbolic of their mutual 'faith.'

What really affected me about this Peckinpah film was the way that it compelled me to ask, "Does shocking honesty affect the human psyche more than subtle peace?"

This is a cinematic 'trophy' which is why I compare it to Arthur Penn's Dead of Winter and Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.

{re-interpretation dialogue}
====

CAROL: You were in a jam, so I had to compromise to save you.
DOC: You sold your soul and thought I'd just smile?
CAROL: I'm your girl...
DOC: Well, you certainly didn't refrain from anything!
CAROL: We had no choice; you had no choice...
DOC: Stop being honest.
CAROL: I'm faithful to you.
DOC: We'll be demonized by ghouls.
CAROL: At least we'll live...together!
DOC: Alright, but in the future, consult with me.
CAROL: Wow, that's gratitude.
DOC: Shut up!
CAROL: Lead on...
DOC: God help us.
CAROL: I thought you were Christian.

====

poster1.jpg

The Getaway is a 1972 American neo-noir crime film directed by Sam Peckinpah. The screenplay, written by Walter Hill, is based on Jim Thompson's 1958 novel The Getaway. The film stars Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw, Ben Johnson, Al Lettieri and Sally Struthers. In the story, imprisoned mastermind robber Carter "Doc" McCoy (McQueen), whose wife Carol (MacGraw) conspires for his release on the condition they rob a bank in Texas. A double-cross follows the crime and the McCoys are forced to flee forMexico with the police and criminals in hot pursuit (source of information: Wikipedia).

This very gritty and gripping crime-romance adventure (which is what I call it rather than a simple 'neo-noir crime film') is much more stark and emotionally 'raw' than say a 'normal' crime-film such as Bonnie and Clyde or The Newton Boys. Plus, it features the very chemical on-screen romance between McQueen and MacGraw, and it introduced modern film audiences to the idea that characters can make or break a story. In earlier eras of films, we really saw the environment or story events 'shape' the feel of the movie experience.

We shouldn't expect anything 'bland' from Peckinpah anyway, a film-maker who gave us the jarring cinematic 'gems' The Wild Bunch (William Holden) and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (James Coburn).

In one very jarring and complicated sequence in The Getaway, we learn that MacGraw's character has made sexual 'contracts' with a ruthless crime-boss so that her beau (McQueen's character) can get a much-needed break, and this 'revelation' deeply sinks into the character of Doc McCoy (McQueen). However, the two lovers 'endure' and resolve to make their bizarre 'adventure' symbolic of their mutual 'faith.'

What really affected me about this Peckinpah film was the way that it compelled me to ask, "Does shocking honesty affect the human psyche more than subtle peace?"

This is a cinematic 'trophy' which is why I compare it to Arthur Penn's Dead of Winter and Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.

{re-interpretation dialogue}
====

CAROL: You were in a jam, so I had to compromise to save you.
DOC: You sold your soul and thought I'd just smile?
CAROL: I'm your girl...
DOC: Well, you certainly didn't refrain from anything!
CAROL: We had no choice; you had no choice...
DOC: Stop being honest.
CAROL: I'm faithful to you.
DOC: We'll be demonized by ghouls.
CAROL: At least we'll live...together!
DOC: Alright, but in the future, consult with me.
CAROL: Wow, that's gratitude.
DOC: Shut up!
CAROL: Lead on...
DOC: God help us.
CAROL: I thought you were Christian.

====

View attachment 186917

good flick

Forum List

Back