Fun Watching Wesminister Dog Show

I love the Dog Show. It's my favorite TV event (behind the World Series, Super Bowl and NHL playoffs of course..). It's really entertaining! . A few years ago this Bichon Frise won "Best in Show" at Westminster and the dog reacted in a way that made me believe that the dog KNEW he had won..it was incredible. Here is the video- it's truly "must see" TV.

2001 Westminster Dog Show Winner - JR - YouTube

Aww. How cute is that dog.

The show's commentator said that they are one of the most intelligent breeds, unlike the Irish Setter. I really don't care about the intelligence of a dog, unless the purpose for having the dog would be utilitarian, but do care about their temperment and how that works with mine. Pekes are ferocious little "tiger dogs" as they were dubbed in China as they guarded the gates of the emperors. They WERE larger then with longer noses. My Pekes were all very mellow with fun personlities. Just perfectly suited for my needs.

I have not liked the breeding for coat, as breeders are doing, You can't see their adorable little bodies. I prefer, as my first Peke had, a shorter coat. As did my 4th Peke.

I also loved my Papillon: A red and white, bred for pet quality. He was a bit hyper, though. As are terrier breeds. These dogs need room to run and lots of exercise.

Here's my Pap . One of these also took BIS at Westminster.

Happybest2-1-2.jpg
NOTHING can hold a candle to a WIENER dog, EVER. ; )

This one placed in his category.

The Westminster Kennel Club | Breed Information: Dachshund (Wirehaired)
This is an adorable pup.

I loved every minute of the presentation. Such magnificent looking canines. Best in Show went for the 4th time, to a Pekinese. I have owned 4 of this breed and two were bred for show. My first and favorite of them all, was a cinnamon Peke, pet quality. I prefer pet quality as their overall health is often better as the show dogs are bred for beauty and perfection to the standard without concern for health.

I have known scrupulous breeders who breed with all qualities in mind though, but it is hard to "vet" them...:D

Here is a picture of my two show dogs. It is pretty rare for Whites to have good show qualities, but I found the best, and noooo, I didn't show them, I loved and treated them, as I would kids...

DiorandPia-1.jpg

One of my daughter's dogs is a Pekinese. I don't mean to offend but I have heard that they are not to bright. The one she has is a short hair Pekinese. That winner last night had so much hair!

I like those moppy type dogs maybe they're Spaniels? They just look so comical walking around with all that hair. :)

The show's commentator said that they are one of the most intelligent breeds, unlike the Irish Setter. I really don't care about the intelligence of a dog, unless the purpose for having the dog would be utilitarian, but do care about their temperment and how that works with mine. Pekes are ferocious little "tiger dogs" as they were dubbed in China as they guarded the gates of the emperors. They WERE larger then with longer noses. My Pekes were all very mellow with fun personlities. Just perfectly suited for my needs.

I have not liked the breeding for coat, as breeders are doing, You can't see their adorable little bodies. I prefer, as my first Peke had, a shorter coat. As did my 4th Peke.

I also loved my Papillon: A red and white, bred for pet quality. He was a bit hyper, though. As are terrier breeds. These dogs need room to run and lots of exercise.

Happybest2-1-2.jpg

Yup I saw that Westminster and that Pap was Loteki Supernatural Being. What a great little guy he was. I can still see him standing in the big Westminster trophy bowl and letting everyone know he was the winnerl. He passed in 2007. Super little guy. He was the only dog ever to win all three internationals shows in the same year.

Didn't think much of the Peke that won. All hair. How can you check a dog out that has that much hair??

Of course I'm a GSD fan and really like Captain Crunch the Shepherd that Jimmy Moses won the Herding Group with.

That dogs daddy Dallas also won the herding group at Westminster. Several times I think.

Moses was the handler for Covey Tucker Hills Manhattan the GSD that won best in show at Westminster in 87. He and Altanas Mysticque another GSD were probably the winningest best in show dogs in history.

Hatter is the only Herding dog that has ever won at Westminster. He was partialy owned, and lived with, Joan Firestone and what a dog he was.

Last edited:
The dog show is on again right now (it started at 3) till 9 on CNBC.

Just flipping through the channels and saw it. The Pekinese just won his group.

Happybest2-1-2.jpg
NOTHING can hold a candle to a WIENER dog, EVER. ; )

This one placed in his category.

The Westminster Kennel Club | Breed Information: Dachshund (Wirehaired)
That is a beautiful pup.

Forum List

Back