Fukushima’s Final Costs Will Approach A Trillion Dollars

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
For a year or two, I’ve been asserting that the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster would cost closer to a trillion US dollars when all costs were accounted for. Recently, I was challenged on this point and decided to document and argue my thesis.

Let’s start with principle accountability. Yes, if the tsunami had not occurred, the Fukushima reactor would not have a problem. But that’s facile. If a wind or solar farm had been where the reactor is, it would have been destroyed and the loss would have been trivial in comparison.

It’s also important to point out that the earthquake and tsunami killed thousands directly and slightly fewer indirectly. The reactor meltdown is expected to statistically shorten the lives of a few people. This isn’t a cost comparison of lethality, or a diminishment of the lethality of the earthquake and tsunami.

However, it’s important to understand that the nuclear generator is core to a series of follow-on costs.

Fukushima's Final Costs Will Approach A Trillion Dollars Just For Nuclear Disaster | CleanTechnica

Related story;

Forum List

Back